For sale....one lady owner....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leef44

Car
SLK 55 AMG, Suzuki Vitara
How often you see adverts boasting one lady owner on second hand cars. Walking to work in the morning I see mum's taking their children to school.

One has a Civic type-R (highly tuned engine revs to 8500rpm, needs careful warming up before exploiting its limits). She starts it from cold and screams the engine to the end of the street. Another mum I catch crunching her gear urgently trying to do a 3-point turn.

One lady owner can mean someone with very little mechanical sympathy. What are people's thoughts when they see "one lady owner"?

very little mechanical sympathy.

Exactly, like riding the clutch as they've no understanding of how it works which makes you want to get the clutch engaged at as low revs as possible.

Never lifting the bonnet is another. Although some men are guilty of that too.

I never buy a car unless the advert clearly states that it's "never been raced or rallied".

So I haven't bought a car since 1971.

Careful lady owner might be desirable feature for 1L Ford whatever, I am after an E320CDI and at best I would ignore such statement, probably will infer something negative.

If the previous was careful and was driving at say 20mph max, who knows what will happen if I try to drive it 100mph (on German Autobun, of course) ?

My wife very carefully turned the radio volume up when she heard a strange noise...thus rendering the flat tyre useless!!!

Thanks, but I already have one lady owner... no need for another.

It's one of many in-jokes in the trade about 'one lady owner' cars being wrecks.

You should see the state of some of the Motab's that go back when their lease is up, makes you wonder what mess these people live in at home.

I used to have a lady boss who was completely deaf. She gave me a lift in her company car once ... it had a manual gearbox, and her technique was to drive till it started bouncing off the rev limiter then change up. God help the person who got that at 3 years old.

Not sure really.

I'm guessing if a car was advertised 'One Manly Owner' we'd all be put off just as much?

Hehe

Ant

I'm afraid the meaning behind the term, 'One lady owner' has been diluted somewhat by unladylike behaviour and unladylike driving style, at least in my part of the country. The phrase now holds adverse connotations much the same as 'Never raced or rallied' which probably means it has been.

I had a car once that had one NUN owner - she had it for 15years and went to Lourdes in it four or five times a year - 170,000miles!!

I had a car once that had one NUN owner - she had it for 15years and went to Lourdes in it four or five times a year - 170,000miles!!

I was waiting for the punchline in your post. :bannana:

Ant.

I never buy a car unless the advert clearly states that it's "never been raced or rallied".

So I haven't bought a car since 1971.

Funnily enough on my cars I sell I never put that, as I like to explain to people that they can have the confidence to put their foot down and the car not go POP as its never been driven hard,

then again most of the cars I have owned and sold have been competition spec and over 400bhp so a bit of a nieche clientelle haha

I always disregard anything anyone says about a car, just have a proper look around it and do the proper checks on the history and also proper checks on the car itself, drive lock to lock and check for steering clicks etc

basically... TRUST NO ONE

What's the last thing a woman sees in her rear view mirror when pulling off of the motorway?

Just kidding, ladies!!

A member on here once bought a C55 with one previous lady owner, who was known to me. It was well maintained and very tidy, but the lady in question was sprint champion at Goodwood and her husband would turn off the traction control as the first thing he did whenever he got in the car. That car had been driven with a capital D..

Fortunately C55s are built to take it :)

Cheers,

Gaz

One Lady Owner.

Non smoker.

Never Raced or Rallied.

Very Reliable Runner.

Clean Inside and Out.

Hardly Used.

Full Service History.

Only Used Weekends.

Would you trust any of these phrases? So, if they didn't smoke, why did they have a smoker's pack installed?

One Lady Owner.

Non smoker.

Never Raced or Rallied.

Very Reliable Runner.

Clean Inside and Out.

Hardly Used.

Full Service History.

Only Used Weekends.

Would you trust any of these phrases? So, if they didn't smoke, why did they have a smoker's pack installed?

...and never driven in the wet. Except when you go to test drive and it is raining and that is not a problem

Non smoker.

Never Raced or Rallied.

Very Reliable Runner.

Clean Inside and Out.

Hardly Used.

Full Service History.

Only Used Weekends.

Is this my wife ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom