For sale; Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.2 CLK320 Avantgarde 2dr Coupé, Reg 02\2004 on a 52 plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan22

Car
CLK320
Following a suggestion I am listing my car here, to save wasting anyone's time, I will start with a statement, the car is 98% fully working the way I see it (approx), But, the rust in the rear underside is suggested as being to bad to 'fix' so I am omitting the typical Spares or Repairs line, but it would be perfect if anyone had a decent donor shell to swap into, so as far as bodywork goes it's unlikely that any of it is of any use, and the air con does not blow cold, I can't say if a recharge is all it needs, or if it's in need of any work, but it's a factor to be aware of, but feel free to ask about any questions you may have and I will let you know as best I can.

Known Faults:-
The rear underside of the shell is shot given advice from users here;
The offside (drivers) headlight lens has the typical clouding, which more often than not can be buffed out;
Air Con does not blow cold;
The battery is absolutely dead;
There is no Pollen Filter Housing, let alone a filter, the service centre said it was impossible to do the service the car requested as that part is missing.

Assuming that hasn't put you off, here are the good bits:-
The engine and gearbox work perfectly, the fact that it's been laid up (SORNd) for about 18 months now, the battery is as dead as dead can be, yet I was able to start the car on the 1st turn of the key after about 30 seconds(ish) using jump leads from a Citroen C1, I believe that speaks volumes there, as I have never had a car that would start via jump leads with a totally dead battery, my previous Vauxhall (🤮) was on jump leads for an hour and still wouldn't start.

All the Electrics work fine, with the exception of the rear number plate light, as there is some kind of short in there that the service centre told me after trying to check it out as it was intermittently working, but the windows, seats (easy entry\exit and every adjustment incl memory function), folding wing mirrors, Xenon headlights, Parktronic Parking Sensors front and rear, they all work fine, it also has Distronic - Radar-Assisted Cruise Control, which at that time must have been serious cutting edge back then.

The wheels are my greatest hope (set of 4 Wheels), they are genuine 17" AMG 5 Double Spoke wheels (I believe that's how they are referred to?), tyres are OK (245 / 45 ZR17 99W XL all round IIRC), but nothing special so you would need to check them out for peace of mind, now I am open to selling these independently of the car if that's all that comes back from this, But, it must include a replacement set of wheels plus money, I don't care if they are steel or anything, as long as they fit and roll (you get the idea), the spare in the boot is 16" steel, which I assume is the OEM type, that way I can scrap it if nothing else comes from this.

This has part service history and numerous bills, the stamps in the service book are as follows:-
Car Service Dates
Service Type
Mileage
17/05/05​
A​
12419​
13/09/06​
B​
20448​
22/10/08​
B​
35264​
31/07/09​
A​
40789​
07/06/10​
B + Pollen filter​
48137​
23/08/11​
A​
53117​
24/08/11​
Gearbox oil and filter​
53117​
15/05/12​
B​
59336​
09/05/13​
B​
68108​
23/01/14​
?​
12419​
26/03/15​
B​
89104​
17/05/19​
A​
117649 (Recorded on service Doc)​

The car was parked up and SORNd just before New Year 2020 with the mileage reading of 119256 miles in November 2019, so it will be a little higher than that, if I were to guess about 100 miles, as I only put £25 of fuel in knowing what was coming, as I only did local journeys for the most part, but I can't be certain, but I can prove November's reading, as the MoT was due on the 2nd Jan 2020, and there was no way it would have passed at that time or now without a lot of money and effort, nor at all after the kind help here trying to see what may be possible.

These are a few pic's to show the car, but TBH these were taken over a period of time as I needed them, so it's not totally true of what it is now, as it hasn't been washed or anything since it was parked up, but I will add any extra new pictures on request, everything you would be looking at of interest would be under the bonnet and inside the car, just give me a message with any questions or requests and I will do what I can for you, now my price is based on the value of stripped parts, as opposed to the car as it is, I hope you understand as I am terrible on pricing things, and I hope it's realistic, so I'm asking £1150.00, but I am open to sensible offers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190129_131001.jpg
    20190129_131001.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190129_131047_HDR.jpg
    20190129_131047_HDR.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190129_131051.jpg
    20190129_131051.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Tyre size - 20190129_130945.jpg
    Tyre size - 20190129_130945.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • Previous owners V5C.jpg
    Previous owners V5C.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 43
  • My V5C.jpg
    My V5C.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 43
Following a suggestion I am listing my car here, to save wasting anyone's time, I will start with a statement, the car is 98% fully working the way I see it (approx), But, the rust in the rear underside is suggested as being to bad to 'fix' so I am omitting the typical Spares or Repairs line, but it would be perfect if anyone had a decent donor shell to swap into, so as far as bodywork goes it's unlikely that any of it is of any use, and the air con does not blow cold, I can't say if a recharge is all it needs, or if it's in need of any work, but it's a factor to be aware of, but feel free to ask about any questions you may have and I will let you know as best I can.

Known Faults:-
The rear underside of the shell is shot given advice from users here;
The offside (drivers) headlight lens has the typical clouding, which more often than not can be buffed out;
Air Con does not blow cold;
The battery is absolutely dead;
There is no Pollen Filter Housing, let alone a filter, the service centre said it was impossible to do the service the car requested as that part is missing.

Assuming that hasn't put you off, here are the good bits:-
The engine and gearbox work perfectly, the fact that it's been laid up (SORNd) for about 18 months now, the battery is as dead as dead can be, yet I was able to start the car on the 1st turn of the key after about 30 seconds(ish) using jump leads from a Citroen C1, I believe that speaks volumes there, as I have never had a car that would start via jump leads with a totally dead battery, my previous Vauxhall (🤮) was on jump leads for an hour and still wouldn't start.

All the Electrics work fine, with the exception of the rear number plate light, as there is some kind of short in there that the service centre told me after trying to check it out as it was intermittently working, but the windows, seats (easy entry\exit and every adjustment incl memory function), folding wing mirrors, Xenon headlights, Parktronic Parking Sensors front and rear, they all work fine, it also has Distronic - Radar-Assisted Cruise Control, which at that time must have been serious cutting edge back then.

The wheels are my greatest hope (set of 4 Wheels), they are genuine 17" AMG 5 Double Spoke wheels (I believe that's how they are referred to?), tyres are OK (245 / 45 ZR17 99W XL all round IIRC), but nothing special so you would need to check them out for peace of mind, now I am open to selling these independently of the car if that's all that comes back from this, But, it must include a replacement set of wheels plus money, I don't care if they are steel or anything, as long as they fit and roll (you get the idea), the spare in the boot is 16" steel, which I assume is the OEM type, that way I can scrap it if nothing else comes from this.

This has part service history and numerous bills, the stamps in the service book are as follows:-
Car Service Dates
Service Type
Mileage
17/05/05​
A​
12419​
13/09/06​
B​
20448​
22/10/08​
B​
35264​
31/07/09​
A​
40789​
07/06/10​
B + Pollen filter​
48137​
23/08/11​
A​
53117​
24/08/11​
Gearbox oil and filter​
53117​
15/05/12​
B​
59336​
09/05/13​
B​
68108​
23/01/14​
?​
12419​
26/03/15​
B​
89104​
17/05/19​
A​
117649 (Recorded on service Doc)​

The car was parked up and SORNd just before New Year 2020 with the mileage reading of 119256 miles in November 2019, so it will be a little higher than that, if I were to guess about 100 miles, as I only put £25 of fuel in knowing what was coming, as I only did local journeys for the most part, but I can't be certain, but I can prove November's reading, as the MoT was due on the 2nd Jan 2020, and there was no way it would have passed at that time or now without a lot of money and effort, nor at all after the kind help here trying to see what may be possible.

These are a few pic's to show the car, but TBH these were taken over a period of time as I needed them, so it's not totally true of what it is now, as it hasn't been washed or anything since it was parked up, but I will add any extra new pictures on request, everything you would be looking at of interest would be under the bonnet and inside the car, just give me a message with any questions or requests and I will do what I can for you, now my price is based on the value of stripped parts, as opposed to the car as it is, I hope you understand as I am terrible on pricing things, and I hope it's realistic, so I'm asking £1150.00, but I am open to sensible offers.
OK I had a message about the wheels, so I finally got to do some better pictures of the whole wheels this afternoon, just in the nick of time thanks to the wife reminding me and saying it was starting to rain, so I got out there and took some quick pictures, as the rain started, but isn't typical that out of everywhere I could rest to steady myself to take the pic's, that I found the only single stone sticking out of the concrete hardstand, and promptly put most of my weight down before I could stop 🤬💉🚑

Anyway the wheels are in pretty good nick I think, but I'm no expert, but the front nearside wheel does have some damage, I don't think it is too bad, but it will definitely need attention to get it to what it should be, I have labelled the pic's so you can visualise them better, let me know if you want more.

Attachments

• 2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.23; Offside Rear Wheel.jpg
    2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.23; Offside Rear Wheel.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.41; Offside Front Wheel.jpg
    2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.41; Offside Front Wheel.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.55; Nearside Front Wheel.jpg
    2021 - 06 - 29_16.08.55; Nearside Front Wheel.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021 - 06 - 29_16.09.14; Nearside Rear Wheel.jpg
    2021 - 06 - 29_16.09.14; Nearside Rear Wheel.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 13
OK quick update, someone kindly pointed out an issue with the tyre sizes I had put up, and correctly so, in mitigation I was noting all the cars facts down to take action against the credit card, this was over a period of time, and quite simply I was dying at that time, I was not even able to function before Xmas, and my error is typical of struggling to put stuff like this together.

But I did say above that the tyres are not to be relied on, as it's been stood for 18 months apart from driving it forward to access the boot then back again, now the person thought they were mixed on the same axle, but I knew I'd never do that, and would spot it straight away, and is typical of what I used to do, to get the max traction I could, so here are the correct facts, and sorry for not catching it myself.

245 / 45 ZR17 99W XL are the tyres on both the rear wheels.

Now I have just noticed somethings myself, both front tyres have 94 in them, where both rear tyres have 99.
The nearside front tyre has 225 / 45 ZR17 94W XL, which includes the XL on the end, the same as the rear tyres.

The tyre on the Offside front wheel is 225 / 45 ZR17 94W, except it excludes the XL on the end of the tyre wall, I don't know if a tyre with XL can be got without XL displayed on it?
I attach some further fuller pictures to show this, I also attach the specific set of wheels that they are, as I can see it may be a factor to those who know more about these things.

Now the rear wheels\tyres are not that clear to make out, so I took a close up of each rear tyre, and rotated these close up's as needed so your not reading them upside down, that is a right pain in the neck lol.

Attachments

• Front Nearside Wheel.jpg
    Front Nearside Wheel.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Front Offside Wheel.jpg
    Front Offside Wheel.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Nearside Wheel.jpg
    Rear Nearside Wheel.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear Nearside tyre close up.jpg
    Rear Nearside tyre close up.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear Offside tyre close up.jpg
    Rear Offside tyre close up.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Offside Wheel.jpg
    Rear Offside Wheel.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 9
  • Wheel Spec's.jpg
    Wheel Spec's.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 10
OK I am close to getting a new car now, so this needs to go, any sensible offers are welcome.

I will also take offers for the DAB radio head unit, it's the model number; Pioneer AVH - X3600DAB, I just bought a multi head unit removal tool set, so I 'should' be able to remove it, although what I don't understand is the tool set spells it as "Pinoeer" lol, I attach a few pic's for you, if your interested I will then go and take it out and can go from there, it's supposed to be Sat Nav and reversing camera as well, but it needs extra modules to enable this, anyway let me know if your interested.

Model Number.jpgEdge Detail.jpgFirmware.jpgRadio.jpgBluetooth.jpg

Been a while trying to find another car, so much so I hadn't given this much thought, but I need this gone so taking any offers pretty much, the reg goes with it now as DVLA won't let me put it on retention without posting details to them, so more hassle than it's worth after all this, I got my section 75 claim paid out and went to put it in the paper but they blocked it saying there's an HPI issue, might be why DVLA won't swap the plate out, but I don't understand what's going on.

The car is still sat on my drive where it has been for coming on 2 years now (Google earth and street view shows it here), the credit card doesn't want it or they would have asked, so worst case it's going to the breakers, I'm too tired to mess around now, so if someone just wants just the AMG wheels, and can swap in any crud as long as it fits (steel etc), and a little money (less than they are worth as I don't want a freeloader getting them for nothing), then don't hang around.

The head unit is out of the car now, and happy to post that for sensible money, I have video of it working going through menu's etc to prove all is working, so that's sitting on a shelf now, but I add a couple more shots of it out of the car incase it makes a difference to anyone, comes with the bezel and cage, it has Nav and Reversing camera ability, they are in the menu's at least, but I'm guessing they need extra modules to do this, so open to offers on this, and happy to ship it as well, just let me know, but area's with a postage premium will have to pay the price above normal shipping, I won't make a penny here.

1IMG_20210822_204700_021.jpg1IMG_20210822_205119_954.jpg1IMG_20210822_205317_958.jpg1IMG_20210822_205412_792.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom