Ford Bridgend plant to close in 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Ford's engine plant in Bridgend will close in September 2020, union sources have said, with the loss of 1,700 jobs.

Ford 'to close Bridgend plant in 2020'

I've not much sympathy for the workers that have been there 30-odd years and will receive a handsome pay out so close to retirement. They have been on a good earner for very many years, probably better than their skills would earn them elsewhere.

I wonder if TVR and/or Aston Martin can take on some of the younger guys?

Just saw this on the news, inexperienced workers on £46k, experienced are on £60k and team leaders £100k.

In the local area they must be living like Pablo Escabar.

So a guy who has been there for 30 years can expect how much? Is their redundancies capped at all??

Somewhat inevitable with the shift to EV and the imminent collapse of Jaguar LR.

Why build a new factory in Wales with all the bureaucracy, negotiation and cost when you can build a new factory in Asia stress free and be welcomed.

So a guy who has been there for 30 years can expect how much? Is their redundancies capped at all??
Average house price for that region £162k, do you think that they are worried?

That doesn’t actually answer my question does it?
No, it doesn't.

However, I might be advertising my BMW 140i and the Mrs' SLK in the Bridgend area soon, I'll make a killing!

The Ford employees might be sorted, but these large factories usually provide jobs and income to very large number of local people.

I used to contract for Delphi for 15 years... the security staff were employed by a contractor, as were the cleaners, the dining room and canteen were operated by a local firm who won the bid every year, the recycling was taken away by a local recycling contractor, etc etc etc.

And this is before taking into account local manufacturers who made various parts and other suppliers.

A factory closure will inevitably have devastating impact on the local community, especially in those locations where the factory is built near a small town.

Some stats from Ford Bridgend

• 1,700workers

• £3.3bnvalue to Welsh economy over 10 years

• £140mWelsh Government support

• £45,000average annual salary
Source: Welsh Government/Unite

Just saw this on the news, inexperienced workers on £46k, experienced are on £60k and team leaders £100k.

In the local area they must be living like Pablo Escabar.

How much do Ford pay their workers in Mexico, Brazil or other third world countries?

How much do Ford pay their workers in Mexico, Brazil or other third world countries?

You should subtract from that the government subsidy Ford are getting in the UK - which based on Greenmanslk's figures above averages at £8.2k per employee per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom