Footwell lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jon.english68

Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus Coupe
After wiring up the door puddle lights last month I set about installing the front footwell lights, so I bought a pair of LED lamps off eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351668328044

Having read that these lights need connecting to the front SAM and the programming I figured the must be an easier way, well this is what I did,

I pulled out the front overhead console and removed the bulb holders, I the soldered wires to each side of the bulb holder,
99297198f7cf4f63965c1e7a2fe4edd0.jpg

The ether end I soldered the LED lamp (1 for each footwell) and ran the wire over the roof lining to the A pillars and down to behind the dash
e81ca60d6e46dc7a6d6b3ba48cb7e595.jpg
07d5e4f9803aec12e392d89b6a6ea775.jpg

Then the lamp just fits the existing hole for the lamps in the lower dash panels
011c381f563b949cb65c678d8530ae1b.jpg

Jobs a good en' they light up with the front interior lamps and go out with them
9731b7b4d5385f923ef173cd1e14e016.jpg

That's a very neat solution, I like it.

I fitted a low intensity blue LED footwell lights to my car, but I just left them on all the time - they stay cool, and, I think look cool too ... :rolleyes:

Isn't that all rather bright at night ? Given what you did, I think you'd have no problem wiring it to the front SAM :) - although then you'd possibly have issue with LED not bulbs .. Of course, getting it coded is more difficult

Cheers

R

It's not actually as bad as it looks, I could have wired it to the SAM but then I'd have needed it programming, this way cost less than £15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it easy to remove the pillars?

Never done this on a Mercedes, but have done the same on other modern, similarly equipped cars. I didn't try to remove the trim, there's usually enough 'give' in the trim to tease the cable either between the screen and the trim, or the door seal and the trim, depending on which side of the trim you are routing the wire.

Your pics dont show

Just about to do this and was considering that the overhead display would be the best place because I wanted them to go out with the interior lights. Wouldn't it have been easier to add them to the switch, the one that will also switch off the display light from auto?

Im not sure why the pictures have disappeared, Marku soldering the wires to the light bulb fittings was by far the simplest way, the light console is all sealed and controlled via the CAN BUS so you cant actually get in to is very easily, soldering to the light fittings also makes it very simple to reverse should you need to.

Could you explain the second photo please? It looks like you've pulled trim off. When I put footwell lights in several cars, I've been able to tease the cabling between the trim and either the screen or door seal, depending on the cable routing, and to the dome light fixing by using a stiffer 'pull through' wire.

By not disturbing the trim, there was no risk of airbag failure, (or deploying!!) particularly in the A pillar.

Excellent final result though.

Im not sure why the pictures have disappeared, Marku soldering the wires to the light bulb fittings was by far the simplest way, the light console is all sealed and controlled via the CAN BUS so you cant actually get in to is very easily, soldering to the light fittings also makes it very simple to reverse should you need to.

Looks very good - do they come on when the car is unlocked and off when running? The overhead lights in mine are contained within a single unit that also has the phone microphone, reading lights, alarm interior sensors plus switches for towing, alarm and both sides reading, general light and the switch I mentioned which controls whether the lights come on when the vehicle is unlocked and off when the ignition is on. That's why I thought this might be better as in mine the light sockets are very much smaller and pick up their current by engaging a live ring in the unit.

9a8cf82e460a7f3a9269db344bbe1609.jpg

Unfortunately one of the pictures that have gone was of the light fitting, my light is the same as pictured

2d0db7af21f335e9a98ba05422f7d644.jpg

From the back you can remove the bulb holders to solder the wires to, then the foot well lights work exactly the same as the interior lights do [emoji106]

Usually, where fitted as oem, the footwell lights front and rear are part of the ambient lighting system and stay on all the time when the headlamps are on. As does the light at the base of the interior mirror. In which case you don't want them too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom