For Charles Morgan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely, although as the new Regalia Secretary not yet designate of the Allard Owners Club, I think the club badge is better displayed lower down on the red K type.

The gray car has the V8 insignia of the pre-war Ford V8s, not in my book as an Allard special though - any clues Mike?

Charles
Apologies grey car slipped into the set during uploading and no clues at present. Will have a review and let you know.
Mike

It's hard to zoom in on the badge but I suspect it's a Ford Special with flathead V8, hence its class position next to the Allard flathead V8.

:rolleyes:That's exactly what I thought!:eek:

A perusal (car clubs like golf clubs live in a slightly 30s Pooteresque world) of this months Tailwagger (the Allard Owners Club magazine - aptly named) reveals the red Allard is the club Captain's Allard K1 which always competes at Crystal Palace, and the gray car is a 1937 Ford V8 special built by Leslie Ballamy, who designed the independent front suspension of the Allard. Built for speed trials and hillclimbs, it also raced at Brooklands, and was restored in the 70s by the father of the current owner, who learnt to drive in it!

Charles fantastic - what a mine of information you are. Thank you.
Memo to self - must get a copy of Tailwagger!

The mag's motto is Every day brings a new challenge, which is certainly apt for my tiny collection of classics!

What is remarkable is that a tiny owners club of about 300 produces a 20 page magazine each month, with enough new content to fill it (just). More to the point the members are remarkably helpful with problems. I think being Allard owners you can't be precious, these are cars where tinkering and hot-rodding has gone on from the very beginning, and the founding family are still represented (they would - there are two motorsports businesses that came out of the old motor company).

I would suggest Mike that its wider appeal is likely to wane after the second issue though!

Charles - I was only thinking of getting one copy, just for info you understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom