For those that own a VW Beetle..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They were such easy cars to work on, I could (and sadly needed to regularly) drop the engine in around 15 minutes.

You had to be very careful about putting it back in though. The tinware that surrounds the engine has to be sealed back in as it creates airflow for cooling. I didn't bother once and blew the engine up on the M4.

I love this types of post, I have the same green screewdriver as the chap in the video so I am half way to completing the task.

Keep em coming guys, there are to many vids out there for one person to discover so we need guys like Verytalldave to publish them hear when he finds them.

By the way how tall is very tall dave?

VW belt change

This is the saw my woodman uses to cut up the wood he supplies to me. It will not start with the drive belt in place,so they start the engine then place the belt onto the pulleys. They are not big on "elf and safety" in France, having said that, note the bicycle tyre over the saw teeth!

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I've been thinking about that video and although it looks useful, can't help thinking that it is no more than a party trick. If a new belt was required, then the tension would need to be adjusted. So the job wouldn't be as quick as the video suggests.

Agreed it's a party trick, but what a good one.

On the face of it, it looks pretty safe if you're careful, but to anyone who has pinched their fingers in a static belt before, it looks horrific.

Ian.

Dont forget old style v belts run a lot looser than the hyvo style belts we all run now.

Did read a whlie ago about a bloke with a stanley knife cutting the cambelt on the engine lengthwise with the motor running, then engine off slip new belt on then cut off second half of old belt and push new one fully home, braver than me.

Lynall

Lynall

Dont forget old style v belts run a lot looser than the hyvo style belts we all run now.

Did read a whlie ago about a bloke with a stanley knife cutting the cambelt on the engine lengthwise with the motor running, then engine off slip new belt on then cut off second half of old belt and push new one fully home, braver than me.

Yep, the new poly-vee belts have tensioners, so there's no chance of getting them off without a big surprise, and probably mangled screwdriver and pulley...

I've seen a 1.6 16V Astra munch through about 2/3 of it's cambelt width when an engine mount bolt fell out and got wedged against the crank sprocket. Luckily my mate heard the bang and the munching noise and turned it off sharpish, got recovered by the RAC and investigated it at home.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom