Folding mirrors and dipping mirrors - w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ched999uk

Car
C230K 1.8 Coupe Evo Pano
I am going to collect my 2003 W203 Coupe (pre face lift) next wednesday and I am all excited :D.
It is a decent spec but I am trying to find out if it has folding mirrors and or dipping mirrors.
I dont 'need' them but it would be nice to know if it has them and where the switches are.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Drivers mirror will autodim as should the rear view mirror. Passenger mirror will not. Folding was an option from what I remember so may or may not have it.

If the mirrors fold at a touch of a button then you will be able to get them programmed if they don't already automatically fold when the car is locked / unlocked. Not sure about the dipping though, assume u mean when u put the car into reverse the mirrors dip?

It wont have these as standard unless they were specified as an option during build, might be best to ask the seller to let you have sight of the service booklet because the back page contains all the vehicle technical info and also the options, (at build), codes.

HTH.

Cheers.
Portzy.

...Not sure about the dipping though, assume u mean when u put the car into reverse the mirrors dip?

This is something else, and it comes with the full-electric memory seats only.

Dipping means that at night it will dip to avoid dazzle if it senses strong light from the back.

Thanks very much for all your replies. Unfortunately the garage selling the car isnt in possession of the service book. I have checked the service history with merc directly and they have confirmed what the garage have told me re service history. The garage are getting a replacement service book fully stamped. God knows how but they say the will.
So at the moment I cant look at all the options that were installed.

Thanks.

I am all excited :) cant wait :)

Anyone know if the electronic service manuals from ebay are any good?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you know the VIN number you van find out the full spec from the Russian website listed in one of the sections of this forum.

As far as I am aware auto dimming rear view and wing mirrors are not standard and would need to be ordered when the car was first ordered.

If you don't have them they do come up from time to time on ebay or breakers sites. Various members have retroffited them on here.

Cheers for the info gents, can I say gents or am I going to offend anyone?
VIN number entered into russian site and apart from a few unknown codes spec seems to be what I thought.
Thanks all.

Mate, it has been standard on mercs for the last 10 years to have folding mirrors.

Trust me you will have it - I was like that when i brought my first merc.

The button is always to the right of the steering wheel, above the light controls.

Also people don't know you can have the key programmed so when you lock the car the mirrors automatically fold in.

Cheers Insain. That would be good to get mirrors to fold when the doors lock. Any idea what the button looks like? From memory it has the headlight angle roller, the headlight switch ( I assume auto means auto headlights?), the 4 way mirror movement pad and the left and right mirror buttons but I dont remember any others to the right of the steering wheel.

I think Insain is wrong unfortunately. They certainly have not been standard for the past ten years.

To have the option of auto folding I believe the car needs to have memory seats.

Cheers davidjpowell. I am not too bothered if it does or doesn't have folding mirrors just nice to have. I only have a few days to wait and see. I'm too excited :)

David is correct , not standard.

If you have folding , depending on the door SAM you can have 'fold on lock' enabled . It is the SAM that is programmed , not the key.

I have the memory seats but from my reading of other posts as a 2002 model the auto fol cannot be programmed.

I have to agree with David - unfortunately Insain isn't correct. I have a brand new C-Class and it unfortunately didn't come with folding mirrors but they were an option. For those interested - having not requested them as an option, I do now think it might have been a good move to do so. It certainly would have alleviated some of the 'don't damage my shiny new car' anxiety! Not a big-deal not to have them but probably a good idea IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom