For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my way home last night , on the M8 approaching Glasgow airport , I passed a large 4x4 towing an impressively large american Airstream caravan .

Quite an unusual sight on our roads , and must admit I used to hanker after one .

These days , I'm more minded to look for an Eriba Touring to hitch onto the 190 .
I really fancy an Erica Touring 820, but yet to see one in the metal.

ERIBA Touring 820 | Extraordinary design icon based on tried-and-tested technology

It has been more than a decade for me , but I chose my last van ( Abbey GT ) because of its layout : dining/seating area at front which converted into double bed for us ( there were also bunks above which we never used ) ; kitchen down left side and wardrobe/shower/washroom down right side , and separate seating sleeping area , with two single seats which converted into a single bed , with bunk above , for the kids ; this section of the van could be closed off at night so that the kids could be put to bed while we sat up at the other end .

Re towing , both my van and the various ones my parents had , and which I towed when I started driving , always allowed a view through to see following traffic , also handy when reversing towards buildings or trees . I just wouldn't fancy a van with no back window or view through .

Once the kids grew up , and were no longer interested in caravan holidays , the van lay up the drive for four or five years before we decided to sell it .

Now I toy with the idea of getting a smaller one just for the two of us .
I've towed for quite some time with no view through the caravan and don't miss it. Mind you I don't have a view through my van either :)

Reactions: 219
We just got back from 12 days away in the caravan - 5 days at Rockingham Castle, then 7 days near Ipswich. Rockingham was a bit of a challenge - torrential rain turned it into a bog, and very strong winds caused some problems. You can see my flagpoles bending in the wind in one of the pics (they are 'heavy duty' ones and survived OK). Had to drive the Vito out a couple of times which was interesting ... made it OK but needed to get the caravan pulled off by a 4x4 when we left on Monday. Ipswich was rather better - still had some heavy rain but better ground so didn't get boggy.

8.5 metre pole with 900 LEDs that cycle through approx. 250 different patterns/sequences:

cp04.JPG

On the left is my 10 metre pole which would normally have a long windsock on it ... shows how windy it was:

cp03.JPG

100W solar panel powers the LED pole via a separate 65 Ah battery:

cp02.JPG

We only put the awning up for longer stays ... the 'garden' is a bit lopsided as the stakes kept blowing over :D

cp01.JPG

We got back from three weeks in France last Monday. Overnight in Le Mans, then to The Vendee, britanny and a few nights in Picardy. Returned home to the usual misery of British motorways taking 5.5hrs to get from the tunnel back to Leicester. Trip meter showed 1499.7 miles as I reversed the outfit up the drive; wife suggested going “round the block” to make it a round 1500 but I politely refused!

We got back from three weeks in France last Monday. Overnight in Le Mans, then to The Vendee, britanny and a few nights in Picardy. Returned home to the usual misery of British motorways taking 5.5hrs to get from the tunnel back to Leicester. Trip meter showed 1499.7 miles as I reversed the outfit up the drive; wife suggested going “round the block” to make it a round 1500 but I politely refused!

Sounds excellent.

We are in France for a few days via plane. Return on Wednesday to collect the caravan and head to Brittany at the weekend.

Annoyed that our overnight stop near dover before early ferry has just sent an email to warn that they are hosting a wedding and there will be loud music till late. Not what I needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds excellent.

We are in France for a few days via plane. Return on Wednesday to collect the caravan and head to Brittany at the weekend.

Annoyed that our overnight stop near dover before early ferry has just sent an email to warn that they are hosting a wedding and there will be loud music till late. Not what I needed!

We stayed at black horse farm the night before our crossing. I didn’t get any sleep because they were resurfacing the road outside all night. I certainly recommend looking for an alternative site as it was far from ideal driving a long distance after such a bad nights sleep.

We stayed at black horse farm the night before our crossing. I didn’t get any sleep because they were resurfacing the road outside all night. I certainly recommend looking for an alternative site as it was far from ideal driving a long distance after such a bad nights sleep.

New plan. Crossing changed to later on Saturday afternoon and staying on a site for the night near Dunkirk.

Saves an early start on Sunday as well which is nice..

Watched my caravan go off into the sunset a couple of weeks ago. On the plus side we did get to use it 6 times in the 4 months we owned it.

Sad.

Just back. Great week, marred slightly by the dogs upset tummy one night. That was really not very pleasant!

We just got back from our 9th trip this year a few hours ago :)

So ... anybody starting 2020 with a new caravan? We went out to look at a few shortlisted models recently and were seriously disappointed with the build quality ... we actually ended up stuck in the washroom of one when the door jammed, and had to phone the office to send someone to get us out! :D One issue with most new caravans is bed size - I'm 6' 1" and want a fixed bed I can actually lie down on without my feet hanging off the end or hitting a wall. The layout we have now (fixed transverse rear bed, side washroom) doesn't exist any more, and obviously a transverse 'island' bed can't go all the way across because you need to be able to get past it. Strangely though the longitudinal island beds aren't any bigger :dk: In the end we only managed to find one caravan which was (a) decent quality (b) not too long for our drive and (c) had a bed that fitted me ... a Bailey Unicorn:
Capture.JPG
Having no front locker is a bit odd but I'm sure we'll get used to it - there's external access to two of the side lockers (with plastic trays that drain through the floor, for wet items), which helps. The 155 kg payload is pretty typical but a lot less than the 218 kg we have now, so we'll need to be a bit more disciplined on what we carry. We would happily have gone without some of the standard kit (e.g. the Al-Ko ATC system, shock absorbers, microwave, wet central heating, etc.) to have a bit more payload :( but I guess these are things that most people want. We'd also have preferred the smaller front dinette area (shorter benches) that many of the island bed layouts have, giving a bit less overall length. But overall it's a nice van and we're looking forward to getting it - 16 years since I last bought one!

Capture2.JPG

So ... anybody starting 2020 with a new caravan? We went out to look at a few shortlisted models recently and were seriously disappointed with the build quality ... we actually ended up stuck in the washroom of one when the door jammed, and had to phone the office to send someone to get us out! :D One issue with most new caravans is bed size - I'm 6' 1" and want a fixed bed I can actually lie down on without my feet hanging off the end or hitting a wall. The layout we have now (fixed transverse rear bed, side washroom) doesn't exist any more, and obviously a transverse 'island' bed can't go all the way across because you need to be able to get past it. Strangely though the longitudinal island beds aren't any bigger :dk: In the end we only managed to find one caravan which was (a) decent quality (b) not too long for our drive and (c) had a bed that fitted me ... a Bailey Unicorn:
View attachment 92871
Having no front locker is a bit odd but I'm sure we'll get used to it - there's external access to two of the side lockers (with plastic trays that drain through the floor, for wet items), which helps. The 155 kg payload is pretty typical but a lot less than the 218 kg we have now, so we'll need to be a bit more disciplined on what we carry. We would happily have gone without some of the standard kit (e.g. the Al-Ko ATC system, shock absorbers, microwave, wet central heating, etc.) to have a bit more payload :( but I guess these are things that most people want. We'd also have preferred the smaller front dinette area (shorter benches) that many of the island bed layouts have, giving a bit less overall length. But overall it's a nice van and we're looking forward to getting it - 16 years since I last bought one!

View attachment 92873

Looks nice.... enjoy when it arrives .

View attachment 92871

View attachment 92873
Looks and sounds great! I’m sure it will give you plenty of happy memories during it’s time with you. Are you part exchanging or selling your current caravan?

We’ve had our caravan 11 years now (when this thread started) and have never found one we like more, having tried plenty of times over the years.

I really do like the look of the Erica 820 but have yet to see one in the metal. Mrs D is less keen but I think if she saw one then she would absolutely love it.

Are you part exchanging or selling your current caravan?

Someone we know is potentially interested in it, but if that doesn't work out then it will probably go in part-ex. Delivery of the new one is provisionally April/May so we've got a little time to sort it out.

Crikey. The Caravan & Motorhome Club have closed all sites and certificates locations with immediate effect until 30 June. My membership has only just renewed in the last week or so too!

I had this email from them yesterday :-

Dear Mr

To help ensure Government advice on social distancing is followed the Club will be closing its UK sites network today - Sunday 22 March 2020.

This will include the Certificated Locations network. We are in the process of advising all CLs to this effect.

All UK sites and CLs will remain closed until 30 June 2020.

The safety and wellbeing of our members, local communities, guests and staff is of paramount importance to us and we feel this move supports the recommendations issued by the Government.

If you are currently on one our sites, please contact the site staff who will advise you on how and when you need to leave the site. Please ensure you maintain social distancing at all times, in line with Government guidelines.

If you have an imminent booking please do not travel to site. We will issue updates on a regular basis so please check our website www.camc.com. We will be in contact with members who have imminent bookings.

We thank you for your patience and support during these challenging times.
Stay safe and well.

Nick Lomas
Director General
Caravan and Motorhome Club

Had to happen at some stage.

Yes. A few private sites still open, but I would not fancy it.

I need to move an Easter booking on the IoW to the summer.

Le Mans postponed to September too..

I had this email from them yesterday :-

Dear Mr

To help ensure Government advice on social distancing is followed the Club will be closing its UK sites network today - Sunday 22 March 2020.

This will include the Certificated Locations network. We are in the process of advising all CLs to this effect.

All UK sites and CLs will remain closed until 30 June 2020.

The safety and wellbeing of our members, local communities, guests and staff is of paramount importance to us and we feel this move supports the recommendations issued by the Government.

If you are currently on one our sites, please contact the site staff who will advise you on how and when you need to leave the site. Please ensure you maintain social distancing at all times, in line with Government guidelines.

If you have an imminent booking please do not travel to site. We will issue updates on a regular basis so please check our website www.camc.com. We will be in contact with members who have imminent bookings.

We thank you for your patience and support during these challenging times.
Stay safe and well.

Nick Lomas
Director General
Caravan and Motorhome Club

Had to happen at some stage.
That looks like the same as we received. It got me thinking we have a holiday on the Isle of Wight booked with the caravan, which we’ll now need to change or cancel.

It’s also blown my backup plan fii I f work.

I’m soon going to have to stop overnight travelling.

Much of my work is very rural so not high risk at all, assuming I can find safe overnight accommodation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom