Food questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
😄

I’m afraid it has no place there either. Bacon and bread are only compatible when the bread is white and untoasted.
So would that be bacon 'on' bread?!!

I think the bacon sarnie almost deserves its own thread. Do you dip the bread in the bacon fat, just have it buttered or both? Sauce? As for toast - added butter and mushrooms, all wrapped in silver foil are your friends - give it a try, but leave the silver foil!

So would that be bacon 'on' bread?!!

I think the bacon sarnie almost deserves its own thread. Do you dip the bread in the bacon fat, just have it buttered or both? Sauce? As for toast - added butter and mushrooms, all wrapped in silver foil are your friends - give it a try, but leave the silver foil!
My taste in bacon sandwiches isn’t a popular one. Medallions trimmed of all fat, shown the heat for long enough to change red to milky white, and no longer. Dropped straight on to a single slice of white sliced white bread, without sauce, butter, dip or anything else - folded and in the mouth within 5 seconds of leaving the heat. Perfect.

My taste in bacon sandwiches isn’t a popular one. Medallions trimmed of all fat, shown the heat for long enough to change red to milky white, and no longer. Dropped straight on to a single slice of white sliced white bread, without sauce, butter, dip or anything else - folded and in the mouth within 5 seconds of leaving the heat. Perfect.
Jeez, we could have some fun in a scouse cafe! Probably our last meal ever, but...!

'A toasted bacon sandwich'. This was what I ordered once in a Liverpool cafe with some scouse mates - nearly brought the house down, with my posh southern ways! Apparently, it's bacon on toast. I asked how they would differentiate between it being in a sandwich or being on toast, and evidently this is because I ordered it 'on' toast. What if I didn't want it in a sandwich? To this day, and I always make a point of asking, they still can't explain why beans 'on' toast doesn't come as a toasted sandwich. I had this conversation recently with a younger scouse girl, and she just orders 'bacon on'! How do you order yours?
Bit confused here; were you asking them for bacon in between two pieces of toast or did you want bacon on a single slice of toast served on a plate?

Bit confused here; were you asking them for bacon in between two pieces of toast or did you want bacon on a single slice of toast served on a plate?
My point exactly! A toasted bacon sandwich is fairly unambiguous to me - bacon between two pieces of toast, but in Liverpool this highlights me being a southern t^&t (amongst other things)! If I ordered bacon 'on toast', that is exactly what I would expect to be served, bacon on a single slice of toast. This also highlights me as being a southern t^&t in Liverpool! I get ridiculed for thinking that bacon 'on toast' wouldn't be served between two slices of bread. However, my scouse mates still can't explain why egg 'on toast' or beans 'on toast' don't come between two slices of toast, following that principle!

Last edited:
My point exactly! A toasted bacon sandwich is fairly unambiguous to me - bacon between two pieces of toast, but in Liverpool this highlights me being a southern **** (amongst other things)! If I ordered bacon 'on toast', that is exactly what I would expect to be served, bacon on a single slice of toast. This also highlights me as being a southern **** in Liverpool! I get ridiculed for thinking that bacon 'on toast' wouldn't be served between two slices of bread. However, my scouse mates still can't explain why egg 'on toast' or beans 'on toast' don't come between two slices of toast, following that principle!
I don't think it's necessarily what you think it is they find so offensive; it'll probably be because you've asked for a bacon sandwich with toasted bread instead of "normal" bread, that's where their derision stems from!

For the record if you were in Yorkshire and asked for a bacon toastie you'd get bacon in between two slices of toast. However, if you asked for any toastie with cheese in then the toast would be pressed together.

you've asked for a bacon sandwich with toasted bread
You've put words in my mouth, Lee - I asked for a toasted bacon sandwich!! I got some of the lads back when they came to stay darn sarf, and ordered bacon on toast!

You've put words in my mouth, Lee - I asked for a toasted bacon sandwich!! I got some of the lads when they came to stay darn sarf, and they ordered bacon on toast!
By ‘eck lad, I’m completely baffled now!

Did you order something that you expected to be two slices of toast with bacon in the middle?

By ‘eck lad, I’m completely baffled now!

Did you order something that you expected to be two slices of toast with bacon in the middle?
You mean like a bacon toastie?! I did!

Ask for bacon in a teacake. In Yorkshire you'd get currants with your bacon!

Was in Boston many moons ago, Paddy's week, for Whiskey and the 🍺.

Orderd a Cornbeef sandwich. It was definitely not what I was expecting;) It was 100% better, the craic was mighty also :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom