Folding mirrors that will not fold automatically

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Ok ... this is my first real problem post....
just finding them out now... as I have the CL500 (2000) car in my hands only 3 days now :) (Sorry I do not know how to refer to you by chassis number).

So here goes the problem. In the indash menu ... I select fold mirrors when locked. However I go out of the car ... and mirrors will not fold automatically.
However when I am in the car and press the folding button on drivers door, it will fold no problems/ and unfold only if the opposite button pressed. Now what happens and it does not work?

A second problem... is the easy entry/exit of the car... I have selected both steering and seat to move... but only the steering is moving upwards when key is in the off position.

Am I doing something wrong? To be honest I am still going through the bible size instruction booklet.

My car is quite basic... it has no comand.

Something puzzling here. First off I thought all CL500s came with COMAND as standard and secondly I thought the fold mirrors when closing feature was only introduced on later models.

Certainly my 2000 CL500 does not have this option in the dash display and I had assumed it was not possible as the folding is not one-touch, i.e you have to hold the open/close button down for the mirrors to travel the full distance.

The chassis number is in the windscreen. If you input that into this site, http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng you will see what your car came equipped with as standard.

Last edited:
Something puzzling here. First off I thought all CL500s came with COMAND as standard and secondly I thought the fold mirrors when closing feature was only introduced on later models.

Certainly my 2000 CL500 does not have this option in the dash display and I had assumed it was not possible as the folding is not one-touch, i.e you have to hold the open/close button down for the mirrors to travel the full distance.

No it is not one touch ... you keep the button all the way until it closes/or opens

And it does not have sat/nav comad on the main console.
I suppose comand is the big screen on the console in the middle of the car right? where the radio is and the climate control.

Last edited:
See my edit above. You should have option 352, comand navigation and audio system.

Be interesting if I can activate the auto-folding mirrors. Similarly my easy exit feature is set from the steering wheel and only applies to that, not the seats.

I'm currently driving a 2004 CL600 while mine is being repaired and it does have the autofold mirrors and easy exit seat feature, set from the in dash display. The mirrors on that are one touch.

I will have to go and check the number when I go back home. This seems very useful.

I do not know what to say... is there any chance that the software of the car was changed or upgraded at some point? :eek: I do not want to be scared :confused:

If you have to keep the folding mirrors' buttons pressed down during the fold/unfold (as opposed to just briefly press them), then I don't think there is any way of auto folding them when locking.

Yours is a year 2000, and I don't think auto fold was available on those cars. It certainly wasn't on an s-class of that year. I'm intrigued as to why the cluster display would show that option on a car of that year, I wonder if someone has been playing with STAR on it. I'm sure Alfie or Richard could clarify.

I am surprised that yours comes without COMAND, I don't think I have ever seen a W215 without COMAND! Any chance of pictures? Could it be an import?

Amwebby makes a very helpful suggestion: put your VIN into the checker and it will show the COMAND option code.

EDIT: on a 2000 car, the COMAND should look like the one in my s-class:

comand.jpg

Well none of these two ... mine is a 3rd option ... :crazy:
I hope the picture shows well I took it yesterday but had not intention to clearly capture the dashboard.
I hope it makes sense

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0315dash.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

If you have to keep the folding mirrors' buttons pressed down during the fold/unfold (as opposed to just briefly press them), then I don't think there is any way of auto folding them when locking.

Yours is a year 2000, and I don't think auto fold was available on those cars. It certainly wasn't on an s-class of that year. I'm intrigued as to why the cluster display would show that option on a car of that year, I wonder if someone has been playing with STAR on it. I'm sure Alfie or Richard could clarify.

I am surprised that yours comes without COMAND, I don't think I have ever seen a W215 without COMAND! Any chance of pictures? Could it be an import?

Amwebby makes a very helpful suggestion: put your VIN into the checker and it will show the COMAND option code.

EDIT: on a 2000 car, the COMAND should look like the one in my s-class:

I have seen one more on Auto trader like mine... without a comand. I have done an HPI check and it seemed to be clear and firstly registered on 09/2000. And also DVLA history everything fine... it does not show as import.

Well none of these two ... mine is a 3rd option ... :crazy:

Yes, that is indeed a version without COMAND, with the standard radio fitted.

I had no idea they ever sold them without COMAND in the UK. You might be able to have a COMAND retrofitted, talk to Alfie on this forum.

Well, you're quite right. It doesn't have COMAND. That is an Audio option, not sure which one, Richard or Alfie will know.

If it is not an import this does surprise me as I thought all CLs came with COMAND as standard in Europe, certainly in the UK. Once again, Richard or Alfie will know.

That makes it all the more surpirsing you have the auto-fold and easy exit options in the dash display.

Lovely car in a great colour combination BTW.

Last edited:
Alfie or Richard hellppp :confused:

That is an Audio option, not sure which one

It's an Audio 10, which was the standard audio option for that generation cars. COMAND includes Audio 30. Not sure if Audio 10 in those days meant the same as today though.

Lovely car in a great colour compnination BTW.

I'll second that.

I have now looked up some road tests and reviews from the time and they do mention the COMAND as an optional feature. I'll be buggered if I know why anyone did not specify COMAND when ordering though, seems a bit silly not to get it :confused:.

OK here it goes I punched in the VIN number, I hope it makes sense... but no comand and the car seems not to be imported :)

VIN WDB215****************
Model CL 500
Chassis
215**************
Engine
113******************
Transmission 722******************
Order 0 0 537 *******
Delivery date 00.00.00
Dealer Great Britain
(537)
Interior leather saffron or java
(264)
Paint 891 alexandrite green metallic (с 1978)
Options
trunk set, 5-piece
wood selector lever
shift lever in wood/leather combination (с 01.01.1990)
289 wooden/leather steering wheel (dia. 390 mm)
wood-/leather steering wheel (ш 390mm) and leather gearshift (с 01.02.1993)
multiple contour backrest for right rear single seat
461 instrument with mileage reading and english lettering (с 01.04.1990)
551 anti-theft/anti-break-in warning system with anti-towing system (с 01.04.1998)
618 halogen lamp unit with high beam/low beam/fog light (r.h. traffic) (с 01.04.1970)
731 wood trim, burred walnut root (с 01.08.1980)
750 radio MB Audio 30 with traffic news decoder and RDS (с 31.10.1996)
801 Change of year of model, last figure shows new model year
819 CD changer - alpine - in trunk (с 31.07.1992)
875 heated screen wash system (с 01.02.1988)
windshield washer heated (W201)
882 passenger compartment protection/towing-off protection (with anti-theft warning system only) (с 01.07.1993)
984 elimination of ownership certificate but with coc papers (с 01.06.1993)
989 identification label under windshield (с 01.10.1997)

Dealer Great Britain

Yep, not an import. :)

750 radio MB Audio 30 with traffic news decoder and RDS (с 31.10.1996)

So, it's actually an Audio 30. Audio 10 was standard, Audio 30 a £350 option.

I'm still amazed that the first owner didn't want to spend the 2100 quid on COMAND, which after all would only have been a small extra cost.

OK, that solves that mystery. I've looked up reviews of the time and they all say fully loaded with COMAND but that's obviously (with the benefit of hindsight) just the review model. I spent six months looking for my car though and never saw one without COMAND.

The mystery remains, how GreekSL's model has the option to auto-fold the mirrors and easy exit in the in dash display.

When I first got my W220, the mirrors folded with one one touch. There was no option to auto fold in the convenience menu.
Since I had the instrument cluster replaced under recall I now have to hold the button until mirrors fold. And now according to the menu I have the option to auto fold but it still does not work!
My guess is that the cluster has probably been replaced in the past.

I'm still amazed that the first owner didn't want to spend the 2100 quid on COMAND, which after all would only have been a small extra cost.

Ok and now my daft question ... what does comand offer more?
except sat-nav, optional TV?

PS I freaked out this evening as I have put 3 people on the back (for a short distance...) and I had the rear right wheel parked on a speedhump ... as soon as I started the engine it said with red background ABC Suspension low ... I just raised it a level from the controler and the warning went off. Funny gizmos on this car lol .... :) plus warning to raise the rear headrests... I am amazed :)

Last edited:
When I first got my W220, the mirrors folded with one one touch. There was no option to auto fold in the convenience menu.
Since I had the instrument cluster replaced under recall I now have to hold the button until mirrors fold. And now according to the menu I have the option to auto fold but it still does not work!
My guess is that the cluster has probably been replaced in the past.

Correct me if I am wrong .. but in US ... the CL500 (W215??) year 2000 models were recalled ... because the cluster lights might blank out, therefore they replaced the whole cluster unit.
I do not know if this applied in Europe or UK. Even if this happened I would never know as I do not have any receipts or record of it in the service book.

Correct me if I am wrong .. but in US ... the CL500 (W215??) year 2000 models were recalled ... because the cluster lights might blank out, therefore they replaced the whole cluster unit.
I do not know if this applied in Europe or UK. Even if this happened I would never know as I do not have any receipts or record of it in the service book.

Had a recall notice late 2006. Local MB dealer should be able to tell you whether the dash has been replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom