Food for Thought

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by glojo, Aug 13, 2008.

1. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    Yesterday afternoon the Torbay Lifeboat was launched in response to a 999 call from a very distraught parent who had been diving with his son a mile off-shore from Berry-head.

Within minutes SEVEN local fishing vessel\charter angling boats responded to the call and helped the lifeboat carry out a very large search for the missing fourteen year old diver. Four other lifeboats assisted plus a total of four helicopters (two coastguard, one RAF and one police) Unfortunately the child was not found and is still missing as I type this thread.

The point of posting this message though is two fold, firstly it was so nice to hear the commercial vessels all respond to this call and the fact that most remained on station for approximately five hours. These commercial vessels all downed tools, stopped working and without a second thought joined in this search. My hat goes off to them and and we should all remember how our fishing fleet are suffering huge cut-backs, crippling fuel costs and yet when a call goes out for help, they are the first to respond.

My second point is hopefully a tactful one.
    If we go diving in the sea then PLEASE treat this environment with respect. The boy was allegedly fully qualified and was diving with his father but although they were one mile offshore working from a small inflatable, no one had a radio (thankfully they had a mobile phone). That is all I will say regarding this incident.

My thoughts are with both parents of this young lad and hopefully he will be found safe and well, but please, please let us all be careful when we go swimming in the sea.

Yours sincerely
    John

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Sad story but one has to question the judgement/emotional/mental capacity of a 14 year old to deal with an underwater emergency in the open sea without panic? No doubt he had passed all the tests and was very physically fit BUT if it was my kid----------?? There was a drowning incident on the west coast of Scotland about a year ago where a young female Army cadet was trapped under a small fast assault craft in a sea loch. A fatal accident enquiry determined that she had been issued with a buoyancy aid designed for adult soldiers wearing full field kit. As such when the boat capsized and she was trapped underneath she would have been unable to extricate herself since the buoyancy aid would have forced her against the underside of the upturned craft and caused her to drown. A stronger more experienced hand might have been able to extricate themselves in that situation but a 14 year old schoolgirl????????? There were lots of errors of judgement that led to these circumstances but I feel that that the inexperience of the unfortunate victim must have played a significant part. As you say we often lose sight of the fact the open sea is a dangerous place for the young and inexperienced. :( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7549696.stm

3. columb

columb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212
    Hi John,

Really nice post.
    I used to do some sailing and please be assured that on the water EVERYONE should respond to the "MAYDAY" call.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_(distress_signal)

Cheers
    Chris

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Without appearing to be mean or tight, the Liftboats and the Salvation Army are usually the only two charitable institiutions I donate to without hesitation.
    I think its disgusting that something SO important is left to voluntary contribution to finance. It should be no different to fire, ambulance or police.

5. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Same + cancer research

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    I've always found that a bit strange and can't quite work out the reasoning.

7. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    The only conclusion that makes sense is that the governments are tight wads and its not a big vote winner.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
  9. OP
    OP
    glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    (1) Torbay offshore lifeboat, (2) Torbay Inshore lifeboat, (3)Teignmouth inshore lifeboat, (4)Salcombe offshore lifeboat, (5)spare offshore lifeboat on passage were all tasked into this search, the smaller craft had to remain within 1 mile of the coast because of the 'testing' weather. The unsung heroes which never receive the thanks they deserve are those coastguards that are shore based and carried out extensive coastline searches. Every single unit was offered a rest break to come ashore but all remained on site until approximately 8-30pm. (Salcombe lifeboat stood down at about 6-30pm)

The civilian armada took a battering from the heavy seas and only the bigger craft searched beyond Berryhead but all these boats had left the area by about 6pm-ish

John

10. ADY1983

ADY1983 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300CE-24 Sportline, MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Edition, Scirocco GTII
    I take part in the RNLI Raft race's every year that take place at Lyme Regis and West Bay to raise money for lifeboats it's great fun too...

I hope they do find the lad safe and well, thanks for posting John...

Tags: