For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m mid 20’s whether I tow either the Range Rover or Van.

Also agreed on wind. Makes a surprising difference as does selecting a lorry and draughting it at 56...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nat
We're unsure but the like the idea of been next to the sea this time so somewhere between Bournemouth and Weymouth areas. We've got a dog who is 12 1/2 with heart and lung problems which makes us restricted to any long distances as he stresses too much. Some of the prices of some camp sites are pretty steep. We did look into joining a club like the C&MH so will see how that goes. We've recently done fully serviced but happy to go just EHU as well.

The ML is a great tow car but does like the fuel. Taking it easy I'm in the early to mid 20's! Making progress is mid teens.

Was it Hillhead you stayed at?
Yes, Hillhead. To be honest it’s very expensive but it’s as close as you can get the caravan to Dartmouth, and if the weather is good it’s handy having a pool.

We’ve been caravanning for for 14 years now, and have probably stayed on Caravan Club (now Caravan & Motorhome Club) on 95% or more of the nights away as the sites are usually a predictably high standard, but with very very few exceptions little by way of facilities - but that suits us, experience tells me that the more facilities there are, the more likely it is that other people staying there will be discourteous.

We’ve only been unable to stay on the Caravan Club site we want on the dates we want once or twice, and that’s been on the Saturday and Sunday of a bank holiday weekend. They have some super cheap sites (without toilet block, but otherwise the same as other sites), and at £15 they’re great value.

Reactions: Nat
We just got back last night from our latest trip away - it was a bit breezy on Saturday! For weekends we just use a Fiamma roll-out roof, with 1 or 2 side panels depending on the weather. Midi sized awnings for longer stays.

I know there are a few dog owners here, so a couple of pics of 'feeding time' :D

dogs1.JPG

dogs2.JPG

Yup life is never boring with 8 dogs (and a horse) :)

I occasionally dip into this thread...I posted some while back that we were considering a caravan. Still considering...weighing up the pros and cons. Historically we have been campers, but getting a bit old now and prefer some comfort. My view is firming towards a caravan, helped by a very cold week in Cornwall recently - a week that would have been way more comfortable in a van. Though of course you do have to tow the thing to get there and back! So Mrs PXW is still slightly leaning towards sticking with the tent for a while. My counterargument to that is that the (realistic, enjoyable...) holiday season in the UK is probably getting on for twice as long in a van as a tent. Any thoughts? A number of you guys must have made the switch at some point - what do you see as the main benefits/disbenefits? In terms of vans, we've looked at a few, and I like the look of the Adria Adora 613DT Isonzo - its a bit wider, so can accommodate a fixed transverse bed that you can access from both sides. Anyone got any experience of these, or anything similar I should look at? Any views on new v secondhand? Do vans hold their value, or is depreciation similar to a car (so pretty much worthless after 7-10 years)?

Brief would be about getting space and comfort for two, without the hassle of making/dismantling beds. Tow car would be the S350 diesel estate, which I'm assured should cope with pretty much anything I might actually want to tow! (It's plated at 4750Kg, so is fine to tow despite being AMG Line).

I've towed a large folding camper before but not for a long time, so if/when we do decide to take the plunge then I would book on a towing course, even though I'm old enough to have the "special" license where I don't need to take the test!

We just got back last night from our latest trip away - it was a bit breezy on Saturday! For weekends we just use a Fiamma roll-out roof, with 1 or 2 side panels depending on the weather. Midi sized awnings for longer stays.

I know there are a few dog owners here, so a couple of pics of 'feeding time' :D

View attachment 86813

View attachment 86814

Thanks for posting these:) , cheered me up after losing my boy last month to cancer :(

I occasionally dip into this thread...I posted some while back that we were considering a caravan. Still considering...weighing up the pros and cons. Historically we have been campers, but getting a bit old now and prefer some comfort. My view is firming towards a caravan, helped by a very cold week in Cornwall recently - a week that would have been way more comfortable in a van. Though of course you do have to tow the thing to get there and back! So Mrs PXW is still slightly leaning towards sticking with the tent for a while. My counterargument to that is that the (realistic, enjoyable...) holiday season in the UK is probably getting on for twice as long in a van as a tent. Any thoughts? A number of you guys must have made the switch at some point - what do you see as the main benefits/disbenefits? In terms of vans, we've looked at a few, and I like the look of the Adria Adora 613DT Isonzo - its a bit wider, so can accommodate a fixed transverse bed that you can access from both sides. Anyone got any experience of these, or anything similar I should look at? Any views on new v secondhand? Do vans hold their value, or is depreciation similar to a car (so pretty much worthless after 7-10 years)?

Brief would be about getting space and comfort for two, without the hassle of making/dismantling beds. Tow car would be the S350 diesel estate, which I'm assured should cope with pretty much anything I might actually want to tow! (It's plated at 4750Kg, so is fine to tow despite being AMG Line).

I've towed a large folding camper before but not for a long time, so if/when we do decide to take the plunge then I would book on a towing course, even though I'm old enough to have the "special" license where I don't need to take the test!

I camped in tents for years, before switching. Apart from the obvious comforts a caravan is way easier because everything is in the caravan ready to use (stove, fridge, cutlery, plates, pans, etc.). So all you need to do before going away is to bung some clothes and fresh food in, and hitch up. Being able to keep a caravan at home makes it even easier - otherwise you do need to go and pick it up from wherever you store it. A constant problem for me with tents was having to dry them when getting home - it was rare to be able to pack up with everything completely dry.

Caravan layouts are a very personal thing but I'm also a big fan of transverse fixed beds. We went for one that has access from one side - the plus is that it lifts up on gas struts to give excellent storage for bulky things like camping chairs underneath. You need to think hard about how much you will use the washroom/shower - end bathrooms look lovely but do take up extra space that could otherwise be part of the living or cooking areas. For us a smaller side washroom is fine, although I would suggest that a separate shower cubicle is a must - apart from anything else it's very handy for hanging wet coats in!

As far as towing goes a caravan has a lot of side area and a relatively high CG so is more prone to sidewinds/wake from trucks etc. than a folding camper. So long as you have a tow vehicle that's significantly heavier than the caravan and has power in reserve it's fine. The only issue we have is occasionally ending up on unsuitable roads if we have to divert around traffic jams!

Caravans retain their value extremely well (so long as they're kept in good condition) ... you may find that a new one isn't that much more expensive than used. There are peaks & troughs in demand though - when I got our current one in 2004 I had dealers fighting for my old one as many had already sold their entire year's allocation of new caravans by February and were desperate for good used stock to keep them going!

Reactions: PXW
Rarely tented, but have just pitched at Le Man. My tent colleagues are getting wet as I’m dry!
aa56ca95617cedd951dbe1e25e56a3f3.jpg

Rarely tented, but have just pitched at Le Man. My tent colleagues are getting wet as I’m dry!
aa56ca95617cedd951dbe1e25e56a3f3.jpg

Is that an MGB I spy on the left of the photo?

It is indeed

91fc1474e586619f61d8f019e69c8ce1.jpg

Looks good - just got mine back on the road after three years on SORN. Nice looking SD1 behind it as well! Hope the weekend goes well

Cheers.

We have an eclectic camp with the rover, mgb, e39 M5, jag Xe and my transit custom [emoji3]

Yes, Hillhead. To be honest it’s very expensive but it’s as close as you can get the caravan to Dartmouth, and if the weather is good it’s handy having a pool.

We’ve been caravanning for for 14 years now, and have probably stayed on Caravan Club (now Caravan & Motorhome Club) on 95% or more of the nights away as the sites are usually a predictably high standard, but with very very few exceptions little by way of facilities - but that suits us, experience tells me that the more facilities there are, the more likely it is that other people staying there will be discourteous.

We’ve only been unable to stay on the Caravan Club site we want on the dates we want once or twice, and that’s been on the Saturday and Sunday of a bank holiday weekend. They have some super cheap sites (without toilet block, but otherwise the same as other sites), and at £15 they’re great value.

Bit the bullet last week and we've joined the Caravan & Motorhome Club and we're off this morning for a week to the south coast. The joining fee itself even at £52 has paid for itself already.

Just back from our 6th weekend away this year, competing with the dogs at Motcombe in Dorset. Agricultural showground - none of your fully serviced pitches here ... just a water tap 150m away :D

cvan2.JPG cvan1.JPG

Just back from a trip to Macrihanish to watch the Machstages rally. A long drive from anywhere!

Reactions: 219
On my way home last night , on the M8 approaching Glasgow airport , I passed a large 4x4 towing an impressively large american Airstream caravan .

Quite an unusual sight on our roads , and must admit I used to hanker after one .

These days , I'm more minded to look for an Eriba Touring to hitch onto the 190 .

I camped in tents for years, before switching. Apart from the obvious comforts a caravan is way easier because everything is in the caravan ready to use (stove, fridge, cutlery, plates, pans, etc.). So all you need to do before going away is to bung some clothes and fresh food in, and hitch up. Being able to keep a caravan at home makes it even easier - otherwise you do need to go and pick it up from wherever you store it. A constant problem for me with tents was having to dry them when getting home - it was rare to be able to pack up with everything completely dry.

Caravan layouts are a very personal thing but I'm also a big fan of transverse fixed beds. We went for one that has access from one side - the plus is that it lifts up on gas struts to give excellent storage for bulky things like camping chairs underneath. You need to think hard about how much you will use the washroom/shower - end bathrooms look lovely but do take up extra space that could otherwise be part of the living or cooking areas. For us a smaller side washroom is fine, although I would suggest that a separate shower cubicle is a must - apart from anything else it's very handy for hanging wet coats in!

As far as towing goes a caravan has a lot of side area and a relatively high CG so is more prone to sidewinds/wake from trucks etc. than a folding camper. So long as you have a tow vehicle that's significantly heavier than the caravan and has power in reserve it's fine. The only issue we have is occasionally ending up on unsuitable roads if we have to divert around traffic jams!

Caravans retain their value extremely well (so long as they're kept in good condition) ... you may find that a new one isn't that much more expensive than used. There are peaks & troughs in demand though - when I got our current one in 2004 I had dealers fighting for my old one as many had already sold their entire year's allocation of new caravans by February and were desperate for good used stock to keep them going!
It has been more than a decade for me , but I chose my last van ( Abbey GT ) because of its layout : dining/seating area at front which converted into double bed for us ( there were also bunks above which we never used ) ; kitchen down left side and wardrobe/shower/washroom down right side , and separate seating sleeping area , with two single seats which converted into a single bed , with bunk above , for the kids ; this section of the van could be closed off at night so that the kids could be put to bed while we sat up at the other end .

Re towing , both my van and the various ones my parents had , and which I towed when I started driving , always allowed a view through to see following traffic , also handy when reversing towards buildings or trees . I just wouldn't fancy a van with no back window or view through .

Once the kids grew up , and were no longer interested in caravan holidays , the van lay up the drive for four or five years before we decided to sell it .

Now I toy with the idea of getting a smaller one just for the two of us .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom