For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see so many serious complaints about new vans I see what you mean. My cousins swift has just had to have its floor replaced after one year...

They have always been built to a budget, but seems even more so nowadays.

I’m fairly happy with our current 12 year old one, although the wife is not so keen...

Always something to do on them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent 8 hours working on the caravan today! One of the four motormovers wasn't working. A call to Powrtouch last week gave me a few pointers.

So today I've eliminated a few things, then got to switching the brushes with a known "good" motor. The brush on the outside of the caravan came out easily. The brush on the "inside" is a different kettle of fish, the spring/cable came off in my hand. It's a bu66er to get to too, having to slide under the caravan to get to it, and spent hours trying to get the blooming thing out. Tweezers now ordered, next day delivery!

I finally gave up and so I decided to clean up the motors. I used some motorbike chain cleaner and lube to clean up and then re-lubricate the sliding mechanism. The chain cleaner is incredible stuff. It quite literally dissolved 9 years of grease and sludge, with bits falling of with the pressure of the aerosol. A liberal spray and a wipe with kitchen towel and they're like new again. More ordered!

I also gave the very dirty roof a good seeing to. The caravan is kept outside and is surrounded by tall conifers so the roof can get quite green. I guess it gets wet and then doesn't dry in winter, and so goes green. I gave the caravan a quick once over all over, so it's at least clean now. I really need to give it another wash, and go over it with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

We've just got back from our first trip away since early September last year. Our caravan is 14 years old now and going strong, all I've done really is replace all the bulbs with LED ones to reduce the power consumption. Still on the original submersible water pump, although I've replaced the flush pump in the toilet twice!

Just stumbled across this photo taken on at the time of the last Royal Wedding:

full

Just stumbled across this photo taken on at the time of the last Royal Wedding:

full

That caravan is massive!!

Spent 8 hours working on the caravan today! One of the four motormovers wasn't working. A call to Powrtouch last week gave me a few pointers.

So today I've eliminated a few things, then got to switching the brushes with a known "good" motor. The brush on the outside of the caravan came out easily. The brush on the "inside" is a different kettle of fish, the spring/cable came off in my hand. It's a bu66er to get to too, having to slide under the caravan to get to it, and spent hours trying to get the blooming thing out. Tweezers now ordered, next day delivery!

I finally gave up and so I decided to clean up the motors. I used some motorbike chain cleaner and lube to clean up and then re-lubricate the sliding mechanism. The chain cleaner is incredible stuff. It quite literally dissolved 9 years of grease and sludge, with bits falling of with the pressure of the aerosol. A liberal spray and a wipe with kitchen towel and they're like new again. More ordered!

I also gave the very dirty roof a good seeing to. The caravan is kept outside and is surrounded by tall conifers so the roof can get quite green. I guess it gets wet and then doesn't dry in winter, and so goes green. I gave the caravan a quick once over all over, so it's at least clean now. I really need to give it another wash, and go over it with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
It turned out the motor had seized so I had the Powrtouch engineer replace the motor, put new brushes in the other three motors, had new gaiters fitted all round, and had the fancy new black covers (which are available for Classic models) fitted for good measure. Normal service resumed. Ish.

The charging circuit isn't working correctly and appears to have bu99ered the battery. Again. This happened a few years ago, and I fitted the later upgraded version of the original Nordelecttrica charger fitted at the factory.

Despite being brand new and upgraded, it didn't last as long as the one fitted at the factory. So a Sargaent alternative has now been ordered. Browsing for a replacement battery now...

Interesting that there are new covers available! I give our AWD mover a spray with silicon lubricant regularly and have only had a dodgy spade terminal causing a motor to stop so far (touches wood) on the external parts. We had to have a new electronics box a couple of years ago as the remote stopped working and using the cable was a complete pain. Wouldn't want to be without the mover though!

Well I have strayed into this thread to find out what the caravan guys are up too,:D to my mind nobody should have a caravan that they cannot moved by shoving it;)

You can shove it on a dead level surface... but not recommended! And its worth all the agro - seriously comfortable!
view

view

Last edited:
Well I have strayed into this thread to find out what the caravan guys are up too,:D to my mind nobody should have a caravan that they cannot moved by shoving it;)
Well I also strayed into this thread. I always wondered how massive vans parked so tight to garden walls could be moved to get them hitched to tow car.
Can still cannot not see the appeal of attempting to spend a holiday pretending to be a member of the travelling community

We were yachties but my Mrs. weathered one storm too many and gave up. Think of a caravan as a land yacht, without the constraints of the UK weather. There are tranquil places to visit. Set up the 'van and it becomes home, then you can tour the area in your nice MB. Still have a yacht but its just for racing now and less of that as age advances.

2012-03-24-028b.jpg

Last edited:
As a sailing man myself I can understand, my wife only enjoyed sailing in the Carribbean! Any form of camping is not on her wish list so it is hotels for us ( she also only seems to choose ones with a Spa ) she tells me the capital cost of a motor home or a caravan will cover lots of weekends away . Cannot afford a third divorce so will just accept things

It turned out the motor had seized so I had the Powrtouch engineer replace the motor, put new brushes in the other three motors, had new gaiters fitted all round, and had the fancy new black covers (which are available for Classic models) fitted for good measure. Normal service resumed. Ish.

The charging circuit isn't working correctly and appears to have bu99ered the battery. Again. This happened a few years ago, and I fitted the later upgraded version of the original Nordelecttrica charger fitted at the factory.

Despite being brand new and upgraded, it didn't last as long as the one fitted at the factory. So a Sargaent alternative has now been ordered. Browsing for a replacement battery now...
The Sargaent battery charger arrived this morning (watched it's way towards me through the DPD app, very cool) and it was fitted within the air. Very straight forward swap, as it comes with a converter cable for replacing Nordelecttrica chargers. Spent a while feeling pleased with myself :)

watched it's way towards me through the DPD app, very cool

Glad to know it’s not just me :oops:

I had a caravan years ago, and we had some fun weekends and holidays away, I’d even consider another but the CL doesn’t seem to have Towbars available for them, kind of surprising!

I’ve often wondered if a W220 Towbar would fit? ...Has anyone ever fitted one?

I had a caravan years ago, and we had some fun weekends and holidays away, I’d even consider another but the CL doesn’t seem to have Towbars available for them, kind of surprising!

It's certainly got the power and weight for towing ... what's the trailer noseweight limit?

The sweet spot in terms of value is a mid-/late-noughties caravan

View media item 7829
Well we took your advice Bobby D, went and got this caravan, 2006 Swift Charisma 570 in good nick for a shade under £5k. Been away in it a couple of times already and we love it! Hope to make the most of it while our kids are still young enough.

Edit:don’t think I’ve got the hang of adding the pics yet:confused:

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-20_23-25-48.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-20_23-25-48.jpeg
    965.7 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom