Folding mirrors on closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Hi
I have the buttons to fold the mirrors on my car, but can I get the mirrors to close with the Key on locking the car up ?
Is there a setting in command to enable this function?
My car is a Oct 2005 E55k

Thanks
Lee

Its a setting in the Convenience Features reached through the steering wheel menu buttons.

Most folk on here recommend not to set auto fold as the wires to the mirrors tend to fail through the continual flexing at the hinges.

There is on my W205

It's in the main menu and can switch it on or off (God knows why anyone would want to switch it off!)

Its a setting in the Convenience Features reached through the steering wheel menu buttons.

Most folk on here recommend not to set auto fold as the wires to the mirrors tend to fail through the continual flexing at the hinges.

Oh.... That's why lol

On my car, 2006 W203, this was a STAR mod done by Alfie from comandonline.co.uk (among other STAR mods).

Once done, it added the menu option to 'auto-fold with lock/unlock' and I can then choose by selecting Yes or No.

Said that, for several years I had the mirrors on auto-fold, until the flexible wires started to break... I fixed the broken wires, but have now disabled the auto-fold option and only fold the mirrors when I need to.

Aha I think I'll leave it alone, don't want to break owt just for the sake of trying to look cool and trendy.... Hehe

Do you know if now that they have the option open, other than having to have it activated by star, they've changed the wires for more flexible ones? Or are we still expecting them to be brittle and break over time?

Just thinking that now my mirrors fold every time, they must have considered the constant movement of the wiring and used suitable materials, no?

Or am I giving MB too much credit lol

I would have thought that to offer this option on cars they must have tested it until failure...?

Yeah, just like the M272 balance shafts, M156 head bolts, 722.9 TCU plates and Valeo radiators.

I had the auto fold option set on my 2014 E300 Hybrid and after 2 years of use it was still working with no problems.

I now have a 2016 E350 and have it set to auto fold.

I assume Mercedes have nailed this issue?

I cannot recall any recent posts regarding this issue with wires failing.

I had the auto fold option set on my 2014 E300 Hybrid and after 2 years of use it was still working with no problems.

I now have a 2016 E350 and have it set to auto fold.

I assume Mercedes have nailed this issue?

I cannot recall any recent posts regarding this issue with wires failing.

2 years is not a long time...probably 1 year short of the design time when wires will start to break.

As said Lee, you can turn them to auto fold on locking from the steering wheel convenience functions.
My were enabled but I turned them off. I could see the wires breaking at some point and its easy enough to close them on the door switch when necessary.

Can I do this on my 2008 E320 estate ? If so, could someone explain how please.
Ta.

I enabled this on my w639 via star
nothing broken used continually no stop for two years (being a van)

cool

I enabled this on my w639 via star
nothing broken used continually no stop for two years (being a van)

cool

I think that the auto-fold function is a bit of a red herring... before enabling auto-fold, I used to fold the mirrors manually after parking up anyway. So setting the mirrors to auto-fold only marginally increased the number of times the mirrors folded and unfolded. The reason I disabled the auto-fold feature is that now I no longer fold the mirrors as a matter of routine, but only when parked in narrow roads.

So the broken wires issue is simply down to poor design... and if you regularly fold your mirrors anyway then it probably won't matter much in the long run if you enable auto-fold or not (I estimate that with auto-fold there was perhaps a 10% increase in the number of times the mirrors folded/unfolded compared to manual folding).

Last edited:
I think that the auto-fold function is a bit of a red herring... before enabling auto-fold, I used to fold the mirrors manually after parking up anyway. So setting the mirrors to auto-fold only marginally increased the number of times the mirrors folded and unfolded. The reason I disabled the auto-fold feature is that now I no longer fold the mirrors as a matter of routine, but only when parked in narrow roads.

So the broken wires issue is simply down to poor design... and if you regularly fold your mirrors anyway then it probably won't matter much in the long run if you enable auto-fold or not (I estimate that with auto-fold there was perhaps a 10% increase in the number of times the mirrors folded/unfolded compared to manual folding).

Yes, but a 100% increase if, like me, you don't usually fold them.

When I got my car I had to strip down the driver's mirror to fix a broken wire, and yes...the mirrors were set to auto fold.

Got a work colleague who used to work with MB garage and he advised not to use the fold function because when they were introduced he ended up fixing loads of wiring problems with broken wiring. Think it's a personal choice, I still fold mine even with the warning mainly because the work colleague is a pratt anyway.

I have mine autofold, a great visual indication the car is locked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom