Foot Brake not fully disengaging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merclover2005

Car
C180 Kompressor CL203 EVOLUTION AMG
Hi all,

The foot brake on my 2005 C180k coupe is intermittently not fully disengaging. It seems to stick more in cold weather or when I have to park on an incline and apply the brake more harshly. Am also concerned one of the rear brake discs have been damaged due to this issue (rear passenger side brake disc is sometimes so hot it'll burn to touch, whereas all other discs are cool). Now when braking I feel vibration in the pedal, so assuming the disc has warped due to it overheating so much! It recently has stuck so badly at times I can feel a vibration and jerking sensation until it releases properly. Usually accelerating hard or applying and releasing the footbrake many times will eventually release it. Many say on the forums to just not use the footbrake in winter and put the car into P as a prevention method or solution to the issue, but my merc is the fairly uncommon manual transmission so I rely solely on the foot brake when parking unless it's completely flat. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from not fully disengaging, or will it inevitabley get worse and mean an expensive trip to the garage 😶.

Thanks guys.

When pulling the release lever try lifting the pedal with you foot at the same time.
Get the cable pivot points, under the rear seat, well adjusted and lubricated.
In really cold weather leave the car in gear and point the front wheels toward the kerb.
Basically routine maintenance and adjustment will prevent problems..

Also one more thing to add. The shackles on the rear shoes tend to seize causing this too.

Update**
Thanks for your replies guys. Took it to my mechanic in London and turned out the left shoe was corroded and seized. Unfortunately this caused the brake disc and pads on that side to severely overheat, causing uneven wear, glazing and warping to the disc as suspected. So needed a new pair of rear discs, pads and shoes! Mechanic said cable itself was fine so that didn't need changing thankfully as I've heard that's quite a pain of a job. Also got the handbrake system readjusted so it only needs to be pushed a few clicks now and pivot points lubricated etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom