flush out w124 heater matrix with T piece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Can you good lads help with this one please. New water pump as been fitted ,i wanted to flush out the system But the drain plug, on the block is in a place that i just cannot get to it to open it up, just no room from above.The drive as a big slope down to the house,so ramps are out.Can i use a T piece after disconecting the auxiliary water pump.To flush it .And how would i go about it ? thank you for your help. ps The pump was removed so would there be water in there .

The 'official' flushing procedure for the m104* is here... http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD1/Program/Engine/104/20-0150.pdf although most people would probably just flush the rad through with a hose pipe and then maybe fill with plain water and run it upto operating temp/take it for a spin before draining and refilling with fresh coolant. That's basically how you'd do say a citric acid flush if the cooling system is all scaled up through neglect before flushing through with plain water etc. Pretty unlikely but there's a small chance that scale/deposits can be blocking leaks in the case of a neglected system...

If you set the heater to fully hot it'll be flushed through (it needs to be set to hot when changing coolant anyway) or you could flush the heater in the same way as the rad by using it's feed and return

The block drain plug isn't a big deal, especially if the car's pointing 'nose down' on a slope. FWIW i can get to mine from above with the manifold heatshields removed but there'll be detail differences as it's an m104. You're working blind, it's a PITA and while you get more coolant out when the car is sitting level it doesn't completely empty the engine of coolant

* Unless i missed it there's nothing on that site specific to flushing the m103 but they're basically the same block. M103 cooling system... 20 Cooling System - M103

thank you

Hotrodder thanks for that.The water pump was removed ,so i dont think i have any water in the heater matrix at all ,or in the block .I flushed the block to day , and it is as clean as can be. I will do as you said ,and flush the matrix ,the inlet is passenger side from what i can see ,then i will remove outlet that goes to auxilary pump .If am right water moves from rear of engine through matrix back down drivers side bulkhead to the aux pump .Thanks your a star. I will check out the link you sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom