Flu jab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
As a type 2 diabetic I have had the jab for the last 3 - 4 years, I had mine last friday, always have slight side effects, but never the same, this year I felt slightly shivery and cold, though that has for the most part now passed.
My 85 year old mum never has any side effects just a slightly sore arm.

I'm mid 50's so try to have it every year. My wife too. She felt fine, I felt a bit nauseous and a bit shivery the next day. Glad I had it as I'd like to avoid having something nasty if I can avoid at a time when I want my immune system & respiratory bits in as good a working order as possible.......

Off to get mine next week , open house every afternoon at my surgery , no appointment, just join a socially distanced queue, which I expect will stretch out of the surgery!

Oh and even worse , my wife has an appointment to see the doctor so he volunteered to do hers at the same time, discrimination! ☹️

I have no intention of having the flu vaccine. I have never had influenza, so don't believe it worthwhile.

One cannot get influenza from the vaccine as the virus is inactivated during manufacture. If someone becomes ill after the vaccination it is probaly because they were exposed prior to or immediately after vaccination. It can take 7-10 days for the vaccine to take effect. Even then it is not 100% effective but in nearly all those who do contract influenza after vaccination it will be a less severe infection.

And yes, its possible to get flu from the vaccine!
Please stop spreading false information, it’s not a live vaccine... it’s impossible.

Plenty of information about the flu vaccine on the NHS website.

I’ve never bothered with the flu jab as I don’t usually suffer with colds and flu‘s but will all the hysteria re Covid I had a change of heart this year.
I've never bothered either but I'm getting one this year. I caught something last Xmas , I've never been so ill in my life , all the symptoms of Covid 19 , I was really unwell for about 3 weeks and lost about 10lbs in weight , so if it was just ordinary flu, I'm having the jab this year.

Well I do not have the flu jab but SWMBO always has it and made a booking about a month ago and had it in our local chemist and unlike last year she has had no side effects,it seems that the take up this year is far higher and many places have run out,expect they will get supplies in around August next year ;)

I don't usually do flu jabs but once I learned you can get Covid and flu at the same time, it seemed to be prudent.

I've had flu a few times as a youngster and a few times as an adult and proper flu which hits you hard can leave you bed-bound for a week unable to leave but for getting together enough energy for life's essentials.

I've people talk about flu when they mean a bad head cold but proper flu is tough-going.

When we both had Swine Flu, that was a tough week, but I know it killed quite a few so we were fortunate.

I've had the Flu jab every year so far. Not sure I'll bother this year, though. I seriously doubt that any Flu can circulate given the anti-COVID measures. Perhaps the only silver lining of COVID-19....

I didn't have the flu jab last winter even though it was offered. Back in March this year I was quite ill with something - a cold /flu. Whatever it was caused an infection on my lungs. Nothing too serious but it took 4 weeks for my lungs to be completely clear of it. All I thought about at the time was; at 65 I don't want Covid on top of already weakened lungs. That's the reason I've just had the flu jab even if this winter it's less likely I'll catch flu or anything else.

The lock down and other precautions since, have meant I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the illness in March. I sometimes wonder if that's a good thing as the immune system needs to be challenged now and again.

I didn't have the flu jab last winter even though it was offered. Back in March this year I was quite ill with something - a cold /flu. Whatever it was caused an infection on my lungs. Nothing too serious but it took 4 weeks for my lungs to be completely clear of it. All I thought about at the time was; at 65 I don't want Covid on top of already weakened lungs. That's the reason I've just had the flu jab even if this winter it's less likely I'll catch flu or anything else.

The lock down and other precautions since, have meant I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the illness in March. I sometimes wonder if that's a good thing as the immune system needs to be challenged now and again.
You sure that illness wasn't COVID-19?

You sure that illness wasn't COVID-19?

I didn't think so at the time because the symptoms were relatively mild. I suppose it's possible though especially since we have heard since that it was circulating earlier than first thought. I did try but back in March there was zero chance of getting a test as the NHS were not remotely interested in hearing from you unless you were ill enough to be hospitalised.

I don't usually do flu jabs but once I learned you can get Covid and flu at the same time, it seemed to be prudent.

I've had flu a few times as a youngster and a few times as an adult and proper flu which hits you hard can leave you bed-bound for a week unable to leave but for getting together enough energy for life's essentials.

I've people talk about flu when they mean a bad head cold but proper flu is tough-going.

When we both had Swine Flu, that was a tough week, but I know it killed quite a few so we were fortunate.
During swine flu, I spent several days in isolation in intensive care on Jersey. I was seriously ill, obviously, and they were concerned that I might had had swine flu, hence being put in isolation. As it was, I had an infection that made all the soft tissue in my throat and pallet swell to the point I could barely breath, let alone swallow any fluids.

. The lock down and other precautions since, have meant I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the illness in March. I sometimes wonder if that's a good thing as the immune system needs to be challenged now and again.

I have made the very same observation on the COVID thread - so far this year I was the healthiest I've been in a long time (touch wood), no cold of Flu of any type including during the winter months (Feb-Mar), so clearly the measures do work and work well. I am fully aware that this isn't a good long term solution, and that our immune systems need to be exposed to viruses, but at the same time I can't say that the short term respite isn't welcome.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom