Floor paint recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

I am in the final stages of building a shed/garage/man cave and would like some advice on a suitable floor paint.
The floor is power floated concrete and has a smooth finish.

Concerns are the floor paint sticking adequately to the shiny surface and putting the paint on too soon.

Any advice on a suitable paint?

Thanks

Last edited:
You'll need a primer for power floated concrete then paint as normal. Go to your local Johnstones trade centre and they'll advise. I recently painted my garage floor with their Flortred paint which is fine for domestic garages. They also do a two pack version for heavier duty but it is much more expensive.

Wow...that's massive! When's the lift going in?

Last edited:
If you could make me one the same with a bed and a microwave... i will move in tomorrow.

Not much I can tell you about floor but your shed looks fantastic... What are the plans for that ? Workshop ? Restoring cars... Running away from family ?

TG

You could ask Ollie at PCS.
I remember him using a floor paint in his workshops and saying it was rubbish. I recall him painting the floor again a few years ago, so he'll be a good judge I should think.

Oil/petrol/brake fluid resistance must be high on the list and also the ability to handle tyres turning.

All floor paints will be pants... its a real pain as soon or later you have to redo it..

If you are like me then your garage can only be empty once. When its full of furniture, tool boxes etc its hard to get it done properly again.

So I recommend good quality (non taiwan) interlocking floor tiles.

If you really want paint then there is some really tough industrial grade stuff out there that sets very thick like hospital floors etc. But when I priced it up the tiles were cheaper.

I used Eco-tile IIRC.

I used the same stuff in our pool house as we used in the workshops, it was a two part Johnsons applied really thickly and so far it has lasted 30 years of constant use and loads of concentrated bleach spilt on it, I am sure they must supply an even better version now.

Just be mindful that any floor paint will crack if you drop an engine block on it for example (or constant heavily laden jacks, wheel dollies etc), then you'll get water ingress when cleaning (if not sealed properly after damage).

Heres a thought.....what about polishing the concrete like they do now in kitchens for worktops etc, I personally hate the look in the house but as a garage floor polished concrete might look pretty nice.

I think what you use will depend upon your intended use and how hard your going to punish it.

I've painted mine a few times now as, like others have mentioned, it always lifts where the tyres go, especially if they're warm for some reason. I used an epoxy type two pack the last time which has been better though far from perfect and is again starting to lift.

The next time I'll be doing as Jay suggests above and going for the interlocking rubber tiles, which may even make it a bit warmer as well. :)

Many years ago at my firm there was a big, big investment. The civils guys had a couple of hundred £k left in their budget, so they had all the floors power floated and painted. Once in operation, a fork lift truck came in from the rain outside, skidded on the shiny floor and took out a £4M , newly installed machine for a week.

Next step - spend a fortune (and create a lot of dust) having the floor scrabbled and repainted in rough industrial stuff.

I used to have a similar problem in part of a plant I managed and I had the floor done at all the intersections in special resin paint with embedded abrasive. It was pricey stuff but did the job for years with 30t vehicles pounding over it. I can't remember the name of it but it's the same paint you see in front of traffic lights and at down hill junctions with a fast approach. A good googling should find it.

Get the concrete polished and seal it (Ikea style). It will be far more hard wearing than paint.

When I say "polished" I actually mean "honed" which would be no more than a #200 or #400 grit diamond finish. More than that it would become slippery.

Wow...that's massive! When's the lift going in?

Lift in, but I haven't wired it up yet or connected the chain.

Decided not to paint floor and will get interlocking tiles in time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Last edited:
Why not tile it with matte finish quarry tiles? Very strong and wear resistance is excellent.

Use a mortar bed to save spending ridiculous cost on adhesive.

Lift in, but I haven't wired it up yet or connected the chain.

Decided not to paint floor and will get interlocking tiles in time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

So much room B...and no chance of hitting the roof!!

awesome shed lol ;)

Warm Yoko's on my HSR stripped the paint from a professionally painted workshop floor...

Recommend polishing and sealing, as done in warehouses/diy stores, lasts forever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom