Foot brake and a driver used to manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cleverdicky

Hi , wondered if anyone else has come from a manual to auto but found a locking parking brake where the clutch should be.

I am VERY concerned a time may come when doing a hairy start at a dodgy junction, an automated leg response may whack the parking brake as if the clutch was there. Frightening :shock: prospect!
Is there a foot guard perhaps people could recommend. or another remedy that works (besides losing leg !)

many thanks

I have owned five MB's over the last few years, all with the same foot brake and I have never pressed it accidentally or even caught it with my foot. If you look at where it is when it has been released it is much higher than the other pedals. No need to worry.....:)

I never had this problem, when I came from a Mk1 Mondeo. ether wedge your foot under the parking brake, you knee up with your foot just under the seat.

The actual pedal is tiny remember.

I got the 'Mercedes ankle' when I 1st started with a Merc. As the accelarator pedal piviots from the top, and not the bottom I had ankle ache for a week or so :)

Keep your clutch foot on the footrest beside the transmission tunnel and that should help. You will soon be flooring the accelerator with the rest of us. One of the joys of torque converter auto-transmissions.:rock:

It'll never happen. The parking brake pedal is forward of the others. It would be well nigh impossible to do what you are suggesting.

I believe the driver who is new to auto is more likely to go for a clutch pedal with their left foot when a sudden situation in slow moving traffic arises, one thing for sure they never do it again (large brake pedal and the brain sending the foot to the floor)

He'll be more concerned putting the parking brake off I think .......

Over-zealous braking is the real problem - hitting the brake pedal with your left foot when anticipating a gear change could mean a new back bumper.

I believe the driver who is new to auto is more likely to go for a clutch pedal with their left foot when a sudden situation in slow moving traffic arises, one thing for sure they never do it again (large brake pedal and the brain sending the foot to the floor)

Yes indeed. Got that T-shirt! Only worn it once or twice though.

I drove manuals for a while after passing my test, but did migrate to an auto for a short time. I was fine until approaching the first set of lights. Nearly stopped and BANG! Just about headbutt the windscreen because I have automatically gone for the clutch. Wedged my left foot under the seat for a few trips afterwards and all was then well!

Funnily enough, this coincided with my first trip to the States and my Dad's auto (Lincoln Continental of about 1976 vintage) with auto on the column change. I was again fine with this until I returned home and got back into my auto. Everything went well until I got to my destination, whereupon I almost destroyed the indicator stalk trying to yank it (no pun intended) into 'Park'... :eek:

Thanks corned, and yes that sure does happen, not out on the highway, but for sure when in slow moving situations as both feet hit the brakes !
The young technicians at the dealers know all about it, mind only once

I have only had the two W124's with the foot operated parking brake , and never found it a problem .

Once you get properly used to using your left foot for braking , then moving off is no different from manual : lift your foot from the footbrake ( as you would from the clutch ) to move off and progressively apply throttle with the right foot - quite instinctive really , and no risk of DVT in an inactive left leg !

Thanks guys, reassuring. Was actually considering getting one of those fold back pedal guards.

So what foot do you generally brake with. Is it still the right leg?

Thanks guys, reassuring. Was actually considering getting one of those fold back pedal guards.

So what foot do you generally brake with. Is it still the right leg?

Yes, always with the same foot unless your on a track :D

ALWAYS left !

Otherwise , what a waste of a perfectly good leg .

I can still jump into a manual and drive the other way round without even thinking about it , been doing it for 30+ years now and no problems .

My C180 is a manual and a few weeks ago i drove a E320 CDi, which was actually my first auto i have ever driven and i had no problems whatsoever.

Anyway don't worry about it, you'll get used to an auto very quickly.

Maybe because soon after passing my test I had experience of autos and manuals, but I can say hopping out a manual into an auto my left foot has never so much as twitched. It has nothing to do so doesn't move. Not like the pedals are otherwise another way around.

ALWAYS left !

Otherwise , what a waste of a perfectly good leg .

I can still jump into a manual and drive the other way round without even thinking about it , been doing it for 30+ years now and no problems .

P we know this is how you do it. But of course this is wrong. Not helpful for the op methinks. In an auto everything is done with the right foot.

Hi , wondered if anyone else has come from a manual to auto but found a locking parking brake where the clutch should be.

I am VERY concerned a time may come when doing a hairy start at a dodgy junction, an automated leg response may whack the parking brake as if the clutch was there. Frightening :shock: prospect!
Is there a foot guard perhaps people could recommend. or another remedy that works (besides losing leg !)

many thanks

Make sure you educate the missus (assumption)especially if she has never driven an auto.

P we know this is how you do it. But of course this is wrong. Not helpful for the op methinks. In an auto everything is done with the right foot.

This is how lots of EXPERIENCED automatic drivers do it , and is exactly as it ought to be .

A good habit to get into at an early stage , therefore VERY helpful to the OP :)

If you want real pedal confusion then do one of two things:

1. Buy a pre-war Alfa Romeo or similar - centre throttle;
2. Buy a model 'T' Ford - pedals do anything BUT throttle/brake/clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom