Fog Lamps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
Yes i know i'm getting old and grumpy and driving slow but why do so many people have their Fog Lamps on in the rain and when it's dark but not when its foggy. I hardly see any drivers when it's foggy with their rear lamps on either. I guess the vast majority just don't care and take their driving seriously. Moan over, ahhhhhh that's better. T.

Why do some drivers, I see quite a lot, drive in daylight fog with only parking lights on? The same drivers don't drive at night with them, so why in fog? It makes no sense.

It's cos da kids think it looks cool to drive with just sidelights and fogs on innit.

Makes the car look aggressive innit.

Idiots.

In the same vein, when you see a car coming towards you with nice bright (but lowdown!) lights you realise that all that is on is the dreaded DRLs and therefore no rear lights even in bad weather.

I don't see the objection to fog lights during dim conditions. Since February 2011, it has been mandatory for them to be fitted to new cars on the grounds that it improves their visibility. That being the case, surely low level front fog light use is an obvious good substitute - much better in my view than dipped headlights or the ridiculous moustachioed DRLs on Audis, Jags and RRs!
What is really dazzling though is when drivers used headlights AND fog lights, day or night...!

I don't care about foglights full stop.
Never EVER been dazzled by them - night or day.

Been dazzled by badly adjusted headlights, illegal xenon fittings, rear foglights in clear conditions.

But never front foglights.

Agree with original post
It seems to me that most car drivers argue about how visible they are to other road users, and ignore the way in which bright lights in good visibility
make cyclists, pedestrians, horses, etc relatively hard to see.
Daytime dipped headlights are OK on motorways and dual carriageways, but can be a potential danger to anyone unlit on minor roads.
Used to run a pre driving course for 16 yr olds in another life,(youth worker), and the police had some pretty shocking pictures of oncoming cars in daylight
shade with and without head lights.
The `without lights` pictures showed previously invisible moped and cyclist.

Just wanted to make the point that its not always "all about me".

Why do some drivers, I see quite a lot, drive in daylight fog with only parking lights on?

As you do see them, that's all they need. Fog lights should only be used when visibility falls below 100 metres. That is pea soup thick fog.

In this modern "cotton wool" world, I find most people over react to most situations, including rain and fog.

Agree with original post
It seems to me that most car drivers argue about how visible they are to other road users, and ignore the way in which bright lights in good visibility
make cyclists, pedestrians, horses, etc relatively hard to see.
Daytime dipped headlights are OK on motorways and dual carriageways, but can be a potential danger to anyone unlit on minor roads.
Used to run a pre driving course for 16 yr olds in another life,(youth worker), and the police had some pretty shocking pictures of oncoming cars in daylight
shade with and without head lights.
The `without lights` pictures showed previously invisible moped and cyclist.

Just wanted to make the point that its not always "all about me".

It seems to me that it is everyone's responsibility to ensure they can be seen...See and be seen is a longstanding adage...

How many times do you see (at the last minute) dark coloured cars coming towards you out of the gloom? Wouldn't be a problem if they would recognise the dim lights conditions and put their bl**dy lights on.

Front fog lights are generally pencil-slim, low-level and less dazzling than dipped headlights, which these days come on automatically on many modern cars in low light situations and flood the road with bright light.

I would suggest that being confronted with oncoming fog lights is far less dazzling than looking at oncoming dipped headlights and far less likely to obscure your "previously invisible mopeds and cyclists".

In the absence of DRLs (now mandatory on new cars), if you want to be seen fog lights are a better option than dipped headlights IMHO...

Dont see the problem with front fog lights on, its the rear ones which blind you.

I don't think I can have the fogs on without the headlamps also being on, neither can I just have the rear foglight without the front foglights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom