For those living in the North - FREE SOLAR PANELS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks whizzkid11.

The cynic in me thinks this is just a way of harvesting names and addresses. On the other hand............

Sounds a bit too good to be true but worth a punt.

also -

* We will be installing onto roofs that fall within a 1hr travel zone from Junction 36 of the M1 motorway

It is a genuine scheme/company. The founder is a long time friend of my father and I have done a little work for them.

It's as a result of a government initiative that will pay them for the electricity for 25 years so gives some certainty on the return.

I think they only pick the most 'productive' sites - but given that it costs nothing it seems worth a go.

BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8732725.stm

Last edited:
I've had a look and all seems ok with them. 50% off electricity bills is attractive (and I have a south facing roof).

I've put my application in.

I've had a look and all seems ok with them. 50% off electricity bills is attractive (and I have a south facing roof).

I've put my application in.

I have a south facing roof too our back garden is a real suntrap (when it's out) so would be a good site for them think I'll get my application in also, let me know if you hear back from them before I do

Can you close this thread please.
I am 54 minutes from this and a great south facing roof, in fact what an amazing show home it would be for the company.
So, close the thread so I have more chance of getting the install :D

Hmm - 10 minutes, 24 minutes or almost an hour?

I guess two out of three wouldn't be a bad result. :D

It's been big business down here and our Government was actually handing out rebates for homeowners to install solar panels. And,yes you can make money by feeding the grid with excess power. But, as a home owner in my city found recently when late at night the house caught fire , the fireman suddenly had to stop fighting the fire at day break. The house became live as the solar panels began producing juice...LOL!

Just had a call - house looks spot on (it's about 2 degrees of due south) and an engineer is calling to measure up on Friday.

My father had solar panels installed on his roof last year. Though he had his installed under another government scheme where a subsidy of £2500 was offered against the installation costs of £7500. Once installed he owns the electricity he generates and sells the excess back to the grid.

A few important things to note. Most electricity is generated during the day. However for most working families most electricity is consumed during the evening. The electricity is sold back to the grid at a lower rate than you buy it back. I'm not aware of an effective on-site storage system, so what you don't use is instantly sold back.

I'm not knocking this free solar panel offer, quite the opposite, but showing the limitations. If you plan on living in your home for a long time and are retired it may be worth calculating the costs of owning your own solar panels.

Free, yes. But you are giving someone else a mighty big free ride.

All this works because the Government’s Feed-in Tariff Scheme (FITS) will pay the owner of the system 41.3p per kWh even if the electricity is used by the householders at the property on which the system is located. If the electricty is "exported" a further 1.5p per Kwh is paid. All payments are RPI linked

So who would own the system? Well it could be anyone who fancies it as an investment, you or me included.

Deal is I stump up £15,200 plus 5% VAT, so about £16K in total for each system (can buy as many as I want) which can be located on any suitable roof in the UK. It is mine, registered at the Land Registry under a unique title number and on the FITS register administered by OFGEM.

Yep, my income producing property will be on your roof.

Want shot of it because you want to sell and the potential buyer does not like the looks of it? ? No chance: you have granted me a right in perpetuity.

OK you get the "free" electricty which is of course a benefit.

What I get is a a guaranteed income for 25 years which is index-linked and will (according to those flogging these schemes) provide an "average" return of about 7% per annum.

I say "potential" because the calculations are based on a 3Kw output. The system in this thread is rated at 3.3Kw so they have to maintain about 90% of rated output over their life, which seems optimistic. Did I mention that some companies flogging the investment side of these schemes are not FSA Regulated? No? Well I have now.

The best potential deal for a single installation is of course is to get the PV system on your own roof. You then get "free" electricty, get paid 41.3p per Kwh generated plus another 1.5p per Kwh for that you export and have control over the kit on your own roof.

A shade greener? A shade more gullible is more like it! If you are seriously contemplating it run the documents past a lawyer first. If you have a mortgage check with your provider also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom