For those who think you can use a mobile whilst driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whoever did the staging on that should be shot. The on coming car is obviously stationary when the cars collide..

I've posted this up before and think that every driver should be shown it. OK it's obviously staged but it gets the message across.

This is always going to be a problem, give 6months ban if caught, i bet that will be heard.

If people could drive it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is there should be intelligence and means testing before a licence is issued. Keep idiots and those who cant afford insurance / properly maintained vehicles off the road.

A great video that I too have seen before. I believe it was shown on TV in part of Wales but nowhere else. It should be shown at peak time throughout the UK. It's disturbing and meant to be.

I'm all for banning everyone caught using their mobile whilst driving. The police need to stop all this softly softly approach where they just wag a finger. They should have sessions throughout the country where they stop everyone using a mobile, show them the video, then give them an invitation to appear in court. It's getting ridiculous now. It's becoming rare to go out without seeing someone driving whilst on the phone. And I don't think hands-free use is much better. It's another distraction that we can't afford on our roads today. We all managed to get around without them just a few years ago, why can't we now?

I agree with Knighterrant. I too seem to see more and more people either on their phone/texting/social media ing. Short sharp shock i believe - i think a lot of people would support a three/four strikes and you're out punishment. Mind you i guess you get that now with points accrual. This morning i saw a 40 tonner in the high street texting [well thats what it looked like] whilst driving. Now that is inexcusable.

I text all the time and email. I don't see the problem with it? Many modern vehicles let you do this via voice control with built in infotainment that reads messages to you and allows you to dictate messages back. If people need to keep in touch there are legal ways to do this.

Texting and crashing does seem to be an inevitability when it is performed by people who cant drive at the best of times.

Texting is easy to detect in case on a crash. The police can obtain the exact timing from the mobile phone provider's record.

But these days smartphones are in fact held-hand computers where you can check your email, catch up on the news, or even watch a film.

Not to mention twit or update you Facebook profile. Or bid on eBay, or...

Unlike texting, it is very difficult to prove that a driver has been engaged in any of these just before a crash (unless there happens to be an independent witness around).

Texting is therefore no longer the main problem....

Great vid, should be shown on prime time TV on a regular basis.

Unfortunately i see this kind of thing on a all too regular basis at work..

I text all the time and email. I don't see the problem with it? Many modern vehicles let you do this via voice control with built in infotainment that reads messages to you and allows you to dictate messages back. If people need to keep in touch there are legal ways to do this.

Texting and crashing does seem to be an inevitability when it is performed by people who cant drive at the best of times.

Whilst dictating may be legal ( or at least not unlawful ; there is a distinction ) , the problem lies with the mental distraction from the task of driving , just as it is with a hands free conversation on the telephone .

As taught to every student of advanced driving - driving requires your full concentration which is defined as ' the full application of mind and body to a particular endeavour , to the complete exclusion of everything not relevant to that endeavour ' . Thus any other activities can only be detrimental to the task of driving and a driver found to have been engaging in other activities is liable to be found negligent and subject to prosecution .

If I had my way it would be an instant ban.

I entirely agree.

Nowadays you can sit in traffic and watch the other drivers eyes disappearing downwards as texts are being typed/read.

I have a built in voice activated phone system in my mercedes which puts caller id on my dash and radio. The dialing is by voice but I still find its still distracts me from 100% concentration on the road but I can not think of a better solution. Despite having this I always try to stop or miss a call and return it later.

The issue I wanted highlight was the mobile in hand or even on the lap with an earpiece. it takes hands to control or dial which should be controlling the vehicle.

Just watch the so called "professional" drivers many of whom seem to think the rules of the road does not mean them. Just go to any motorway bridge and see how many are on the phone whilst putting their foot down

GH3382

Whilst dictating may be legal ( or at least not unlawful ; there is a distinction ) , the problem lies with the mental distraction from the task of driving , just as it is with a hands free conversation on the telephone .

As taught to every student of advanced driving - driving requires your full concentration which is defined as ' the full application of mind and body to a particular endeavour , to the complete exclusion of everything not relevant to that endeavour ' . Thus any other activities can only be detrimental to the task of driving and a driver found to have been engaging in other activities is liable to be found negligent and subject to prosecution .

OK ban sat nav, radio, children and passengers then... All are distracting to one degree or another.

There is no way to distinguish which is more distracting. Taking your eyes from the road is not a good idea. Beyond this how do you quantify it?

A telephone conversation is ( and has been shown ) to be a greater distraction than any of the others mentioned . While the exact reasons may not be entirely clear it has been theorised that they include your concentration being drawn to a place away from the road on which you are driving , and the person on the other end being unaware of your situation therefore unable to react to it in the way that a passenger in your car who can see the traffic situation can .

I tend to avoid taking or making calls in the car for exactly the above reason , even though I too have had proper hands free systems for years .

In the case of passengers , adult or children , I tend not to get too involved in conversations when driving , will drop out of them altogether , and have even been known to ask others in the car to be quiet if things get busy on the road ...

Radios playing in the background , or sat nav , which has been programmed before setting off , are in no way distractions ( I normally don't look at my satnav and just listen to the audible directions which generally come in good time - if a direction is too late , I ignore it and wait for the next update ) .

Pontoneer is right and there's research to support it - a telephone conversation with a person not present is by far the most distracting of all.

Try talking to a person while he or she are on the phone with someone else, then compare the response with that of a person interrupted while engaged in a conversation with a person actually present in the room. You are far more likely to be ignored by the former than by the latter.

The original guidelines as published when hands free became mandatory some ten years ago do permit use of mobile phone where the handset does not need to be held for any part of the call, however it clearly states that calls while driving should only be made if absolutely essential and the conversation should be kept to minimum (e.g. letting your spouse know you will be late home due to a traffic jam).

And use of mobile data devices is banned altogether meaning that texting, email, and Internet browsing are not permitted under any circumstances.

I hate people who are on the phone when driving,deserve all they get,hopefully a large tree.See so many texting,how many more have to die before these idiots stop doing it.

I hate people who are on the phone when driving,deserve all they get,hopefully a large tree.See so many texting,how many more have to die before these idiots stop doing it.

So you want people on hands free calls to die?

Nice - what a pleasant person you must be.

I'm a few generations in tech behind you, but can use bluetooth to make and recieve calls in the car. I try to avoid doing this as I prefer a quiet driving environment but its a legal and safe enough way to communicate to tell someone you are on your way but running late due to roadworks etc.

Sorry not a fan any more,used to be back in the day but not now bunch of hooligans.
Top Gear thread for reference sakes

Cheerful chap aren't you ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom