Flying to Washington DC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Anyone recommend a decent carrier? Is there much between BA and Virgin?

How about any of the US airlines?

Any recommendations for hotels in DC for a couple of nights?

And what web sites for best deals on flights and accommodation? I need to keep the flight and hotel bookings separate.

TIA, David.

Anyone recommend a decent carrier? Is there much between BA and Virgin?

How about any of the US airlines?

The airline experience is a mixed bag. Assuming you're going from LHR and you're flying economy because you mentioned the above two then I'd flip a coin. BA frequency on the route is probably higher.

For example: BA fly 767s, 777s, and 747s on that route and some of the aircraft can be a bit tired inside - some quite fresh. Be careful if web booking with BA because they will helpfully offer up Baltimore alongside Washington-Dulles.

We've tended to notice that booking about 3 weeks ahead or earlier gives lower price flight options if using the BA website.

I went to Washington DC with BA a few months ago, and also took a BA flight to Florida a couple of days ago (where I am now).

Nothing to report really... which is actually a goid thing. Everything was as you would expect it to be.

Immigration and customs are a bit of hit and miss though, if you are lucky it's quick, but catch a bad day and you can find yourself queueing for an hour or two.

Ad Dryce said... the BA 747-400 did have a somewhat tired interior, though not too unpleasantly so.

I've been sending my daughter to DC (Dulles) every summer since she was 8, she's now 15. First couple of times she took BA but then insisted on Virgin because food
(Gu desserts) and entertainment (on demand) were better. No difference in price.

I take BA because I collect Avios.

One thing I hate about Dulles airport is those buses that transport you from plane to terminal, just more waiting after an 8 hour flight. But they're interesting first time round as they include a lift mechanism that rises to plane level then lowers for the drive to terminal.

As a (no longer) frequent trans-atlantic commuter I would put my faith in Virgin. I flew back & forth to New York, San-Francisco, London and used most of the major carriers. Virgin never missed a beat. Their flight crew seem happy to help and have a chat. BA were very formal even aloof. American - best left unsaid.

When once Virgin happened to have a very minor whoopsie with seating for my wife (we couldn't get seats together). They responded by sending my wife a huge bunch of flowers to our home address along with a free upgrade on a future flight.

They do what they say and with a smile.

I also like women in very tight red outfits who cause irrational stirrings in my groin area just with their mere presence.

One thing I hate about Dulles airport is those buses that transport you from plane to terminal, just more waiting after an 8 hour flight. But they're interesting first time round as they include a lift mechanism that rises to plane level then lowers for the drive to terminal.

They use them to take inbound passengers from the satellite gates to the main terminal to maintain inbound / outbound separation.

As you say - first time is novelty. Second time and after is chore.

I've been lucky over my last trips as regards queues - it's been really fast. OTOH colleagues on other trips have had really long queues. It doesn't seem predictable.

When I was there 97 I say a guard unclip and hold his gun because some bloke refused to get of his mobile in the immigration queue.

Given the choice of Virgin or BA I would always choose Virgin, the crew seemm to actually enjoy the job of looking after you and making the experience as pleasant as possible.

In my experience food and in-flight entertainment are also superior on Virgin.

I used to fly from Southampton regularly to Paris or Brussels some years ago when Air France had a route. I loved the 07:00 flight, really good coffee, pastries, croque monsieur etc and on the 17:00 return flight caviar and champagne!

Based on coach-class travel, for the cabin experience I prefer Virgin to BA on that route. As others have said, the Virgin cabin crew give the impression that they actually want you to enjoy the experience and the meals / entertainment service are both good too. However...

On one flight I was unfortunate enough to be on the return leg (IAD/LHR) when there was a problem with the aircraft and we were diverted to Boston. Virgin's performance was less than stellar, and although I managed to get on another VS flight home late the next day by getting the corporate travel dept. to pull some strings, most of the other pax were stuck in Boston for more than two days. It's at times like that that BA's fleet can often get you home quicker.

One tip (whoever you fly with) is that if you can time your stay to cover a Saturday night in the USA then the flight cost plummets.

As far as hotels go, the Sofitel Lafayette Square is very pleasant and offers great deals on weekend rates. Lots of good restaurants nearby and just 5mins walk to the Whitehouse. I've also stayed at the Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard which is good. Just don't walk down to the 7-11 nearby, which is the drive-by shooting hotspot of Washington DC!

Only advice I can offer is don't fly United. OK plane on the way out to San Fran, on the way back the plane must have been older than me. Also their food is terrible. Going to San Fran again this Sat, flying BA this time so hopefully it will be a better experience.

Only advice I can offer is don't fly United. OK plane on the way out to San Fran, on the way back the plane must have been older than me. Also their food is terrible. Going to San Fran again this Sat, flying BA this time so hopefully it will be a better experience.
HAHA! I was on United flying to either Florida or New York(can't rememeber??) And believe me whilst I was queuing for the toilet, stood next to one of the emergency exits, I could clearly hear wind rustling sound! Not very air tight was it??

I have flown using BA and Virgin (a lot) in the past 18 months. (300,000 Avios points with BA alone). (thats 18 long haul flights in that period to the other side of the pond you refer to).

While I agree about Virgin staff wanting to "care more", what I have found is this:

In the past 6 months, BA have phased out the 747's on the routes I use. They all now use the new DreamLiners (with Rolls Royce Engines, so no technical issues). They have been prompt, faultless and offer a large entertainment service with on demand movies and TV programmes (almost hundreds). A lovely flying experience to behold. Therefore check out what plane is used on the route.

Also to help you decide which seat to pick in advance if you use that option, then look at seatguru (website) and it tells you which seats are best etc (location to toilet etc)

The number of flights they offer gives more freedom of choice, and like already mentioned, if a plane does malfunction, then other flights are available to get you home sooner (Don't underestimate this, if a plane is delayed etc).

BA are also part of the one-world alliance, that also includes other major carriers, so again increasing your option of using other carriers should delays happen.

BA have their own terminal at Heathrow, so you cant get lost, confused or end up at a different terminal when you fly back if you need to pick up a car etc. Again, nothing quite like ending up at a different terminal you set off from and ponder, how do I get to my car (I am from Wiltshire, so go easy on my mental map reading skills lol).

I find the food on BA slightly worse at Economy level (still okay though), but at Prem Eco, or Club Class it is pretty good. I prefer it to Virgin (Chicken and Beef are normally the choice you get, and that suits me fine being a meat eater :))))).

Lastly, if you do plan to fly more then the rewards scheme with BA is better. Avios points can be used in other places and they are not unreasonable using them for an upgrade. For example, it cost me 20,000 points to upgrade for free from Economy to Prem Economy. The fact I got 15,000 for the trip meant it only cost me 5,000 points!

Thats my two pennies worth.:)

Hi I fly to the US once every three weeks. Usually Delta LHR-DTW but BA most other places and occasionally Virgin (now that they have been bought by Delta, they offer even more internal flights than OnWorld). As AMG Black says the BA fleet has got a great deal better recently. Dreamliners are fantastic planes.

Virgin food is OK but Terminal 5 is great to fly out of, swings and roundabouts really. I prefer BA but there isn't much in it.

Both are way better than the Delta (poor food, old planes). United is definitely the worst though.

Oh and the quirky buses have been phased out at Dulles.

I have flown dozens of times to the USA and would only ever use BA. In part because they have lots of flights. I agree with the comments made by AMGBlack.

The club class and first cabins with BA are great. The food is good and the wines very good, especially in First. I returned from New York Tuesday morning with BA in first and although we flew through one of the worst storms ive ever experienced on an aeroplane, the flight was otherwise supurb.

One thing to consider (unless you hold a USA green card) is the flights from London city. BA operate the old Concorde flight numbers BA001 etc from there to the USA. The beauty of these little known services is that the entire plane is club class and they land in Shannon where you clear US customs/immigration quickly whilst the plane refuels. This means you arrive in the USA on a 'domestic' flight with no immigration to clear. Anyone who has travelled in economy to the USA and hence been at the back of the queue will understand this.

Oh and the quirky buses have been phased out at Dulles.

Are you sure?

They were still in operation for inbound international arrivals arrving at the satellite terminals just a few weeks ago. AIUI it's the way they have to separate 'unscreened' international passengers mixing with the 'screened' domestic passengers.

At LHR T5 they operate a separated transit system to get international passengers back to the main terminal for flight connections or arrivals. To mix with departing passengers you have to go through security.

The alternative is a system such is used at Amsterdam or Kuala Lumpur where there is also security at the departure gate because inbound and outbound passengers can mix.

The use of the 'quirky buses' (people movers) as general transport to and from the satellite concourses and the main terminals at IAD was phased out a few years ago when the new passenger transit train system was brought into use.

This means you arrive in the USA on a 'domestic' flight with no immigration to clear. Anyone who has travelled in economy to the USA and hence been at the back of the queue will understand this.

I used to always mange to arrive in SanFrancisco 2 minutes after a squadron of 747's from Asia had landed. The queues were almost back to the UK and could take two hours to get through. I also had (unkown to me) an invisible neon flashing sign on my head. This flashed up the words Ï enjoy being searched for drugs - Please search me" Sometimes it would change to Ï love it when you are obnoxiously rude to me and look at me like I raped your daughter"When all I have done is wait behind the line until called, smiled, handed over my passport and explained the reason for my visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom