Flushing Fuel Tank Clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rajinder_1

Car
01' Designo SL320 , 96' C36 AMG, 98' C43 AMG Estate 19' Focus & 96' ZX6R Ninja
Hi
Does anyone know how you would flush the whole of the fuel tank on a 2001 SL????
As per my previous threads ive got some sort of fine sand/sludge that does not mix in with petrol in my tank and it was a full tank as well???

Raj

I'd start looking to see how hard it would be to get the fuel tank out, failing that then I'd be looking underneath for a drain, and failing that I'd disconnect the supply and return pipes and drain it into a three 25 litre drums.

To flush it I'd buy a few 5 litre cans of fuel, pump them round with a drill-powered pump, then drain and repeat with fresh fuel. The pump would be scrap afterwards as they aren't rated for solvents.

Managing all this and not causing an environmental alert, or blowing myself into the afterlife, would be a challenge.

That may be a bit beyond the realms of what you can easily do in the driveway. It might be worth going to a garage for this one. They probably do it quite often - I'm thinking of "wrong fuel" incidents.

Raj,
As Nick mentioned, I would feel most comfortable with the tank removed and flushed throughly since some of the gunk may be in the corners that would not be pumped out if the tank is not removed.

Good Luck,

Asif.

thanks guys, will pass on and make sure that they do it so that it dont re occur

Raj

Just a thought, but it's worth mentioning this-

If you are going to empty it, then take it out, please be aware that an empty fuel tank is just about the most dangerous thing you can play with. It's a bomb because of the vapour. Make sure you close off all of the ways into the tank with tape, then a sarnie bag, then tape. You don't want to be making sparks anywhere near an unsealed opening.

A brimful tank is a lot safer, but of course a lot heavier.

thanks nick,
I wont be doing anything to do with that, i have messed around with fuel filter once on my c class, and never again..... petrol every where including my face. I vowed never to touch or mess with anything that is flamable!!!! as a mouth full of petrol isnt the sweetest taste!!!

Raj

Very true. You can take the taste away by chewing parsley. No, wait...that's onions.

Ian B Walker said:
as posted take it out and have it steam cleaned.

Ian,
A few years ago, I had a W126 280SE M110 and I had the tank cleaned out with steam and had to replace it since it had started to loose its inner coat. This had started to cause rust inside the tank. Please advise so that we may gain a little knowledgable info.

Thanks,

Asif

Asif Kazani said:
Ian,
A few years ago, I had a W126 280SE M110 and I had the tank cleaned out with steam and had to replace it since it had started to loose its inner coat. This had started to cause rust inside the tank. Please advise so that we may gain a little knowledgable info.

Thanks,

Asif
You have a very good point to which I must concede. I was thinking back to my Military days where I used to repair fuel tanks of all sorts, using whatever came to hand quickly. However, option two :D Use a Caustic Soda solution but please remember to be protected (Human size durex? :D ) Joking aside. Caustic soda will remove the petrol eliment, however its best to let it work overnight. Flush thoroughly two or three times before thinking about refitting it.

If the fuel sender screws intot eh top of the tank via a large hole just unscrew it and pump/syphon the fuel out.
Then use water and a degreser to flush the tank and keep pumping the tank out.
There will be a depression in the tank where the fuel pickup pipe is. All the dirt will accumulate in this depression so can be sucked out.

Do not dry the tank with a hair dryer or other Sparky appliance as that will ignite the vapour causing the tank to deform.

Personally, I feel that it should only be flushed with Petrol since water, caustic soda or anything else would cause the coating inside the tank to corode no matter how hard you try to dry it all out.

Regards,

Asif.

Asif, diesel,
thank you both for your suggestions, i think it will be done woth petrol myself, i was talkng to the mechanic yesterday and thats what they were saying

Raj

Guys,
Tanks is being flushed!!! not removed from car but they have used around 2 gallons of clean petrol to flush out some of the crap, also will be changing fuel filter £55 from MB!!!!!! for a filter!!!!!! so they bought aftermarket £30!!!! they advised that they wont remove the tank but to replace filter after 500 miles another £30 ......
what do you think???? will it be ok???

Raj

Sounds like a plan. I would be inclined to flush the delivery pipe and the fuel rail as well, using the schrader valve on the front of the rail. It's probably not necessary as the filter should have caught it, but in for a penny, in for a pound. They'll probably have to do that anyway to bleed out the air bubble that are bound to get in from having emptied the tank.

rajinder_1 said:
Guys,
Tanks is being flushed!!! not removed from car but they have used around 2 gallons of clean petrol to flush out some of the crap, also will be changing fuel filter £55 from MB!!!!!! for a filter!!!!!! so they bought aftermarket £30!!!! they advised that they wont remove the tank but to replace filter after 500 miles another £30 ......
what do you think???? will it be ok???

Raj

Definately the way to do it. The one that you replace at 500 miles, you might want to make sure that it is made by the same manufacturer that makes the one Genuine one in Daimler Chrysler packaging. If it is different, then use Genuine Part. I recently replaced my newly replaced Knecht after market Air Filter with a Genuine one since the fibres were much different and knowing that kept bothering me. I think you will be better off with a Genuine Fuel Filter since it is not replaced routinely and the additional cost would be spread over quite a few thousand miles.

Regards,

Asif.

I would have thought the tank is made of either plastic or aluminium so there will be no internal coating to worry about.

Dieselman said:
I would have thought the tank is made of either plastic or aluminium so there will be no internal coating to worry about.

Worth checking but in all the cars I've owned to date, they have been metal.

The method above is ok. Keep a the filter change idea foremost. Tanks can be washed out with water with no detriment. Water (condensation) happens in tanks naturally all the time, esp on metal ones.
It does corrode the tank but only where the intrnal surface is weak. During the "life" of a vehicle this is either captured in the filter or stays at bottom of tank.

There are companies around who recoat inside fuel tanks for classic and other vehicles that need the tank refurbished.

Bazzle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom