Floods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Since we are in drought conditions and have a hosepipe ban inevitable really.

Torrential rain yesterday. Wife calls to tell me that she has had a terrible time driving through the Chobham area this morning as the village centre plus some outlying areas are under standing water. Roads closed, stranded cars.

Gets to Lightwater to find people bailing out their houses! Yes, The River Bourne has flooded a bit.

Is there an Environment Agency Flood warning in place? No.

Satch said:
Torrential rain yesterday. Wife calls to tell me that she has had a terrible time driving through the Chobham area this morning as the village centre plus some outlying areas are under standing water. Roads closed, stranded cars.

Send some down here PLEASE!! pretty please :). We do not have a draught order, nor a hosepipe ban, but we desperately need rain, but it has to be before this week-end:D Our grass is brown dust, and the bird bath needs topping up every day poor old critta's are desperate for drinking water. Rain, we need rain.

I hope your floods do not cause any problems,

Take care,
John

Grrrr!

Last edited:
Just spent a merry 10 minutes on the phone to the Environment Agency Local Office. Ah, my taxes are well spent.

As we were not expecting such heavy rain, there was nothing to warn people about.

The current flooding does not warrant a flood warning as it is expected to subside in the next day or so. Oh yes and really it is down to the drains not coping so nothing to do with us.

Yes we know all about it because lots of people are calling to tell us their houses are flooded and that roads are closed. In fact the local authorities concerned are handing out sandbags on request.

No we are not going to put out a Flood warning notice. So there.

All of which is complete rubbish: excess water draining off the surrounding land has caused the River Bourne to burst its banks yet again. But per the Environment Agency this is not a flood!

Satch said:
Just spent a merry 10 minutes on the phone to the Environment Agency Local Office.

Utter waste of time,

I work for them , morale is so low at the moment that its almost untrue .....

Howard said:
Utter waste of time,

Yes, I get that impression. Can find time to speak to BBC local radio but it seems not talk to Local Authorities nor issue communications via the very expensive flood warning infrastructure:

"Chris Mitchell, Environment Agency spokesman, said 65 properties had been flooded after 83mm (3in) of rain had fallen in certain areas.

A flood warning is in place for the Hoe Stream between Normandy and Woking.

Mr Mitchell said the flooded properties included 25 in Lightwater, 20 in Chobham, 10 in Bagshot, five in Ash and another five in Windlesham.

Localised downpours

The Lightwater Stream, Chobham Bourne, and the Addlestone and Hale Bournes had all burst their banks.

Mr Mitchell said that flooding was so bad flood officers were unable to get into Chobham to access affected properties. "

Satch said:
Yes, I get that impression. Can find time to speak to BBC local radio but it seems not talk to Local Authorities nor issue communications via the very expensive flood warning infrastructure:
[/I]

That's right, they make all the right noises but as an effective government agency , you might as well eat your own foot rather than wait for them to act upon anything .....

Can you tell i am a bit depressed and bitter ?

Howard said:
Utter waste of time,

you wanna try getting milk airside just to make your cup of tea or coffee for your 12hour sit down. no soup either, or fruit juice. No liquids airside. none!!

we have decided to comply fully and are draining our eyes as we speak.

And have you ever heard of Roger Harmen?

Howard said:
Can you tell i am a bit depressed and bitter ?

Not at all.

A litle further digging reveals that a Flood Watch was in fact issued at 20.35 last evening but an all clear given at 08.06 this morning. Which will no doubt come as a great comfort to those who left for work this morning thinking all was well and will return home tonight to find their homes flooded.

Last edited:
scumbag said:
And have you ever heard of Roger Harmen?

No, i have heard of John Harman though, he's some sort of EA bigwig ....

Let me put it into perspective of how toothless and useless the EA is :-

Just where i work ,

The lights leading onto our weir structure do not work and haven't for the last 3 years ( a dangerous structure that we have to go onto in the dark) and the Agency apparently puts Health and Safety first ..... there are wires everywhere , where successive electricians have tried to fix it and failed ....

The bridge over our lock cut and weirstream was repainted by the council with EA approval this year, many hundreds of kilos of lead based paint fell into the Thames as they were shot blasting ( they didn't put up the covers that they said they would ) , we reported it to polution control , was anything done about it ? what do you think ?

Numerous diesel spillages reported by us , and with us knowing who the perpetrators are have gone unenforced ....

Our nearest fishing bailiff is based in Crossness , hence we never see them and why we have hoards of immigrants fishing the tidal Thames dry and killing everything they catch .... when we report it , does anyone ever show up ? Hmmmmmm

A restaurant across from the lock set off a massive firework display ( illegal to launch fireworks over the river) while it had approximately half a million pounds worth of boats in the lock ... rockets everywhere ! very dangerous .... action taken ..... Nil .....

We never see a patrol launch or a team leader as ( its too far to come from Molesey) hence we have numerous pikie boats on the moorings that are unlicensed and pumping raw sewage into the river from their toilets .....action taken ?...... Nothing ...

I could go on, but it will begin to bore you .... it bores me now !

When i first started, an old timer lock keeper said, 'your're all eager now but give it a few years, they'll grind you down !'

I didn't believe him, but i do now !

PS . We get flood warnings from the Thames Barrier on our internal system sometimes 2 days out of date ! God help everyone if they actually have to use it to defend London ....

Last edited:
Howard said:
No, i have heard of John Harman though, he's some sort of EA bigwig ....

Roger is realted to him. He is the northern area something or other emergency whatyamacallit geezer

Well he does wear a wig! as I found out to his cost when i bumped into him whilst he was telling us how bad pouring milk down the drain is and how Chloroflourosurfactancts are killing polar bears!

scumbag said:
and how Chloroflourosurfactancts are killing polar bears!

Do you know why polar bears do not eat penguins?

GRAV888 said:
Guess we'll all be washing our cars at yours this weekend then:rock:

:D :D If only we could get them into the rear garden!! :) Wash the cars and water the grass at the same time :) :)

I feel sorry for Satch, his situation reminds me about the Billy Connolly in the film, 'The Man who Sued God'. His boat was sunk when it was struck by lightening and caught fire. The insurance refused to pay out because the lightening was an 'Act of God', so he set about suing God!! Brilliant film, and are these flash floods an 'Act of God'?

The link gives it a poor review, but I would simply say, each to their own, it was light hearted entertainment and certainly NOT to be taken seriously.

John

Gollom said:
Do you know why polar bears do not eat penguins?

yes thanks i do

a, polar bears come from the artic, penguins dont.

b, they cant get the wrappers off.

glojo said:
I feel sorry for Satch, his situation reminds me about the Billy Connolly in the film, 'The Man who Sued God'.
John

Excellent film indeed.

scumbag said:
yes thanks i do

a, polar bears come from the artic, penguins dont.

b, they cant get the wrappers off.

Curses! Foiled again!

:crazy:

glojo said:
Send some down here PLEASE!! pretty please :). We do not have a draught order, nor a hosepipe ban, but we desperately need rain,
John

You must be joking! We've got a hosepipe ban and a drought order, and you want us to send our rain down to you?? :mad:

The only legal way to keep our cars clean is to pay a (probably illegal) immigrant to wash it, and because of the drought order they (say that they) bring their water down from Liverpool in tanks on the back of a lorry.

What is this country coming to?? Surely a National Water Grid wouldn't be too expensive to ship water from Wales/Scotland to dry parts of the UK. The only problem of course is that this would dent Water Co. profits from supplying what, to them, is a free raw material.

Howard, your tales if the EA and their lack of action is truly depressing! I used to live just near the Thames in Walton, and used to love riding my mountain bike along the river bank down to Richmond and back (no risk of having to ride up mountains on the river bank!). The Weir pub was a most convenient watering hole!

Satch said:

"Chris Mitchell, Environment Agency spokesman, said 65 properties had been flooded after 83mm (3in) of rain had fallen in certain areas.

A flood warning is in place for the Hoe Stream between Normandy and Woking.

Mr Mitchell said the flooded properties included 25 in Lightwater, 20 in Chobham, 10 in Bagshot, five in Ash and another five in Windlesham.

Localised downpours

The Lightwater Stream, Chobham Bourne, and the Addlestone and Hale Bournes had all burst their banks.

Mr Mitchell said that flooding was so bad flood officers were unable to get into Chobham to access affected properties. "

Hmm, they missed the fact that stages 11-14 of the L2 BFTO Pistol comp were washed away halfway through the afternoon. It's bloody difficult to shoot a target when it's under 3ft of water...

DolphiN Tech said:
Hmm, they missed the fact that stages 11-14 of the L2 BFTO Pistol comp were washed away halfway through the afternoon. It's bloody difficult to shoot a target when it's under 3ft of water...

I understand the NSRA meeting did become a little damp

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/content/content.asp?site=NRA&id=306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom