Fog no lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jp 1

Car
sprinter van,triumph stag,Nissan qashqai,bmwz4
The amount of vehicles driving in the fog today without lights on .
Why do people do that, :doh:

The number of idiots I saw driving around town today with rear fogs on when the visibility is about half a mile!

Two reasons I can think of:
  1. Automatic headlamps. People seem to miss the fact that they operate based upon light level, not visibility.
  2. More and more cars are being produced that have the instrument cluster illuminated whether the lights are on or off.
And a third (most likely):

Most people who drive have little, if any, appreciation of their surroundings.

Maybe they could see where they were going?

^ Precisely.

It's the idiots that use rear fogs in heavy rain that bug me more, dazzles the hell out of me

To an extent I agree but then again on the motorway it can be a different story. So much rain, dark clouds in the day and massive spray makes seeing the vehicle ahead very difficult with their normal tail lights on.

Move to Kent.

Here most of the indigenous population have their fog lights hard wired to permanently on. Eye hospitals are full of patients who have floaters and burned out retinas. If stuck in a traffic jam, the heat from their trillion watt laser guided rear fogs can melt the front of your car. All this and they still drive into the back of each other at the first opportunity.

bob6600 said:
To an extent I agree but then again on the motorway it can be a different story. So much rain, dark clouds in the day and massive spray makes seeing the vehicle ahead very difficult with their normal tail lights on.

That's when I find it even worse, looks like a blanket of permanent braking it's so bright

My theory on the rear fog light thing is simple,the muppets use them like central heating. Turn them on at the end of September and off sometime in the spring.

What annoys me more, though, isn't those who drive without lights, but those who insist on driving in fog with their high beam on. Can they not see that they are creating a wall of light?

It's almost as bad as those idiots who follow you with their high beam on, blinding you from behind.

It's pretty much every recent Citroen. Blindingly bright DRLs and no headlights on, even at night. Completely wrong beam pattern doing nothing for the driver.

Slow down then.

Slow down then.

I do. I'm not talking about driving at 70mph but considerably slower. A driver should be visible to other users. Fog lights are debatable as they can cause dazzle as mentioned by Ash but I think there are conditions where they are appropriate.

Merc rear fog lamps go off automatically above a set speed.

What annoys me more, though, isn't those who drive without lights, but those who insist on driving in fog with their high beam on. Can they not see that they are creating a wall of light?

It's almost as bad as those idiots who follow you with their high beam on, blinding you from behind.

I only do that when the **** in front of me has his rear foglights on.

I am a keen disciple of what Clarkson said many (many) years ago regarding foglights, which was that if anyone turned their foglights on their car should immediately be restricted to a maximum speed of 30mph, because that is the maximum safe speed to drive in fog thick enough to warrant foglights being turned on.

Merc rear fog lamps go off automatically above a set speed.

There must be an override, because I've seen many a plum bombing down the M6 with rear fogs ablaze. :dk:

Maybe it's only with the coding set for Germany? It's documented in WIS.

Yup, found it..

"In accordance with the German vehicle licensing regulations
the operation of rear fog lamps in the Federal Republic of
Germany is only permitted in fog, rain or snowfall with
visibility of less than 50 m and with accordingly reduced
vehicle speed. The ground speed dependent actuation
serves to protect against any unintentional operation, if the
driver
e.g. after the poor visibility has improved increases speed,
without switching off the rear fog lamps"

Last edited:
The idiots that modify their cars with two working rear fog lights annoy me.

It's difficult to tell when they are braking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom