For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Erm ... what's a seasonal pitch? In 25+ years of caravanning I have never been to a proper campsite 😊 However all the dog agility competitions we'd normally have been at have been cancelled through to at least the end of September, so we joined the Camping & Caravanning Club yesterday. Looking at going for a few long weekends away to try out the new van - their CSs (same as CC CLs) are closest to what we are used to i.e. a field with a water tap and somewhere to empty the toilet :D

Erm ... what's a seasonal pitch? In 25+ years of caravanning I have never been to a proper campsite 😊 However all the dog agility competitions we'd normally have been at have been cancelled through to at least the end of September, so we joined the Camping & Caravanning Club yesterday. Looking at going for a few long weekends away to try out the new van - their CSs (same as CC CLs) are closest to what we are used to i.e. a field with a water tap and somewhere to empty the toilet :D
A seasonal pitch means that you can leave the caravan in situ for a longer period than would be allowed or economically viable on a normal booking. Many people do this for the whole season, from Easter to the end of September, but we were just going to do it from mid July until the end of September.

It means we can stay away for much longer over the school holidays, and we can travel further afield for weekends. It makes it viable to finish work on Friday night, travel 200 miles and arrive very late - we’re not towing so we can travel at higher speeds and there’s minimal set-up when we arrive.

No hitching either, so overall it’s much quicker, door to door. It works really well for us, and have done it a few times for the school holidays.it works out well financially too given that the nightly rate is much reduced, and we save a fortune on fuel (guessing £60 or even more for a 400 mile trip - big caravan, big engine, super unleaded).

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Do you need special insurance for leaving the caravan somewhere else??

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Do you need special insurance for leaving the caravan somewhere else??

If you are thinking of doing something like that. check awning rules first. Some sites won't allow you leave it up for more than a couple of days, even in Summer when there is unlikely to be an issue. Imagine assembling the Divorce-In-A-Bag every time you go!

For us when we had a tourer, the awning was essential. In fact, we probably spent more time in there than the van!

P.S. Some sites will not allow anybody to sleep in them neither. Ours was handy for grandkids!

If you are thinking of doing something like that. check awning rules first. Some sites won't allow you leave it up for more than a couple of days, even in Summer when there is unlikely to be an issue. Imagine assembling the Divorce-In-A-Bag every time you go!

For us when we had a tourer, the awning was essential. In fact, we probably spent more time in there than the van!

P.S. Some sites will not allow anybody to sleep in them neither. Ours was handy for grandkids!

Interesting about sleeping in the awning. My son (aged 12) has a small pop-up tent that we put up close to the caravan ... we were assuming this wouldn't be allowed at a 'proper' site, and did think about him using the awning instead. I wasn't keen on it though as the fridge vents are in there, and running on gas ...

We normally just use a Fiamma roll-out roof, with the awning just for longer stays (more than a weekend). We have a 3m x 2.4m Dorema Mistral which is plenty big enough but quick & easy for me to put up and take down on my own. At the shows we go to the normal pitch size is 10x8 metres and everything (including your vehicle) must fit within that space, so a full awning would be out of the question anyway. We generally put mesh fencing up around the perimeter so the dogs can be loose around the unit in the evenings etc. Here at Lansdown Racecourse, Bath:

Capture.JPG

Interesting about sleeping in the awning. My son (aged 12) has a small pop-up tent that we put up close to the caravan ... we were assuming this wouldn't be allowed at a 'proper' site, and did think about him using the awning instead. I wasn't keen on it though as the fridge vents are in there, and running on gas ...

We normally just use a Fiamma roll-out roof, with the awning just for longer stays (more than a weekend). We have a 3m x 2.4m Dorema Mistral which is plenty big enough but quick & easy for me to put up and take down on my own. At the shows we go to the normal pitch size is 10x8 metres and everything (including your vehicle) must fit within that space, so a full awning would be out of the question anyway. We generally put mesh fencing up around the perimeter so the dogs can be loose around the unit in the evenings etc. Here at Lansdown Racecourse, Bath:

View attachment 98059
Many sites will allow a “pup” tent, but always best to check with the site first. With the clubs there is usually some consistency of rules across most or all of their sites.

We had some fun and games with the TV mount ... there are timber supports built into the panels either side of the fridge, but Bailey don't provide their dealers with a template or measurements showing where they are! So they actually removed the fridge to look inside and confirm the approximate location before drilling the holes. Apparently this has caused so many problems that they will be factory fitting TV mounts next year (about time).

A little update to this ... I got the new TV today, tried it on the mount ... which came away from the wall :mad: Looking more closely two of the three screws they'd spent so long putting in had gone into a void, not reinforcing timber. Not best pleased - I'd actually ordered a stud locator to see if I could find somewhere to put a fire extinguisher so will have a play when that arrives, but I've got at least two pointless screw holes in my brand new caravan now.

And the TV. I splashed out and went for an Avtex this time (only a little 16" one as we're almost always on 12V and the next size up - 19.5" - uses double the power) ... and the up/down/left/right navigation buttons on the remote don't work properly. I did get a prompt reply back from the vendor though saying they had asked the distributor to send me a replacement. Apart from that the TV looks nice.

Put an auto changeover gas valve on (can't think why these aren't standard) and just waiting for some longer pigtails now. Went for stainless steel ones this time to avoid having to replace them every 5 years.

Oh and I've got a guy coming in a couple of weeks to sort out the power connections on the towbar wiring. He said it was a pretty common job for them on Mercs.

A little update to this ... I got the new TV today, tried it on the mount ... which came away from the wall :mad: Looking more closely two of the three screws they'd spent so long putting in had gone into a void, not reinforcing timber. Not best pleased - I'd actually ordered a stud locator to see if I could find somewhere to put a fire extinguisher so will have a play when that arrives, but I've got at least two pointless screw holes in my brand new caravan now.

And the TV. I splashed out and went for an Avtex this time (only a little 16" one as we're almost always on 12V and the next size up - 19.5" - uses double the power) ... and the up/down/left/right navigation buttons on the remote don't work properly. I did get a prompt reply back from the vendor though saying they had asked the distributor to send me a replacement. Apart from that the TV looks nice.

Put an auto changeover gas valve on (can't think why these aren't standard) and just waiting for some longer pigtails now. Went for stainless steel ones this time to avoid having to replace them every 5 years.

Oh and I've got a guy coming in a couple of weeks to sort out the power connections on the towbar wiring. He said it was a pretty common job for them on Mercs.
Holes in the wall must be frustrating. Worth calling the dealer perhaps to see if they will repair - sounds like a poor job. Good news on the electrics though, hopefully straightforward if it’s common 👍🏻

Not overly impressed with the dealership TBH. I know I'm quite fussy, but I keep finding things I really would have expected them to catch. They'd had the caravan since March, their staff had been back for some time, and we were the only collection that day. Apart from the TV mount not being done when we got there (which I'd reminded them about when booking the collection 2 weeks before) I immediately noticed one corner of a skylight surround hanging down (it was missing a clip) and the edge trim hanging off the washroom door (which they glued). Since getting it home I've found various other things - external trims not clipped in correctly, all the cables into the TV aerial box loose (not screwed in at all), most (but not all) of the plastic sheet that covers the floor still there under the carpets, the trim strip is also coming off the other edge of the washroom door, etc. All minor things but disappointing for a brand new caravan to need DIY as soon as you get it home.

Not overly impressed with the dealership TBH. I know I'm quite fussy, but I keep finding things I really would have expected them to catch. They'd had the caravan since March, their staff had been back for some time, and we were the only collection that day. Apart from the TV mount not being done when we got there (which I'd reminded them about when booking the collection 2 weeks before) I immediately noticed one corner of a skylight surround hanging down (it was missing a clip) and the edge trim hanging off the washroom door (which they glued). Since getting it home I've found various other things - external trims not clipped in correctly, all the cables into the TV aerial box loose (not screwed in at all), most (but not all) of the plastic sheet that covers the floor still there under the carpets, the trim strip is also coming off the other edge of the washroom door, etc. All minor things but disappointing for a brand new caravan to need DIY as soon as you get it home.
Sorry to hear that. It is disappointing but unfortunately not uncommon. Many people I know who've bought new caravans and motorhomes report similar issues, and some much more significant.

My neighbour rejected their motorhome, it was there first foray, and they naturally expected it to be spot on given they spent a fortune on it (£64k I think), and it had supposedly been inspected. It had lots of small issues which I fixed for them, with a few more fundamental ones - one being the heating system letting in water through the vent and closing it down - and some which are just the way it is.

They rejected it and got their money back, but I think that was mostly because they had been told it was a box fresh factory order and they waited several months for it. When they got it home it turned out it had been an ex-demo in another dealer altogether, 2 months before they even placed the order. They still lost a lot of money though because they're stuck with all of the other costs they incurred.

Nice looking caravan, sorry to hear the problems but it’s not uncommon sadly.

My transit had similar issues with power. I had a word with the dealer and it took the installers ten minutes to add the loom on my driveway.

Hope you all managed to book some sites up!

We did manage to book a site in mid-July, so we'll be trying the new caravan out then.

I contacted Bailey about the TV mount and they very helpfully provided me with the design drawings (attached below) showing where the 32mm wide internal timbers are Obviously the dealer could have done this just as easily (if they didn't already have the info). Bailey recommended taking it back to the dealer, but since they'd already screwed it up once I confirmed the measurements with a stud detector and moved the mount myself (having also bought some more suitable sized screws). Dealer holes on the right ... the bottom one had just clipped the edge of a horizontal timber, but the top two had missed completely. My new holes on the left - top and bottom ones into the horizontal timbers, centre one into the vertical):

cap1.JPG

Bailey sells (as 'spare parts') small circular patches of the laminate/veneer for 4p each - these are intended for covering screw heads (you can see one on the picture above, stuck on with the grain at 45 deg to the rest of the panel :doh: ), so I've ordered some of those to go over the holes (and to replace a few of the existing patches ...).

I wanted to hang a fire extinguisher on the reinforcement point for a front mount (next to the door), but Mrs BTB vetoed this! Having done all the measuring anyway I put a second TV mount there instead :D The Avtex mounts are silver but I dismantled them and sprayed them satin black to better match the interior:

cap2.JPG

Will try and find somewhere else near the door for an extinguisher - I have always carried one in my caravans (plus a bucket of water hanging on the tow hitch).

Received a new TV remote from Avtex so all sorted there now.

Attachments

• Unicorn Valencia TV Bracket fixing location.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 3
That makes life bloody awkward. I would have imagined that they would have just a square of plywood behind to spread the load. rather than that frame layout.

Anyone here tow with a W166 ML350? I've just bought one and the first time I'll tow the 'van with it will be down to Jura a week on Friday (if the FCO change their travel advice) and was wondering if I will find it noticeably different (better) than my W163, which is a great tug? Also what MPG might I expect when towing (The 163 is 18-19mpg)

That makes life bloody awkward. I would have imagined that they would have just a square of plywood behind to spread the load. rather than that frame layout.

Indeed. 32mm wide timbers don't give much margin for error - you need to be pretty much in the centre to avoid the risk of splitting them (6mm diameter screws). Also the rear TV mount is pretty close to the level of a shelf on the left. Our 16" TV just fits in below this shelf but a bigger one probably wouldn't (you need a bit of extra clearance as it has to go in then drop down into the slot on the mount). You do need it as high (and as close to the wall) as possible as the bed lifts up there. All a bit of a juggling act.

Anyone here tow with a W166 ML350? I've just bought one and the first time I'll tow the 'van with it will be down to Jura a week on Friday (if the FCO change their travel advice) and was wondering if I will find it noticeably different (better) than my W163, which is a great tug? Also what MPG might I expect when towing (The 163 is 18-19mpg)
I have towed with all generations of ML and the W166 is an excellent how car. It’s a little better in all respects except two: electronic safety systems and power/torque will both be much improved. Enjoy, and travel safely 👍🏻

I have towed with all generations of ML and the W166 is an excellent how car. It’s a little better in all respects except two: electronic safety systems and power/torque will both be much improved. Enjoy, and travel safely 👍🏻
Thanks BD, that's making me look forward to the trip even more.

We did manage to book a site in mid-July, so we'll be trying the new caravan out then.

Will try and find somewhere else near the door for an extinguisher - I have always carried one in my caravans (plus a bucket of water hanging on the tow hitch).
Do you put ducks in the bucket? ;) ;)

(If you know, you know.......)

Some more fun & games with the new caravan today. Filled the toilet flush tank for the first time ... and they'd left the drain bung out. So it emptied into the caravan, luckily just plain water (I don't use the pink additive) but wet carpets and chairs etc. in the under-bed storage. That will all take a few days to dry out.

Then I had a play with the Alde wet heating. First, there was no manual (just a few basics in the caravan handbook, and 'see the manual' for the rest). Found the manual online and printed it off. Then found that the system was losing the day & time when the caravan power was off. Double-checked the Bailey specs. and battery backup (which is an 'extra') is standard on this model. After a bit of hunting I found a battery holder hidden behind the cutlery drawer, and it was empty. Bunged in a couple of AAs (brand new) and tried again - still not working. Then I noticed that the system now said the air temp was 70.0C. Pulled the backup batteries out and it went back to 24.5C. Hmm. A bit of digging through the menus and I found an 'external temp sensor' appeared whenever the backup batteries were in. Hmm again. Took the control panel out and yes the backup battery lead was plugged into an external temp. sensor port. Moved it to the correct socket and all was good.

Earlier in the week I had the missing permanent and switched live feeds added to the Vito's factory towing electrics. Now with working Al-Ko ATC I read the manual for that and discovered that certain error conditions required the pushrod from the control unit to be disconnected before the caravan could be moved, and this needs TWO 17mm flat spanners. So I ordered an extra one of those to go into the toolkit. Also found that the error storage in the unit eventually fills up and needs to be cleared before it will work again. This is done by connecting 12V to the unit and leaving for approx. 10 hours. So ... I used the old 13-pin socket from the Vito to make a battery flylead with a a 13-pin connector on one end with just pins 9 and 13 (permanent live and earth), and a pair of croc clips on the other end. That's gone into the toolkit as well - hopefully I'll never need that either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom