For the shooters amongst us...

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do like this; but the colour is totally wrong.

I've had three Discoveries, three FFRRs and a number of other LRs. They have had their problems from time to time, particularly the second FFRR, but that might be because I ran it for some 280k miles.

I still drive a D4, and will have that or something similar until I can no longer shoot or own gun dogs.

NJSS

Can only find one pic in my post image album!

Here she is.

View attachment 100580

A special thanks to SPX who helped me along the way with purchasing ideas.
I didn't even know anything about the specs when I first hit on the idea of getting one.

Almost 6 years since purchasing, it took me over three months to find this car and my patience has paid off.

A lovely, go-anywhere comfort-mobile with adequate performance and feel good factor.
I prefer the non-blacked out windows. Looks a little more classy IMHO.

I have never even thought about changing it.
On several occasions, I have done a circa 500 mile trip in a day and could have gone around again.

It really is a great car. :cool:
Paul, that to me is the ideal Range Rover spec, and is exactly how I would spec one:

✅ Full-size, rather Sport
✅ Dark metallic paint, ideally blue
✅ Large wheels, but not oversized
✅ Light interior

Lovely 👍🏻

Can only find one pic in my post image album!

Here she is.

View attachment 100580

A special thanks to SPX who helped me along the way with purchasing ideas.
Anytime mate - half the job with these is to ignore the naysayers who’ve actually never owned one - I just can’t believe you’ve had it so long!

As I said at the time to you (and later to @Giantvanman) they are as near to an S-Class 4x4 as you’ll ever get, find one that’s been looked after and you’ll never look back.

I love the FFRR, but I can never bring myself to own one. If you get a good one such as Paul's there is no finer vehicle. But if it goes badly, it will leave you a hollowed out shell of a man and empty your bank account in the process. The Quattroporte is filed in the same folder, and I'm not ready for that sort of adventure yet after dealing with that b*stard A8. 😆

Only RR I ever drove was in the late 70s in Malawi (my bosses company car) on a sugar farm (we were building the refinery). It was used for it's design purpose - getting about off road - and the only thing that did better was a little DIahatsu 4x4 because it was so light. The RR just worked hard, had lots of grunt and difflock. Awesome machine. I was an army driver (artillery) and drove almost everything except MBTs and the RR was better than anything I'd driven (except for a Unimog).

After her accident my daughter in-law has a 2020 RR Sport from their insurance......she likes it but has chosen a Q8 to replace the Q7.

I love the FFRR, but I can never bring myself to own one. If you get a good one such as Paul's there is no finer vehicle. But if it goes badly, it will leave you a hollowed out shell of a man and empty your bank account in the process. The Quattroporte is filed in the same folder, and I'm not ready for that sort of adventure yet after dealing with that b*stard A8. 😆
I’ve always subscribed to the notion that - in the worse case scenario - I’d just sell a lemon as spares or repairs and I’ve done well over the years, the car maker that has cost me the most pro rata has been Mercedes yet I still buy them!

I love the FFRR, but I can never bring myself to own one.

I fear I may soon have to eat my own words here. I blame COVID/Boris/Mad Vlad/Liz Truss/my previous employers 😆

With the impending return of the blue snotrocket Cupra, the plan had been set for ages that the replacement was to be a facelift W212 E63. However, during lockdown I changed roles to work from home permanently bar a trip round the M25 every 6-8 weeks (initially Cambridge, now Chelmsford). I'm covering maybe 4k a year at most.

My brain is apparently trying to larch some fiscal sense into me by pointing out that the E63 is a lot of money sat around doing nothing much of the time, and that a late L322 Vogue SE or Autobiography would be a much better idea at half the price (ok, not that much sense, it's advocating an FFRR!). Your entire commute is covered in speed cameras, you can't really drive fast anymore in the UK, wouldn't you just like a nice big barge to waft around in? Interest rates are going up, things are getting more expensive, that extra 15K in the bank would be a good thing to have.

Man maths is fine, until it starts conspiring against you 😆

Reactions: Abb
With the impending return of the blue snotrocket Cupra, the plan had been set for ages that the replacement was to be a facelift W212 E63. However, during lockdown I changed roles to work from home permanently bar a trip round the M25 every 6-8 weeks (initially Cambridge, now Chelmsford). I'm covering maybe 4k a year at most.

My brain is apparently trying to larch some fiscal sense into me by pointing out that the E63 is a lot of money sat around doing nothing much of the time, and that a late L322 Vogue SE or Autobiography would be a much better idea at half the price (ok, not that much sense, it's advocating an FFRR!). Your entire commute is covered in speed cameras, you can't really drive fast anymore in the UK, wouldn't you just like a nice big barge to waft around in? Interest rates are going up, things are getting more expensive, that extra 15K in the bank would be a good thing to have.

Man maths is fine, until it starts conspiring against you 😆

I'm guessing that a new EV on a business lease / salary sacrifice scheme is not an option for you....?

Would a new EV make economic sense even with incentive schemes etc on just 4k PA use of infrequent motorway runs?

Would a new EV make economic sense even with incentive schemes etc on just 4k PA use of infrequent motorway runs?

Yes, though the downside of the business lease deal is that it has to be a lease on a brand new car, so you can only directly compare the cost to privately buying or leasing a new car. But if you buy privately a second hand car, then you can't really compare the overall costs because obviously these are different 'products'.

Company is too small to be able to offer that sort of thing unfortunately. Overlooking the other factors that aren't comparable (new vs used etc), an EV lease would be broadly similar to monthly finance payments on an E63. No asset at the end of term blows that out the water though.

Reactions: Abb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom