For Bikers Of A Certain Vintage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm afraid I'm a bit more vintage than that John.

BSA Super Rocket, Norton Dominator era.

I nearly brought one of these, but bought the GSXR750 instead that was "D" reg first ever new bike.

I'm afraid I'm a bit more vintage than that John.

BSA Super Rocket, Norton Dominator era.

Yup...C12, T120, Rocket Gold Star etc. C12 was my first...and soooo much better than the C10/C11G :D:D

They were always amazing bikes. I was always a four stroke guy though.

I'm also from the Ariel Arrow era, many years later a Suziki GT125 which was as quick if not quicker than my old 250cc Ariel.

I'm also from the Ariel Arrow era, many years later a Suziki GT125 which was as quick if not quicker than my old 250cc Ariel.

I had an Arrow Sports. SS I think it was called.

Cracking little bike, and one in which the Japanese took a lot of interest.

I have an original of its little brother, a Mk1 RG250 Gamma which has the distinction of being the world's first aluminium framed production bike. Rarer than an LC but not a patch on an RGV250 - which I'd take over the RG500 any day.

His and hers organ donor's

Tony.

My most "modern" bikes were a Meridan T140V (awful bike) and a Guzzi T3 which I drove all over Italy. Loved that bike.

Like some of the others I loved my Brit bikes. BSA Bantam, Tiger cub, and for six years a Triumph Thunderbird (aka the pig)
Nothing would get me to change -Jap crap - pah!
Until I started to see my mates going off for the weekend while I was working on the bike.
So I got a CB550f in 1977. Changed my whole motorcycling world. I used to do more miles on that than in a month than I did on the pig.

Around the time you had your bike, John, I had a GPZ 750 turbo. Would have eaten you for breakfast :)

Now just content to pootle around on my Dragstar - had it around nine years and I love it. Two things guaranteed to put a smile on my face. Seeing my family, and riding my bike.

Edit: just to add, I was sixty a couple of weeks ago, and got up early and went for a good run through north Warwickshire up to Coleshill.
Exactly the same as I did on my sixteenth birthday on my Bantam.

Last edited:
Around the time you had your bike, John, I had a GPZ 750 turbo. Would have eaten you for breakfast :)

I had one too Ted - I'll see if I can dig out a photo later :thumb:.

Here you go Ted - sorry about the photo of a photo.

Also shown is my Pepsi Gamma (only 3000 miles), which I wish I'd kept, and the Honda CB1100RD which I've still got...

The Gamma has aged much better than the GPZ.
And to think I thought it looked almost futuristic at the time!!

The big disappointment was the NS400R..... how Honda messed that up I'll never understand. Guess that made up for it eventually with the Fireblade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom