For all you Sprintbooster fans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Over the last few weeks we have been testing an alternative to the Sprintbooster on a BMW 530d M Sport. The device in question is a Velocity Throttle Booster as can be seen below.
Velocity-1.jpg

The device makes the sprint booster archaic, this one is switchable so you can turn it on and off and has 4 levels of sesitivity from Mild to OMG (race set up). It fits exactly the same as sprintbooster with a cable from behind the accelarator pedal to the box above which is discreetly mounted under the dash to the RHS of the driver.

For those of you that thought Sprint booster was wonderful, this device takes it to a whole new level. For those of you that hated Sprintbooster (me included) because it was just so harsh and uncontrolable then this fits the bill nicely.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

Price? Availability? Reliability (does it have 2 throttle position sensors as per OE or just one as per SB?)

I think I'd still begrudge paying anything more than £6 for what is essentially a variable pot, 4 switches and an AD converter - and at the end of the day putting my foot to the floor accomplishes the same result without always worrying about reversing into a wall if I twitch.

Last edited:
Price? Availability? Reliability (does it have 2 throttle position sensors as per OE or just one as per SB?)

I think I'd still begrudge paying anything more than £6 for what is essentially a variable pot, 4 switches and an AD converter - and at the end of the day putting my foot to the floor accomplishes the same result without always worrying about reversing into a wall if I twitch.

About £100 more than SB, readily available, Reliability? (will keep you posted) Not sure about TPS as I didn't fit it but will find out.

Totally agree with your last paragraph not a lot of electronics for a lot of money, but it does what it says on the tin.

Are there any C43 drivers here with a SB fitted?

I don't want one, then I do, then I don't... Would love to try a test fitting or just hear opinions...

Honestly until you've tried one and tested it on the ar$e-dyno please reserve judgement :)

Are there any C43 drivers here with a SB fitted?

I don't want one, then I do, then I don't... Would love to try a test fitting or just hear opinions...

Yes i have one, your very welcome to try it. I don't use it all the time. I plug it in when i go on a long trip, driving locally it's a a little sensitive.. I don't know where you live. I live in Weybridge and if you are near you can pop along anytime or if you can get to the Brooklands GTG at the end of March and I'm not working then you can try it out there, or at Olly's GTG.

It does make a big difference, as they say "unless you have tried it"

Last edited:
If it produces zero extra horse power, zero extra torque and does not reduce the weight or drag of the car then I'll stick to modulating the throttle myself :D

P.s. I have a TV remote control that starts the volume at 25 instead of 15 if anyone wants to buy it for £200+vat :D :bannana:p

If it produces zero extra horse power, zero extra torque and does not reduce the weight or drag of the car then I'll stick to modulating the throttle myself :D
Then you will continue to miss out ;) . If you go to a GTG and someone lets you borrow theirs or you try their car out you will not want to give it back!

Basically it stretches the exciting bit of the gas pedal over the whole pedal so every bit is exciting and the slightly dull bit (first third or half in some cases ;) ) is minimised. I know you say that if you want to floor it then you'll floor it but because of the way the sprintbooster works if in a comparison both parties floored it at exactly the same time the sprintbooster equipped car would be quicker due to reaching the "floored" position fractionally earlier.

Ordinarily when someone gushes this much about a product then I realise I'm accidently watching a home shopping channel and pick up the TV remote but the sprintbooster somehow makes zealots out of all it's customers!

Lots of high-performance cars now have a throttle aggression setting (BMW M5 and a couple of Ferraris spring immediately to mind) and they have "driving experience" somewhere near top priority.

Just try one and find out! :)

I'm from the opposite end of the scale, If you try one you'll find you can't wait to give it back must be the most worthless piece of junk that's ever been marketed in the performance sector. Throttle aggression settings on performance cars are something totally different to this piece of kit.

All it does is make the pedal more sensitive by taking out the lag, but remember the lag is in there for a reason on most cars so remove it at your peril. Also remember declare it to the insurance company I have now seen 2 not pay out because Sprint booster was fitted. If you go on a track day or the Ring you will find sprintbooster and the like actually increase your lap times as you can't feed the power in slowly and progressively on the exits.

I'm afraid this one is a Marmite device and personally I hate it with a passion.

Just my 2p worth

..and yes I fully understand how they work thanks ;)

Last edited:
Heh, marmite is right - thanks for the offer C43AMG, may take you up on it if our paths cross but given that this is my daily driver and I have another car if I fancy a bit of spirited driving I'll probably pass, spend a lot of time in traffic on the North Circ which I doubt is its ideal home :)

Then you will continue to miss out ;) . If you go to a GTG and someone lets you borrow theirs or you try their car out you will not want to give it back!

Basically it stretches the exciting bit of the gas pedal over the whole pedal so every bit is exciting and the slightly dull bit (first third or half in some cases ;) ) is minimised. I know you say that if you want to floor it then you'll floor it but because of the way the sprintbooster works if in a comparison both parties floored it at exactly the same time the sprintbooster equipped car would be quicker due to reaching the "floored" position fractionally earlier.

Ordinarily when someone gushes this much about a product then I realise I'm accidently watching a home shopping channel and pick up the TV remote but the sprintbooster somehow makes zealots out of all it's customers!

Lots of high-performance cars now have a throttle aggression setting (BMW M5 and a couple of Ferraris spring immediately to mind) and they have "driving experience" somewhere near top priority.

Just try one and find out! :)

I totally agree with that :)

Heh, marmite is right - thanks for the offer C43AMG, may take you up on it if our paths cross but given that this is my daily driver and I have another car if I fancy a bit of spirited driving I'll probably pass, spend a lot of time in traffic on the North Circ which I doubt is its ideal home :)

the golf is not an AMG V8 its just a golf, though im sure it's fast but will prob look ugly as it goes by. lol sorry!:eek:

I'm from the opposite end of the scale, If you try one you'll find you can't wait to give it back must be the most worthless piece of junk that's ever been marketed in the performance sector.

All it does is make the pedal more sensitive by taking out the lag, but remember the lag is in there for a reason on most cars so remove it at your peril. Also remember declare it to the insurance company I have now seen 2 not pay out because Sprint booster was fitted. If you go on a track day or the Ring you will find sprintbooster and the like actually increase your lap times as you can't feed the power in slowly and progressively on the exits.

I'm afraid this one is a Marmite device and personally I hate it with a passion.

Just my 2p worth

Over the last few weeks we have been testing an alternative to the Sprintbooster on a BMW 530d M Sport. The device in question is a Velocity Throttle Booster as can be seen below.

The device makes the sprint booster archaic, this one is switchable so you can turn it on and off and has 4 levels of sesitivity from Mild to OMG (race set up). It fits exactly the same as sprintbooster with a cable from behind the accelarator pedal to the box above which is discreetly mounted under the dash to the RHS of the driver.

For those of you that thought Sprint booster was wonderful, this device takes it to a whole new level. For those of you that hated Sprintbooster (me included) because it was just so harsh and uncontrolable then this fits the bill nicely.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

So you hate SB and say that lag is there for a reason, but are testing an alternative?
Sorry, but aren't you contradicting yourself a little bit here:confused:

So you hate SB and say that lag is there for a reason, but are testing an alternative?
Sorry, but aren't you contradicting yourself a little bit here:confused:

No I'm personally not testing an alternative, our company is and it is on my nephews (BMW 5 series E60)car who is the Technical Director. I hate Sprintbooster with a passion, Velocity is better engineered but in answer to your question I would have neither on any of my cars both over priced pieces of junk IMHO.

Whenever I or my nephew have driven on track with either SB or Velocity lap times are always slower, you can't feed the power in progressively on the exits so you loose time.

The original post was made for the benefit of people who do like sprintbooster but wanted something better, since then SB have launched SB2 in response to velocity, we also have one of these on test but again not on my car.

I realise my personal opinion is exactly that "personal" and what I don't like others may love and thats fine I respect that.

But no contradiction at all SB, SB2 and Velocity are not for me and thats my opinion and I know opinions vary. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom