Fog Lights in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it’s poor visibility and there is no one behind me, then I put the rear high intensity lights on. If visibility improves or someone is following me, I turn them off.
So if there's no one to see them, you turn them on, and turn them off when there is someone who might see them?

Front fog lights are a bit of bling most drivers never use (properly) or need. . I just wish if people thought switching the rears on at any time was a good idea they might also remember to switch them OFF when no longer needed. :mad:

I have long thought they should either switch off automatically with a audible sounder telling you they are going off (timer , linked to road speed ? If you speed up visibility must have improved ..no ? ) .

The fault also lies with manufacturers , I know everyone must know exactly what button does and what lamp means what on our cars , but many do not. It's just that on some cars it is not always obvious that they have been left on. Older cars were quite poor in this respect

Kent police have just added this to my Twitter feed.
So it looks like the answer is no don’t use them🙂

Attachments

• F64996BF-71C0-4A46-ADC5-1B97D13EFB48.jpeg
    F64996BF-71C0-4A46-ADC5-1B97D13EFB48.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 11
I have long thought they should either switch off automatically with a audible sounder telling you they are going off (timer , linked to road speed ? If you speed up visibility must have improved ..no ? ) .
Must admit to thinking MB have already implemented this? Speeds above 30mph and the rear fog switches off..

From the WIS doc on the rear fog light function and control for my 203 model year 8 and above.. No idea if this gets modified when UK mode coding is enabled

The rear SAM control module with fuse and relay module
(N10/2) evaluates the signal pending in the CAN interior from
the instrument cluster (A1) for the instantaneous ground
speed and actuates the fog lamp (E4e5) as the ground speed
< 60 km/h.
In accordance with the German vehicle licensing regulations
the operation of rear fog lamps in the Federal Republic of
Germany is only permitted in fog, rain or snowfall with
visibility of less than 50 m and with accordingly reduced
vehicle speed. The ground speed dependent actuation
serves to protect against any unintentional operation, if the
driver
e.g. after the poor visibility has improved increases speed,
without switching off the rear fog lamps.

Kent police have just added this to my Twitter feed.
So it looks like the answer is no don’t use them🙂
That looks like a copy and paste from the Highway Code?

What's the point of turning on the rear fog lights if nobody behind you?
I initially thought that, but post #27 explained it for me.
(Might even say it dazzled me with its clarity.........)

What's the point of turning on the rear fog lights if nobody behind you?
Because someone might be approaching but not yet visible to you due to the reduced visibility. I would want that approaching driver, who may not have his headlamps on, to see me as early as possible

If it’s poor visibility and there is no one behind me, then I put the rear high intensity lights on. If visibility improves or someone is following me, I turn them off.
Where’s the double like button?

In the very rare circumstances when I use fog lights I do exactly this. If I can see them through the fog (or rain, etc) then they can see me!

Because someone might be approaching but not yet visible to you due to the reduced visibility. I would want that approaching driver, who may not have his headlamps on, to see me as early as possible
Exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom