For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We’ve only been inside the caravan once since the beginning of November, so we went in today to make sure that all was well, test the motor movers and check tyre pressures.

We gave the inside a quick clean too, and threw out all the food which had gone off or spoiled since we were last in there, ie absolutely everything!

it was a good opportunity to hook up the new car for the first time, I actually put a deposit on this car (unseen) at the end of October last year when we were last away in the caravan.

Luggage space is very limited though as the engine is in the back of the car, so I’ll put as much luggage as I possibly can under/on the fixed bed at the back of the caravan.

i specifically went for this car - rather than a Fiat 500 or VW Up - because it’s RWD and so it should be much better at towing, especially important given it’s a twin axle caravan.

full
And as quickly as that’s it been winterised again. We should have been away for a week or so at half term, and again this weekend, but instead we were winterising. Anyway, it’s done now, looking forward to getting away in it next year.

Screenshot_20201108-130331_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201108-130431_Gallery.jpg

I was planning on getting our mororhome out when I got home, but lockdown has put a stop to that.

We park/camp fairly close to where we want to be and use the bikes to leisurely ride around.
I'm planning on sorting a scooter/bike rack for the back as I have a small scooter and a few bikes it could carry, so we can adventure further afield.

Venture North of the boarder next year Rob. Pot Noddles on us. 🥳
I’d like that Ant 👍🏻

Every year I book a Scottish leg for the Dazzler UK tour but we never quite manage it - I really need to sort that out. I’d really like to drive the North Coast 500 too 🤔

Just back from a trip to Pitlochry, got v lucky with the weather and Level 2 hospitality. Now got to wish it again.

So we just bpught our first caravan last week, been looking at them for a while and decided this was the best layout for us and best looking in our eyes in our budget, we stayed in it last night on the drive just to get a feel for it4CA700E3-7B83-49C4-9BD7-60BC6CD2A3CB.jpeg

So we just bpught our first caravan last week, been looking at them for a while and decided this was the best layout for us and best looking in our eyes in our budget, we stayed in it last night on the drive just to get a feel for itView attachment 104570
Nice! Great idea trying it on the drive. I k ow a few people who drive miles for their first trip and either an unexpected issue - or simply not understanding what to do - ruins their maiden voyage.

Well we have decided that we need a mattress topper, so that is being ordered, it took a while to understand why the internal water tank was just pouring out the bottom, once you fill the tank you need to manually turn it off again, we also worked out you need a watering can to fill the toilet flush tank, that would have been painful with what we had in the caravan, so all in a successful test

Well we have decided that we need a mattress topper, so that is being ordered, it took a while to understand why the internal water tank was just pouring out the bottom, once you fill the tank you need to manually turn it off again, we also worked out you need a watering can to fill the toilet flush tank, that would have been painful with what we had in the caravan, so all in a successful test

Top tip - use on of those large 123 washes Persil liquid bottles* (also works with some conditioner bottles) for the flush tank. The inbuilt spout was just right for ours - you can use one-handed much more easily than a watering can

314619.jpg

* other brands available!

I use an old 2 litre coke bottle, should really say cola bottle :D to fill the toilet tank. Is that internal water tank not the heater for hot water, or do you have a large onboard water storage tank?

Ah thats a good idea! there is a few tanks in it, 1 for hot water, 1 for cold water (as well as an aqua roll outside), 1 for the central heating and the toilet flush tank as well as the 1 for toilet waste, it was the flush tank 1 i was on about :)

If water was pouring from a tank, have you checked to make sure that the drain isn’t open? Drains are typically as follows:

1. Cold water tanks usually have a rubber bung which can be accessed through a hatch in the floor (usually under bed/sofa).

2. Hot water tanks usually have a yellow valve lever near but not necessarily close to the hot water tank (usually under cupboard/sofa).

Toilet flush tanks usually have a tube tucked with a small rubber bung up out of sight between the toilet cassette and flush fill flap.

Remember that you will need to drain all water storage over winter as it could freeze and cause damage - this is called winterising and there will be guidance in your handbook

When you do, remember to refit the bung or close the valve to make sure that the tank stays clean (spider free) and doesn’t keep emptying when you try to refill next time you use the caravan.

Also it’s a good idea to keep all doors, draws, and cupboards open to maximise airflow and prevent damp. Keeping the window and roof light blinds open will reduce the likelihood of losing tension too.

Last edited:
The water pouring out was from the overflow pipe from the internal fresh water tank, i didnt realise that you had to turn it off once it was full, after reading the instructions again it became clear.
i was reading about winterisation in my book too, it does talk about some drain thing for the flush tank but wasnt very clear where it was

The water pouring out was from the overflow pipe from the internal fresh water tank, i didnt realise that you had to turn it off once it was full, after reading the instructions again it became clear.
i was reading about winterisation in my book too, it does talk about some drain thing for the flush tank but wasnt very clear where it was
It may be different in your caravan but this where I’d look first:

1. Open the exterior hatch for the toilet cassette. The filler flap for the toilet flush should be directly above.

2. With the hatch open feel along the upper edge of the hatch opening - the top of the frame - you’re feeling for a rubber tube.

3. Gently pull the rubber tube to work out which end is fixed and which end is loose. It’s probably 6 inches or so long.

4. Have a large clean container with a screw top at hand - with the lid removed - a gallon ought to be OK unless the tank is full.

5. Position the tube to fill the container, and pull the bung from the end of the tube - the pink toilet flush will start to drain.

6. If it looks like your container isn’t big enough you can pop the bung back in and find another container.

7. Leave the bung out for a couple of minutes to allow any final drips to fall - no need to wait with container in position.

8. Put the lid back on the container and keep it for next season, as long as the container was clean you can reuse it.

Only thing I'd add is to give the flush pump a couple of bursts after draining the tank - this will clear out any water left in the pump itself and the pipework.

Awesome, thanks. Never even thought about keeping the toilet flush liquid for next year.
Is the antifreeze in the heating system the same as whats in a vehicle radiator?

Awesome, thanks. Never even thought about keeping the toilet flush liquid for next year.
Is the antifreeze in the heating system the same as whats in a vehicle radiator?

I would only top it up (if required) with the manufacturer's recommended stuff ... IIRC there are different types of antifreeze. It will be covered in the handbook.

I was planning on getting our mororhome out when I got home, but lockdown has put a stop to that.
I was planning on taking ours out for a one night stopover to Little Stretton so I could mountain bike around the Long Mynd ... but rodents put a stop to that!

This was to be a couple of days before Lockdown2 started. .... Anyway, went to storage yard to pick it up. It turned over and over but won't start. A very strong smell of diesel.

On investigation found that the diesel tank to injector system pipe had been chewed through ... argh!!!!. Rendered the motorhome un-drivable. As soon has you tin on the ignition the fuel pump fires top and was basically spewing diesel straight on to the floor.

Luckily I can get at the pipes from underneath and they are a clip on replacement part - £30 each. Fiat parts prices are so much nicer than Mercedes !

So have now invested in rodent repelling spays and electronic deterrent devices. Hopefully that will keep them away.

Fuel pipe - 1.jpg
IMG_2535 2.jpg

Similar but I would use the stuff recommended by the system manufacturer - I assume it’s Alde?

If you’re replacing - rather than topping up - apparently it needs to be extracted with a pump, and it’s not cheap at a dealer.

I have a friend who maintains mobile homes on caravan parks. I gave him a hand last winter with the drain down of several mobile homes.
He (in addition to draining down) connects an air line to the plumbing to blow out any trapped water and puts anti-freeze into traps (incl toilets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom