Food questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

As time goes on I hear more and more references to “Mac and cheese”. At first I wondered whether it was a new name that McD had given to a Big Mac and cheese, so I ignored it. But today my inquisitive nature led me to Google it for confirmation. As so often of course, my initial assumption was wrong, it’s just macaroni cheese that my mum made 60 years ago. When the f*** did the name change? Is it just yet further US influence on the language we lent to them?

As time goes on I hear more and more references to “Mac and cheese”. At first I wondered whether it was a new name that McD had given to a Big Mac and cheese, so I ignored it. But today my inquisitive nature led me to Google it for confirmation. As so often of course, my initial assumption was wrong, it’s just macaroni cheese that my mum made 60 years ago. When the f*** did the name change? Is it just yet further US influence on the language we lent to them?
Yes just a popular way of describing it in the US.

Not to be confused with a Royale with Cheese.

It's lovely with bacon 🥓

Another example of language dumbing

They have managed to make it even shorter - Mac 'n' Cheese or I have even seen Mac Cheese

All part of a drive to use as few syllables as possible - eventually we will all communicate in grunts. My given name is Stephen and Steve is fine. But Ste? :mad:

Always makes me cackle when in the queue at ‘ Mac‘ees I say ”Can I have “ and then the sprog behind me says “ Can I get “. Move over old‘n.
‘Can I Get’ isn’t exclusive American speak though. I live in South West Scotland and around these parts that’s a very common phrase. 😊

Does it really matter if you refer to it as Mac n cheese or Macaroni cheese? :)

Various foods have multiple names, a bit like chips/fries... pretty sure everyone knows what they are. :)

While sat waiting for a haircut a young boy sat next to me was playing with his x wing fighter toy.

I asked him if Star Wars was his favourite film.

He responded with ‘film? Is that the same as a movie?’

I felt old.....

Always makes me cackle when in the queue at ‘ Mac‘ees I say ”Can I have “ and then the sprog behind me says “ Can I get “. Move over old‘n.
I would say “May I have”. Move over whippersnapper.

Various foods have multiple names, a bit like chips/fries... pretty sure everyone knows what they are. :)
Chips or crisps?

'A toasted bacon sandwich'. This was what I ordered once in a Liverpool cafe with some scouse mates - nearly brought the house down, with my posh southern ways! Apparently, it's bacon on toast. I asked how they would differentiate between it being in a sandwich or being on toast, and evidently this is because I ordered it 'on' toast. What if I didn't want it in a sandwich? To this day, and I always make a point of asking, they still can't explain why beans 'on' toast doesn't come as a toasted sandwich. I had this conversation recently with a younger scouse girl, and she just orders 'bacon on'! How do you order yours?

'A toasted bacon sandwich'. This was what I ordered once in a Liverpool cafe with some scouse mates - nearly brought the house down, with my posh southern ways! Apparently, it's bacon on toast. I asked how they would differentiate between it being in a sandwich or being on toast, and evidently this is because I ordered it 'on' toast. What if I didn't want it in a sandwich? To this day, and I always make a point of asking, they still can't explain why beans 'on' toast doesn't come as a toasted sandwich. I had this conversation recently with a younger scouse girl, and she just orders 'bacon on'! How do you order yours?
Bacon has no place on toast.

Just ask for fish & chips in USA!
You certainly would not get the same as you would in the UK!

1) Does it really matter?
2) Haven’t loads of words and sayings changed over the years? Olde fashioned Cyder anyone?

To be fair, it’s not the Americans who started this. We adopt stuff into our culture all the time and re-engineer it. Eg - traditional Indian meal in the UK...Chicken Tikka Massala! :doh:

I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty funny:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Macaroni is surely of Italian origin. Mac and cheese surely a variant from the US (Italian-Americans?) so what place do we have to decide what it’s called? I’m sure people mix pasta with cheese all over the world and call it different things - who cares? :)

1) Does it really matter?
2) Haven’t loads of words and sayings changed over the years? Olde fashioned Cyder anyone?

To be fair, it’s not the Americans who started this. We adopt stuff into our culture all the time and re-engineer it. Eg - traditional Indian meal in the UK...Chicken Tikka Massala! :doh:

I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty funny:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Macaroni is surely of Italian origin. Mac and cheese surely a variant from the US (Italian-Americans?) so what place do we have to decide what it’s called? I’m sure people mix pasta with cheese all over the world and call it different things - who cares? :)
Uncle Roger rocks 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom