For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup as of yesterday the Government guidance was updated to avoid "visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays.", hence the notifications from clubs etc.

We were due to pick up our new caravan this Friday, but no idea if that will happen now (could be handy to have at home for isolation purposes if any of us should start to display symptoms). The supplying dealership is only working a 4-day week (Wed-Sat) at the moment, so nobody there to ask! The events we were due to use the caravan at have all been cancelled through to the end of June, and also a big event in August.

The people who were interested in our old caravan drove down from Leicestershire, loved it, paid on the spot and took it away there and then! Very strange not having a caravan outside the house after so many years, but it did give us a chance to sort out the block paving (which had dropped slightly where the tyres were).

We have a static caravan on the west coast of Wales , just been told the site is being closed. Heard similar claims all through Wales.

So we're obviously not getting our new caravan this Friday as the dealership (quite rightly) shut their doors and sent all the staff home. Luckily this happened just before we were due to transfer the full funds for the purchase rather than just after ...

We have a static caravan on the west coast of Wales , just been told the site is being closed. Heard similar claims all through Wales.

Quite right too! Too many holiday cottages rented out already.
Welsh health system underfunded and hospitals few and far between and are crowded at the best of times. They are already converting our local leisure centre into hospital wards to cope with the expected influx of Coronavirus cases

Easter break on isle of wright cancelled today. I had assumed it would be so good to be sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had a temporary defection every other week for the past 5 weeks to enable me to carry on with work.

I am not impressed in general.

I’ve had a temporary defection every other week for the past 5 weeks to enable me to carry on with work.

I am not impressed in general.

You mean you’ve been living in it whilst working?

Looks nice. My neighbour has something very similar but rejected it and never replaced it - it put them off motorhoming which is a shame because once I explained things they didn’t understand (being newbies) and adjusted a few cupboards there wasn’t much left wrong with it.

You mean you’ve been living in it whilst working?

Looks nice. My neighbour has something very similar but rejected it and never replaced it - it put them off motorhoming which is a shame because once I explained things they didn’t understand (being newbies) and adjusted a few cupboards there wasn’t much left wrong with it.

Pretty much. My job involves inspecting telephone masts across the UK. Most hotels are closed, and while I the industry is classed as critical, hotels that are open are not particularly close to where I need to be often, and I'm not over excited to be in hotels...

This one is a hire vehicle, and is unused between my hires. It makes an awful racket with constant bangs, rattles and crashes from every cupboard, oven etc.

It is very nice to just park up and sit down though. Had some unusual stops, including a Seminary, Nuclear Bunker (museum) and a few golf clubs...

I did think, especially in the early weeks that I would get to speak to a few police officers, but no one has given me a second look, even going into Cornwall - although I have had some logo'd Work Vehicle signs in the windows which may have helped.

Pretty much. My job involves inspecting telephone masts across the UK. Most hotels are closed, and while I the industry is classed as critical, hotels that are open are not particularly close to where I need to be often, and I'm not over excited to be in hotels...

This one is a hire vehicle, and is unused between my hires. It makes an awful racket with constant bangs, rattles and crashes from every cupboard, oven etc.

It is very nice to just park up and sit down though. Had some unusual stops, including a Seminary, Nuclear Bunker (museum) and a few golf clubs...

I did think, especially in the early weeks that I would get to speak to a few police officers, but no one has given me a second look, even going into Cornwall - although I have had some logo'd Work Vehicle signs in the windows which may have helped.
I would have thought you would get stopped every five minutes!

Strange you say about the crashing sounds, that’s what unnerved my neighbours. There will always be some, but adjusting hinges and installing jelly dots took away a good chunk of it.

I'm after an old minnie winnie when I get home, something for me and the mrs to just disappear in around Scotland,Ireland, Europe etc.
It will also come in useful for my motorbike events.
I have a swift charisma twin axle caravan at the moment, which hardly ever gets used.

Finally picked up the new caravan yesterday (ordered at the end of Feb.).

Has anybody else had issues with MB factory towing electrics? On my old caravan the fridge never worked on 12V (while hooked up). That had 12N / 12S plugs so went through a converter lead to connect to the 13-pin socket on the Vito, so I assumed it was something to do with that (plus I knew the 12S fridge connections changed at some point, which could also have been a factor). Anyway ... with the new caravan hooked up the Al-Ko ATC system wasn't getting power, so it looks very much like the permanent live and/or switched live in the 13-pin socket aren't live (and presumably never have been). The ATC powered up fine when the caravan was plugged in to another vehicle, so the issue is definitely with the Vito's socket.

Not sure how easy it's going to be to get that fixed, given that it's the factory loom. I'm not that bothered about the ATC to be honest but it would be nice to be able to chill the fridge while towing.

Well mystery solved on the 13 pin socket ... there aren't even any contacts fitted for the fridge feed & earth (10 & 11)! And 9 (directly above 10) is meant to carry permanent battery voltage, but has nothing (engine running or stopped).

Capture.JPG

I think it's something to do with the Germans not traditionally having the fridges in their caravans. I've seen complaints from VW owners who have paid a fortune for dealer fitted electrics only to find there is no 12v for the fridge.

I think it's something to do with the Germans not traditionally having the fridges in their caravans. I've seen complaints from VW owners who have paid a fortune for dealer fitted electrics only to find there is no 12v for the fridge.

Could be, but AFAIK continental caravans do normally have fridges (typically not ovens or grills though). I had a VW before but the factory towing electrics on that came with 12N / 12S sockets rather than 13-pin.

I've found out that Al-Ko ATC is powered from the permanent live (pin 9), which is there in my socket but not working. One possible complication in getting this fixed is that I have caging in the back which makes removing some trim panels impossible without taking the caging out first!

The MB electrics in our W164 ML don’t power the fridge when towing either, but our W166 ML does.

Come on let’s see the photos of the caravan 👍🏻

Come on let’s see the photos of the caravan 👍🏻

It would be hard to beat this guy's walkaround video, so if you're interested ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We've been loading it up today. Took a bit of thought ... with no front locker everything that would normally be in there has to go in the side lockers on the nearside ... positioned so it can be accessed from outside. But we got everything in quite comfortably - the overall length & weight are very similar to our old van, although that was a different layout (end bed / side washroom).

The only change I've made so far is to slightly move the key switch for the motor mover - that's in the big locker under the fixed bed (so it can be accessed from outside through the side door), but we keep bulky things like chairs in there and it looked a bit vulnerable where the dealer had put it. It has a wind-down spare wheel under the floor, the battery box is there too.

Need to have a think about fitting a fire extinguisher somewhere, and I'd also like to to get a new TV. We had some fun and games with the TV mount ... there are timber supports built into the panels either side of the fridge, but Bailey don't provide their dealers with a template or measurements showing where they are! So they actually removed the fridge to look inside and confirm the approximate location before drilling the holes. Apparently this has caused so many problems that they will be factory fitting TV mounts next year (about time).

The factory solar panel (100W) is nice ... it's permanently on so I can't see that I'll ever need to use the mains charger at home.

Why didn't they use a stud finder? Rather than removing the fridge. Nice looking van though, I've had my Bailey from new, bought in 2004, still love it.

Why didn't they use a stud finder? Rather than removing the fridge. Nice looking van though, I've had my Bailey from new, bought in 2004, still love it.

Good question!

I bought our previous van (Abbey GTS Vogue) new in 2004 ... it was still in great condition. I've never had a Bailey before .. two Elddis ones before the Abbey.

Today the Caravan Club confirmed that they won’t be offering seasonal pitches this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom