Folding Mirrors Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
So last evening I am leaving Aberdeen airport and looking forward to the 365 mile drive home :( Hit the open button on the key and all the normal bits light up with the click clunk noises. Pull the door open but no movement from the mirrors :fail Get in turn on and press switches on dash... still no mirrors:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

After much fiddling I manage to get them to fold out:thumb: and off we go,pulled in for fuel and a butty in Dundee locked it up,mirrors folded in. Back in the car and here we go again no friggin mirrors :crazy:

Turned off the auto fold and fiddled some more till they folded out and drove home :bannana Had a look today but they seem pretty much dead,if I pull them towards the front of the car I can get them to fold in,but not out. Reading the many post on the forum it looks like a trip to my indi for a star session.

I am thinklng either sam module or switch pack and hoping for a reasonable cost to fix it :dk:

I get this sometimes on my S320 ,it is a puzzle,what I do is unlock the car and open the drivers door but watch the mirror if it does not start to open I slam the door not hard but it jolts the mirror into action,it must be something loose,or maybe the action of the door handle is not making something every time.

W209s are prone to this happening, did on mine. They seem to work after the car had been running for around 30mins. it turned out to be the front SAM unit in the end. :(

Well I still have the problem with the mirrors, tomorrow I am going to check out the dash switches, does anyone know if it is held in with just the two spring clips ? Had a quick look for any screws behind the park brake release,but couldn't see any.

Sounds more like broken wiring in the wing mirror, need to take it apart and check.

+1 for the broken wiring in the mirror.

Wiring most likely explanation, I have seen a fix-it somewhere on this forum, try a search.

Have Mercedes still not realised that folding mirrors require looms that are designed to fold?

It was an old thread that gave the fix.

I'm not sure if it's an ongoing problem, mine are still working after 7 years albeit with a bit of a whine.

It was an old thread that gave the fix.

I'm not sure if it's an ongoing problem, mine are still working after 7 years albeit with a bit of a whine.

It was. I remember using the thread over five years ago. Druk started it I think.

It was originally a problem with the 211. I assumed that MB would have better engineered later cars.

BMW's answer to this was to turn off any ability to have mirrors auto-fold on lock. (Dealers used to be able turn this on, but it stopped in about 2009, dunno if they've re-enabled it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom