For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Almost makes up for the dog that i have bought....

I'm exaggerating slightly - but there is definitely more work to do than I anticipated, or had been led to believe. The electrics are definitely flaky, to start with, but someone has annoyingly been there before me. I think I have no 12v electrics. Someone at some point has installed a standalone 3 stage battery charger/ The 12v power supply unit is still installed though. Need to spend some time working out exactly what has been done.

I'm wondering if it's just a dead battery in the first instance...
Oh dear. You seem handy though, I'm sure you'll sort it!

Yup, in a way I quite enjoy it, but having spend time keeping on top of the little jobs on ours (they do need tlc), it's frustrating that I'm going to have to blitz someone else's laziness.

Will be worth it in the end.

Hmmm.. Interesting caravan for sale

Swift Bowmere 2008 6 berth caravan

s-l1600.jpg

I had previously wondered what a wrapped caravan might look like. Now I know.

I now wonder what a professionally wrapped caravan might look like.

How is everyone dong? Wrapped up for Winter or still going?

We had a weekend out 3 weeks ago. Was determined to get the new van out for a test.... Had a very busy day beforehand as had a number of jobs to do. Job one was to drive to Halifax to pick up the new centre window, and take off the winter cover, fit the window and bring the van home.

Job two was to change the battery as the old one was deader than Churchill. Replacing the battery had a positive effect on my odd electrics.

Job three was to get the toilet working (electric flush unnecessary). I expected it to need a new pump, but this did not solve it. The old one was very rusty so the change was not wasted. I then rebuilt the rusty electrical connector with a waterproof connection. Still no joy. I then decided to do what I should have done in the first place, and got my circuit tester out. Diagnosed the switch. Caravan dealer is handily 5 minutes down the road, and after a fiddly swap joy.. we have water.

Pleasantly surprised over the weekend that I found no other faults. Need to build a to do list...

I also replaced the front marker lights which had lost their cover. As this was a bit of a pain I decided to fit LED bulbs....

We are going to take a while to get used to the new layout. And my wife is missing the large wardrobe we had in the old van....

The dog is also confused at who moved the door...

IMG_0114 by LRPlans, on Flickr

How is everyone dong? Wrapped up for Winter or still going?

We had a weekend out 3 weeks ago. Was determined to get the new van out for a test.... Had a very busy day beforehand as had a number of jobs to do. Job one was to drive to Halifax to pick up the new centre window, and take off the winter cover, fit the window and bring the van home.

Job two was to change the battery as the old one was deader than Churchill. Replacing the battery had a positive effect on my odd electrics.

Job three was to get the toilet working (electric flush unnecessary). I expected it to need a new pump, but this did not solve it. The old one was very rusty so the change was not wasted. I then rebuilt the rusty electrical connector with a waterproof connection. Still no joy. I then decided to do what I should have done in the first place, and got my circuit tester out. Diagnosed the switch. Caravan dealer is handily 5 minutes down the road, and after a fiddly swap joy.. we have water.

Pleasantly surprised over the weekend that I found no other faults. Need to build a to do list...

I also replaced the front marker lights which had lost their cover. As this was a bit of a pain I decided to fit LED bulbs....

We are going to take a while to get used to the new layout. And my wife is missing the large wardrobe we had in the old van....

The dog is also confused at who moved the door...

IMG_0114 by LRPlans, on Flickr

No wonder he's confused, it's upside down in the new caravan!! :D

Sounds like you're getting there, I'm sure the effort will be worth it when it's all sorted.

We were supposed to be in Chester (with the caravan) for half term but something more exciting came up so we cancelled Cheshire Oaks, went to the more exciting place instead! We have one more weekend trip planned in the caravan, before we winterise.

Mrs D noticed the roof has turned green all of a sudden so I need to see if the valet guy can come out sharpish to make it presentable before we go away in it!

Back to the forum briefly after seeing the sad news about Druk. Staggered and sad.

As this is the caravanning thread, I have spend today breaking into our caravan after the keys were stolen earlier in the week. The only key I do not have is for the wheel clamp... Gong to have to try a more old fashioned approach to that...

Scorchio! This mini heat wave is ideal for a spot of caravanning, anyone managed to get away?

One of our Powrtouch movers has stopped working. Disconnecting, cleaning up and reconnecting the spade connectors wasn't enough, so it looks like new brushes are in order. I might do all four motors and replace the rubber sheathes whilst I'm at it.

We did one night... the wife did the three Yorkshire peaks on Saturday with a 6am start which made the campsite down the road an easy choice...

A proper working farm we were put next to the sheep barn and the power supply was an extension lead which in turn should have been plugged in in the barn...

As usual a few teething problems for the season.... the bed was creaking appallingly. Cured now with some lubrication to the ends of the slats...

I have yet to get our mover working... I’ve never really needed one so I suppose I am being a bit lazy and ignoring it for now - especially as the one try I had I could not even engage the rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of niggles, we can't pick up a any TV channels. Picked up a few, moved the aerial and picked up a few others (but lost the originals), moved the aerial again and can't even pick up one!

I spent the day washing our caravan, which hasn't been used since August last year :oops:

We’ve got a Coachman 520/4 ViP and towed it latterly with a Jaguar XF 3.0. Sadly it was written off in a non fault accident last year.
We now tow with a Merc 220 CLS Shooting Brake and have only been out once so far which was the Easter weekend. I have to say the CLS towed well and it was not that noticeable with the smaller engine size which was a decicision we made with all this diesel malarkey.

The car is a 2017 model and had done only 800 miles when we purchased it and the caravan will be 11 years old this year but it still looks like new. I’m up on the roof polishing it at least once a year.
I’ve done a few mods on it to keep it up to date like full Led lighting, new tailored one piece carpet, re sited some of the sockets and heating controls, changed to full 13 pin wiring and last year I added some Hella side marker lamps.
Over the years I’ve refurbished the cooker, fridge and heater to keep them in perfect working order.

I’m on a caravan forum and read lots of horrifying stories about customers having trouble with new vans so my motto is “ If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”
Looking forward to getting away again soon as the weather improves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom