For the over 40's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
Noticed on Facebook today - If you are 40 or older you may think this is so true ...... :)

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious sh*te about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of **** like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a F*****G UTOPIA! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the bloody library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 5 pence!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick the **** out of us! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and f**k it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mum, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!
NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you SPOILED LITTLE RAT TARDS!!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the cooker! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You little ar****les wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or before!

Regards,
Grumpy Ole F****r

:)

Agree with most but the remote....i remember a remote at home when i was a kid but with 3 channels was it really worth it? (but i have just hit 50 not 40!)
Lol and i still don't have anything to do with facebook!

Tony.

You bloody young 40 year olds, don't really know what hard living was, no inside toilet, and yes you froze your nuts off in the winter, Only had one TV station so need for a remote then came ITV and later BBC2 in 1964, I was 13 and just beginning to thaw out from the winter of 62/3. Mum and dad smoked like chimneys, and everything was covered with led paint. When I was old enough to get a car, the only musical entertainment was a radio sat on the back shelf, no bloody good if you had a 105E Ford Anglia though. Central heating was a fire in the middle of the room, and we all burnt ordinary coal and suffered the smog in the winter, and you go on at your kids :D

Ah memories... being woken up at 5.30am to go to school with ice on the
inside of my sash cord bedroom windows,being told I will have to walk the
5 miles to school as the buses will not get through the snow.Learnt not to
complain,as the old man would give me the "got it good softlad,we had
bombs dropping on the house to get us up"routine.Kids of today eh?

Ah memories... being woken up at 5.30am to go to school with ice on the
inside of my sash cord bedroom windows,being told I will have to walk the
5 miles to school as the buses will not get through the snow.Learnt not to
complain,as the old man would give me the "got it good softlad,we had
bombs dropping on the house to get us up"routine.Kids of today eh?

woken up at 5.30...i had to go to school straight from my milk round!:doh:

Tony.

I can identify with the above. Being stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 57-61, I remember pound notes, 4d phone boxes, skiffle groups, steam trains, etc. I had a supercharged frogeye Sprite. very quick on the straight but a Mini could beat me through the roundabouts. Americans were low on the social scale. My wife had never been out with a Yank until me. Her dad owned the Dog Inn in Kidlington and later
the Prince of Wales on Charles Street in Oxford.
We travelled the world and retired to the Isle of Wight in 96. I used to look and sound like my father, now I look and sound like my grandfather.
I try not to say, "Well in my day..." or worse yet, "Well in California we do it this way..."
I told my wife, "When I ride my mobility scooter around the village, I look and feel
like an old cripple. But then I get in my lovely Mercedes and I am a man again!!"
Pretty shallow, eh? Who cares.

Agree with most but the remote....i remember a remote at home when i was a kid but with 3 channels was it really worth it? (but i have just hit 50 not 40!)
Lol and i still don't have anything to do with facebook!

Tony.

I was the remote in our house...

woken up at 5.30...i had to go to school straight from my milk round!:doh:

Tony.

Me too. I hated the people who didn't wash their bottles before putting them out on the doorstep. Not only freezing cold but slippery too, so harder to carry 5 empties on each hand! I managed to save enough to buy a bike so that when I went up to grammar school (see, told you I was posh) I could cycle the 5 miles there and back, on my own, through London. And every day it rained (or so it seemed) so I had to don my yellow billowing cape that acted like a sail in the permanent head winds. Ah, those were the days.

Me too. I hated the people who didn't wash their bottles before putting them out on the doorstep. Not only freezing cold but slippery too, so harder to carry 5 empties on each hand! I managed to save enough to buy a bike so that when I went up to grammar school (see, told you I was posh) I could cycle the 5 miles there and back, on my own, through London. And every day it rained (or so it seemed) so I had to don my yellow billowing cape that acted like a sail in the permanent head winds. Ah, those were the days.

agreed nothing worse than an empty gold top bottle not washed up with that claggy cream all around the neck:doh:Occasionally the milkman i helped would smash a few on the doorstep then explain "if they were washed better they would not slip out of his grip):thumb:
and it paid considerably more than a paper round!

Tony.

And the weather so cold that the milk froze in the bottles and pushed the top up about an inch And milk bottle tops with holes in that the birds had pecked. And our milkman had a horse and cart - he just whistled the horse to follow him.

Last edited:
Polio
TB
Rickets
Black and white snooker on TV
Nailing leather studs on your footy boots
Crackerjack

Oh how we laughed, Kids today, (tut), don't know what they're missing !!!!!!

You fancy lot with your houses. We used to live in hole in t' road, get up before we went to bed, played with the hole in a hoop because we couldn't afford a hoop………………..joking aside, I know I am getting old because I empathise completely.

We even managed to save for a house despite being on £40 quid a week. in fact we saved up for everything, Wonga ha living the dream.

Mods, do we have a RIP section as I think we've started a list... :ban:

I remember those days well,ice on the insides of windows ,old overcoats on the bed to add to the blankets,no bathroom,just a geyser,and a outside loo with newspaper in squares stuck on a nail,caught a bus to school in London,nearly every year we got a smog ,yellow/green you could hardly see 5 feet,playing on the bomb sites I would not change it for todays easy life for one second.

My mum's friend Betty was strafed by a German fighter on her way to school. She jumped in the ditch alongside the road. She was given a bolloking when she got to school for being late and muddy.

We had it easy.

Reduced job/career prospects. Astronomical housing costs. Yeah, they have gadgets - but have it easy? Really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom