Fly banquet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
I've wondered this for a few years, but never researched or asked...

What the hell are flies eating on my car?

I notice quite often on this and previous cars that flies like to settle on it and then proceed to eat something. When they leave, there's a tiny little black spot where they've been regurgitating whatever it is they're eating. I'm guessing it's something in the car shampoo or polish or even the lacquer?

Anything I can do to stop them? Fed up with having to get rid of the little black spots. Please don't tell me I'm the only one with cars that flies like to eat :D

Thanks,

It may be that they are simply resting on a warm car (they are cold blooded after all) and warming themselves up whilst noshing on whatever delightful meal they have managed to get!!

Hm, I've wondered that too, but if so they're resting for a long time. They seem to be attracted to the car and then stay there for hours while noshing on it.

is that your car in your profile pic - the silver SL?

I have a silver C220 - the flies around here love it! - and they loved my E46 titanium Silver BMW coupe before that! - the never sit on my wifes black VW touran.. I'm convinced it's a "Silver car" thing!

Yes, I should have mentioned that. This car is silver, my last car was a light metallic blue and they loved that too. They never settle on my wifes dark blue car though. Surely a darker colour would be absorbing more heat and warmer if it was a heat thing?

I was just reading a little about blood sucking 'blind' flies, but it seems they're supposed to prefer darker colours so the theory of them mistaking the car for an animal doesn't seem valid.

I'm convinced it's the colour that attracts them and then something else that keeps them there... polish? some residue?

Regards,

I can't recall ever seeing flies on any of the cars I have owned, but my E-Class is silver and the flies LOVE IT

Might be the bananas and coconuts in the xymol though.......:D

the annoying thing is that local wagtail and (now) robin population know that the flies love my car - so they come and hop about it to eat the flies - and leave their own little poopy calling cards all over the car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom