Flooded the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
would probably result in his men in full battle kit all drowning in about 15 feet of water.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Didn't they used to lose tanks like this in the 2nd World war.?

Weird how these people make it into responsible positions. I guess they just get lucky most of the time.

I know think I was more lucky when I drove through a bit of river that came over the bonnet. twice.

My car still works okay, but by the sound of it, only by luck.

I had a call from the dealer to update me on the situation.
The engine is running and "sounds OK" :bannana: but they have to get access to some more control modules so the insurance assessor can do another inspection.
I don't know what they had to do to get the engine to run. I don't think it was much apart from drying it out and disconnecting some faulty modules to remove the abnormal heavy electrical load. I am fairly sure they didn't strip it down much.
I guess there is slightly more hope for it to be resurrected rather than written off but still not certain.
It would be nice to get my CDs and DVD back that are stuck in the changer / drive though.

Ady , the only problem ( if you accept it back ) is that water damage can manifest itself a long time afterwards . Corroded connections , damaged computer bits etc ...

Worse case scenario , you accept it back and then a few months down the line it all goes mad and then it's on your back , as you have accepted the car back.

As mentioned,

Where do you stand if they don't write it off and you accept only for bits to start failing in a few months or a year time.

Once water has got into electrical bits.....not great.

I think I would try to push for a write off as I doubt they can offer any sort of warranty to cover the fact that 'they' say its ok.

Ady , the only problem ( if you accept it back ) is that water damage can manifest itself a long time afterwards . Corroded connections , damaged computer bits etc ...

Worse case scenario , you accept it back and then a few months down the line it all goes mad and then it's on your back , as you have accepted the car back.

As mentioned,

Where do you stand if they don't write it off and you accept only for bits to start failing in a few months or a year time.

Once water has got into electrical bits.....not great.

I think I would try to push for a write off as I doubt they can offer any sort of warranty to cover the fact that 'they' say its ok.

Good advice. We had a fire at home years ago which didn't take hold but the house was very smoke damaged. The insurance guy wrote everything off, even the TV (which was working) as the damage done by the smoke won't show up immediately.

I finally got an answer from the insurance company a couple of weeks ago and it was written off. The estimate to repair was £9500. They mentioned it would need a new wiring loom as the connectors had started to corrode.
We got a pretty good deal from the insurance company so can't complain there but I feel down about it going that way.
I have gone for a BMW 525i SE to replace it as it works out to be more economical on tax than another E-Class.
Mind you I am going to miss the comfortable ride of the air suspension as the BMW is a bit harsh in comparison.
If the situation was different then I would have waited for the new E-Class to come along before deciding as I believe the new engines are looking pretty good. Still maybe in 4 - 5 years I will be back with a Merc.
I would like to thank everyone for the support over the last 5 years and I must say you are a good group with a good forum. I will probably drop by from time to time to see what is going on.

Best regards to everyone,
Ady.

No need to not stick around just becauase you are going to the dark side ...

Lots of dark siders on here .... ;)

Stick around Ady. Followed your posts with interest. Shame it was a write off but Im sure its for the best. Someone did post, that better a write off now than probs for you later. Im sure you will be back behind the star before too long. Good Luck with the beemer. May the force be with you.

The petrol BMWs are fairly solid reliable engines. Is it a manual or auto. fuzzer has a 520d estate and it seemed nice, if a bit dark inside. You'll find the noise the I6 BMW makes is addicative, it will be cheap to tax, but not so good on fuel, they need (and like to be) reved those engines.

The petrol BMWs are fairly solid reliable engines. Is it a manual or auto. fuzzer has a 520d estate and it seemed nice, if a bit dark inside. You'll find the noise the I6 BMW makes is addicative, it will be cheap to tax, but not so good on fuel, they need (and like to be) reved those engines.

I have stuck with auto and estate (sorry tourer). Also gone for the beige interior to keep it light inside. Lots of other toys as well so it has most of the things I had on the E plus some more. I know what you mean about the sound and in theory the mpg shouldn't be too much lower so with the difference in cost between petrol and diesel it should be a similar cost to run.

Stick around Ady. Followed your posts with interest. Shame it was a write off but Im sure its for the best. Someone did post, that better a write off now than probs for you later. Im sure you will be back behind the star before too long. Good Luck with the beemer. May the force be with you.

Thanks. In my mind I know your right but despite it's faults it was one of the best cars I have had so it was hard to accept it's demise.

I have stuck with auto and estate (sorry tourer). Also gone for the beige interior to keep it light inside. Lots of other toys as well so it has most of the things I had on the E plus some more. I know what you mean about the sound and in theory the mpg shouldn't be too much lower so with the difference in cost between petrol and diesel it should be a similar cost to run.

BMW will tell you the gearbox is sealed for life and the oil will last the life time of the car. What they mean is 100k miles. Get it changed before then.

The car sounds nice, and with beige inside it will be light and airy in there.

I had a phone call yesterday from a gentleman that had just bought my old car off e-bay. So today I dropped off the remaining bits that were not in the car when the insurance company took it away, e.g spare key.
He seems confident that he can get it going again so I wish him good luck.

He probably will get it going agin , but it'll go mad in 6 months time ...

He probably will get it going agin , but it'll go mad in 6 months time ...

Pity the poor guy who buys it from him - although I am SURE he would have told them its history....;)

Fortunately the history will be on the HPI check, the car is a write off so is recorded.

True - if the buyer runs a HPI check ..is it also marked on the V5 ?

True - if the buyer runs a HPI check ..is it also marked on the V5 ?

Not on V5, no reason for it to be.

Would you buy a 4 year old Merc without running an HPI check.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom