Folding Mirror Retrofit on Classic W169

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wongl

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180CDI, B200d, C300h, SLK250
Retrofitted folding mirrors to a W169 Classic this weekend with the help of a seasoned MB Mechanic. We fitted new folding mirrors (A1698101376 LHS and A1698101476 RHS). Hardest part was getting the old painted cover off the old mirrors to refit on the new folding mirror frames. Quite easy to break the clips.

Second, replaced the door control modules with A1699000500 LHS and A169000700 RHS.

Third, replaced the door control switch with one with the folding button A1698206710 9174. Tricky job to remove the switch facial from the two window module over to the four window/folding switch.

Found that the new door module would not work as it should- swapping them over worked, but the left button operated the right window etc. Fitting them to the correct sides would not work with Star reporting both Faults on both door modules. In a desperate attempt, I modified the door control modules settings with Star and reloaded the settings to the modules. To my surprise this action caused the module to start working as it should! Not sure why?

Finally modified the Variant coding to enable the Folding mirror menu so that auto folding can be enabled/disabled under the Convenience menu. All working as it should now.

Total cost came to circa £320 as I managed to source most of the parts on eBay over a number of months. :bannana:

Next project is to get the headlights to come on with the locking the car. Found the settings to enable the menu for this but either missing another setting or one of the modules requires upgrading. Given that the light sensor already controls the headlights, I am hoping that this can be enabled via modifying the settings without having to replace another electronic module.

Attachments

• Folding Mirror Switch.jpg
    Folding Mirror Switch.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 46
Very interested/pleased to hear you did this.

We were sooooo annoyed when we discovered our car didn't have folding mirrors, them not being auto electric folders we could cope with but MB's decision to make the non-electric ones not fold at all is really bizarre! We were told that the retro fit would be a couple of thousand from the dealer at the time so we've lived with it.

Good effort paying out the £320, months of ebay fishing and the tricky install!

Well done. I was quoted £1100 by MB dealer for the same job on my1st A Class. Needless to say on the 2nd I specified the folding mirrors option.

Well done. I was quoted £1100 by MB dealer for the same job on my1st A Class. Needless to say on the 2nd I specified the folding mirrors option.

A price of £1100 sounds about right given the high MB labour rates and allowing for the cost of new parts sourced from MB dealership coming to over £860 (see below from online parts supplier). It is for this reason that I decided to watch for these parts on ebay. This is definitely one of the options that is significantly cheaper when factory fitted. Unfortunately for me, I got a great price on a Classic model which kind of justified the cost of retrofitting the folding mirrors.

It took a little over an hour for the two of us to swap the parts over and probably another hour on Star to get the door control modules working (shouldn't have taken this long but was due the odd/faulty behaviour of both of the new door modules fitted throwing us off during installation/coding).

I was certainly very fortunate to locate a brand new folding mirror frame stilled in box being sold by one of the Northern MB dealership on eBay for only £80. Plus finding a brand new folding door controller on eBay for only £20 was another bonus. If I had the guts to fit these parts myself, the parts would have only me £270.

Price of new parts
Basket
Part Number Price
A1699000500 £192.00 (LH front door control module for folding mirror)
A1699000700 £192.00 (RH front door control module for folding mirror)
A1698101376 £195.48 (LH front door folding mirror frame only)
A1698101476 £195.48 (RH front door folding mirror frame only)
A16982067109174 £90.72 (Front door window switches with folding mirror option)
Subtotal: £865.68
Total: £865.68
Tax Total: £144.28

Attachments

• Photo of folding mirror.jpg
    Photo of folding mirror.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Window switches with folding mirror option.jpg
    Window switches with folding mirror option.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo of folding mirror menu.jpg
    Photo of folding mirror menu.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
Hi Wong, nice job there, ..... did you happen to change the wiring harness in both front doors, as well? if so, what are the part no.s?

JoeSly The mirrors plug straight into the door controllers, so no loom change

Correct, there is no wiring loom to change. However, I am now retrofitting an armrest to my W169 classic and unintentionally the armrest I have sourced has a rear cig power socket and I am struggling to find the correct wiring loom for this. There is already an integrated loom from the front to the rear, but the wiring female plug at the front is different (being a straight in line 3 pin) from the front cig power wiring plug.

If anyone have any suggestions please let me know.

Hello,

Can you tell me if the door control modules A1699000500 LHS and A169000700 RHS;

can work with Folding mirrors (A1698100576 & A1698100676) for models w169/w245 2005-2007 ??

According to EPC the answer is yes - but 07 00 is for RHD cars not LHD cars - and they are both for MY2009 and later cars

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom