Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And the award for this year's "WTF Factor" goes to the conrods out of Mazza's variable displacement m104.

No half measure's here dude, she's proper kinky :devil:

20160612_144605_zpsit9pbjal.jpg

20160612_144557_zpsofx0yvtn.jpg

What happened Simon, looks like someone sucked up a load of water...it can't that, can it?

What happened Simon, looks like someone sucked up a load of water...it can't that, can it?

If I'm honest I'm not 100% sure what's happened here.:dk:

The damage is confined to cylinder 6, though I have only visually checked the others they seem ok. I think cyl 6 was full of fuel when the engine was fired up. Looking at the rest of their work, and piecing together the history of where and who did this swap, I think I can see how this might have happened. I'm not going to name and shame on a public forum, but I will say it was nobody on this thread.

If I'm honest I'm not 100% sure what's happened here.:dk:

The damage is confined to cylinder 6, though I have only visually checked the others they seem ok. I think cyl 6 was full of fuel when the engine was fired up. Looking at the rest of their work, and piecing together the history of where and who did this swap, I think I can see how this might have happened. I'm not going to name and shame on a public forum, but I will say it was nobody on this thread.

Was the M104 turbocharged out of interest?

Hey J

No turbo and no water contamination, initially i thought it was a headgasket issue.

we are leaning towards fuel/ignition at high RPM

LOL, only if it will improve the miles per gallon, i want more horse power, at least 100 but i want more economy.

I had a good butchers at the wiring on the blue and I can only say..holly ****!

LOL, only if it will improve the miles per gallon, i want more horse power, at least 100 but i want more economy.

I had a good butchers at the wiring on the blue and I can only say..holly ****!

Shall we fit a start stop eco function? Remember shiny paint gives you at least 100hp dude, must be true I read it on the internet.....

Shall we fit a start stop eco function? Remember shiny paint gives you at least 100hp dude, must be true I read it on the internet.....

mate, you know what, i just had a theory....hear me out on this one

what if, you know how new cars have the start/stop (bull****) save petrol thingy....and you also have the switching between 8 cylinders to 4, etc.
I reckon that's what the problem was with cylinder 6, it was a rather primitive attempt at reduce working cylinders in order to save fuel...

mate, you know what, i just had a theory....hear me out on this one

what if, you know how new cars have the start/stop (bull****) save petrol thingy....and you also have the switching between 8 cylinders to 4, etc.
I reckon that's what the problem was with cylinder 6, it was a rather primitive attempt at reduce working cylinders in order to save fuel...

Could be dude, I hadn't thought of it like that. But as we know the only way to make an m104 economical is to fit a whacking great turbo on it, so break out the spanners.:rock:

So I now have a set of Michelin pilot sport 4's on the superturbo, and it's not happy about it! The car now feels twitchy at any speed, and they definitely don't have the sidewall strength of the bridgestone potenza's they replaced. They do feel slightly better in the wet, but I'm not likely to throw the car around in a downpour anyway.

20160624_131607_zpse2tlapsj.jpg

Back to the Bridgestones in a years time I think...

20160626_174631_zpsrtcfe1gs.jpg

The car looks really lovely and the wheels suit it too. Well done, it's credit to you :thumb:

Another job done this weekend was to improve the superturbo's boost pipe work.

Before. I never liked having a 130 bend straight after the turbo, and the fact it was followed by a pair of 90 bends made the flow even worse.
20151108_115056_zpsd1wfad5o.jpg

After. It now has a nice smooth flowing 45 bend, and very large radius 90 into the intercooler. This has made a difference as the turbo now wakes up 1 - 200rpm earlier.
20160611_162008_zpsly83cvop.jpg

The car looks really lovely and the wheels suit it too. Well done, it's credit to you :thumb:

Thank's Jhon :thumb:,

it really needs the missing door trims put back on again, they've only been off for 3 years! The wheels are a staggered setup from the cls, 8.5 x 18 and 9.5 x 18. They are a perfect fit for the w124 and are one of the few wheels that will clear my front brakes. The car is rust free and it will have a full respray at some point in the future, but at the moment it's my daily driver.

That and the fact I like it looking a little rough around the edges, a detailed garage queen it isnt!:devil:

Last edited:
You're welcome and note I never mentioned anything about it being a diesel :D Rough around the edges can be cool too. ;)

So this beautiful bit of workmanship I removed from a badly running c124 this week, what a lash up! The worrying thing is that some people think this sort of thing is acceptable, needless to say this lot went straight in the skip. Sadly the rest of the car has been built to the same sort of standards, and is taking a long time to sort it all out. It's one of those jobs where the more you dig, the more you find.:crazy:

20160709_161216_zpsr4hoj0ku.jpg

Rusty steel blanking plate? certainly sir, no problem....

20160709_162606_zpsuuytg9ol.jpg

I really should of got a picture of the crankcase breather pipe connected directly to the inlet manifold, on a turbo charged engine... I sh!t you not!

Last edited:
Wow, whatever about the actual plumbing set up I can't comment but eleven jubilee clips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom