Food additives/intolerance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Just back from nearly a fortnight away, and realised I'd left some milk in the fridge, which was perfectly usable! What do they put in it to give it such a long shelf life? Processed food I try to avoid like the plague, but so much of the meat chain is injected or fed with various hormones and God knows what else, we don't really have a clue what we're eating (even organic potatoes are "gassed").

Additives, flavourings or preservatives all have adverse effects on me ranging from asthma (MSG is good for this), mood swings (paranoia to anger/rage) and feeling bloated and lethargic. I wonder how many of the symptoms I have mentioned are chemically induced in some people without them realising why, or making any connections if they feel like this occasionally? Some days I can read stuff here and not be bothered, but another day it could push my buttons (someone made a snidey comment about 6d yesterday and I had to check what I'd been eating as a result!) - I blame (loosely) the E numbers (check the ingredients labelling)!

I've tried to be tested by the NHS for allergies, but this is classed as being intolerant, which they won't test for. I was told that you can only be allergic to natural food stuff (peanuts, dairy, fish etc) but if the food stuff is being adulterated, I think they are missing the point.

Does anyone else suffer with food rage, or wonder why they are inexplicably in such a bad mood/short tempered sometimes? If so, think about what you've eaten recently and perhaps read the labels, or see if it happens again the next time you eat it. I could be something as simple as a packet of crisps!

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'd love to know if this rings true with others.

At work I often get a free lunch due to all the Women in the office thinking that food becomes highly toxic at the stroke of midnight. Instead of binning it, I get it. :D

Diet is everything, from white bread to anything fizzy, a lot of people simply don't realise the damage they're doing to their health.

An old friend of mine got that sick of feeling bloated and tired around 15:00 that he woke up one morning and completely changed his diet and he really is like a different man; doesn't eat white bread anymore, eats a lot of white meats (fish, chicken etc) and instead of a bag of crisps he'll grab a banana.

I know it's not fashionable and a bit girly but you've got to look after your body and what fuels it; you wouldn't put diesel in a petrol car, would you...

You will be interested in TTIP Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership as highlighted in my Oracle at Dephi post. The " Oracle" talked about the forthcoming TTIP Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership between the USA and Europe where certain issues were highlighted. such as the use of antibiotics as growth promoters in beef cattle, the use of GMO products in food, pestcides with known endocrine disrupting chemicals, labelling of food with country of origin etc the list goes on. Stuff that the USA wants to" let slide" in the name of commerce. You would think we might have learned our lesson by now.
A little bovine spongiform mince Vicar--- don't mind if I do. Or perhaps you might prefer a bit of horse lassange?
Horse-lasagne.jpg

Does anyone else suffer with food rage, or wonder why they are inexplicably in such a bad mood/short tempered sometimes?

Not sure I've ever suffered from food rage, but I do suffer from food allergies. I've removed most offending items from my diet over the years, including alcohol, but it's still so easy to be trapped, especially by those foodstuffs that for some reason or other do not have to label their contents in detail.

As you point out though, it's not just processed foods, but I didn't realise organic potatoes were also now being targeted.

In the US the Food and Drugs administration appears something of a toothless tiger when it comes to doing battle with the large food producers. I recall the FDA having to cancel an enforcement notice recently when the food producer concerned pointed out that forcing it to add harmful food content labels to its products was an infringement of free trade (not the exact words, but similar).

I guess many of you would have seen the following - but just in case, here's a SalmoFan. A Pantone matched guide to be used alongside a food additive to be given to Salmon and Shrimps. You've guessed the rest.

If all these e numbers and additives are oh so bad for us why is the population living longer :dk:

Just sayin :D

As the NHS is being, well, the NHS, have you considered making an appointment at a private hospital? Both the ones I use have allergy and nutrition clinics. Yes it costs but the benefit ratio is potentially immense. You can easily research which consultant would suit you best and the turnaround on testing is magnificent….research and call today and you will likely have proper answers within a fortnight in the case of allergy testing.

We sacrifice many things to be able to use private medical (insurance and savings) and I can absolutely assure you that it is worth every penny to be treated, treated as an individual and cured in pretty short order.

I hope this doesn't come over as being preachy; my personal health and its continued improvement is all down to selecting the right doctor and willingness to pay. The NHS would have had me curled in a ball in a darkened room years ago.

Those that have been weaned on E numbers haven't reached any great age yet. All the oldies are 50's kids...

I tend to eat well, not through a conscious decision but because I enjoy food and the majority of food that I enjoy tends to be less factory processed and made with higher quality ingredients.
My view is that highly processed, unhealthy food is consumed by those with little interest in what they eat beyond how quick and easy it is to prepare.
I can't say that I never eat fast food as, sometimes, circumstances dictate that there is little else available but I see no harm in moderate consumption of 'bad' food.
Fad diets, by nature, come and go and I see these as pretty dangerous to health as they are unsustainable and provoke unhealthy reactions.

I like to know what is in my meal so, where possible, cook from scratch including bread and fruit based desserts because I crave sweet food after savoury.

Moderation in everything ...

If all these e numbers and additives are oh so bad for us why is the population living longer :dk:

Just sayin :D

ANTIBIOTICS- but their indiscriminant use may well mean the golden age of medical intervention in the developed world is over and life expectancy will return to third world levels.
512px-Comparison_gender_life_expectancy_CIA_factbook.svg.png

Those that have been weaned on E numbers haven't reached any great age yet. All the oldies are 50's kids...

let me think about that, 1950's the era when we were using boric acid and potassium bromate as a food preservatives which are known toxins and now banned. where you went to get your feet measured as a kid and you put your new shoes in the x-ray box to see where your toes were, :doh:

Food additives in the 1950's were new and experimental and as such people were exposed to far more health risks then than they are now. The effects of particular additives are now well tested and documented.

Too much carp spoken about food additives and too much blame put on them for some of the effects we see on people in society. (not talking about genuine medical conditions as I appreciate certain people can be intolerant to certain substances) but I feel they are used as a cop out when no really documentary test evidence exists to prove a direct link between a food additive and a condition.

A bit like global warming really, I have never yet seen any data that proves a direct link between climate change and Co2 emissions, just another thing to blame and a job creation scheme for the old boys network (but that's another thread :D )

Some times people are the problem by not letting there child eat things as there worried about allergies , my little girl eats every thing ie home grown veg ,fish, peanut butter ,home grown fruit and so on but no rubbish food ..some mite find this interesting Feeding peanuts to babies protects from peanut allergies, scientists find - Telegraph

Interesting read Deane. My eldest daughter had no major food intolerance except minor dairy - milkshakes and ice-cream. Doesn't stop her enjoyment of them though.
My youngest had very bad eczema as a baby and has an egg allergy and a very serious peanut allergy. However, I would state that people seek medical advice first before reading articles such as above and making their own decisions. We were told when we could introduce egg in another form - her intolerance is no longer as high but will still induce vomiting. However, we've been told to definitely avoid peanuts and have no an epi-pen to carry around with her. Her "numbers" need to decrease before the consultants would consider introducing it.

Low fat milk does last a long time to get back to the OP question. Pasteurisation and little fat leaves not much to go off. Regarding food I think as others have said you should have a varied diet. Cutting things out completely can't be a good idea. Likewise having too much of anything isn't good. I compete regularly as a Triathlete which keeps the weight down and obviously me fit. What you eat makes a big difference to an event. Advice is normally a 4:1 ratio between carbs and protein. As we have got richer, meat has become more affordable and it's easy to have too much protein and not enough carbs in your diet. Concentrating on diet alone is not a good idea. If you want to be healthy needs to be diet and exercise. Hope this helps.

let me think about that, 1950's the era when we were using boric acid and potassium bromate as a food preservatives which are known toxins and now banned. where you went to get your feet measured as a kid and you put your new shoes in the x-ray box to see where your toes were, :doh:

Food additives in the 1950's were new and experimental and as such people were exposed to far more health risks then than they are now. The effects of particular additives are now well tested and documented.

Too much carp spoken about food additives and too much blame put on them for some of the effects we see on people in society. (not talking about genuine medical conditions as I appreciate certain people can be intolerant to certain substances) but I feel they are used as a cop out when no really documentary test evidence exists to prove a direct link between a food additive and a condition.

A bit like global warming really, I have never yet seen any data that proves a direct link between climate change and Co2 emissions, just another thing to blame and a job creation scheme for the old boys network (but that's another thread :D )

I believe that chemical additives are on the decrease, however, the real issue is the addition of fat, salt and sugar to processed meals.

Interesting read Deane. My eldest daughter had no major food intolerance except minor dairy - milkshakes and ice-cream. Doesn't stop her enjoyment of them though.
My youngest had very bad eczema as a baby and has an egg allergy and a very serious peanut allergy. However, I would state that people seek medical advice first before reading articles such as above and making their own decisions. We were told when we could introduce egg in another form - her intolerance is no longer as high but will still induce vomiting. However, we've been told to definitely avoid peanuts and have no an epi-pen to carry around with her. Her "numbers" need to decrease before the consultants would consider introducing it.

The link was just a way to show people ,, it's my wife that knows more about it and she is a medical professional ,

Avoid sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom