Ford Focus Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The _Don

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mb
Diesel 2005 - 2009 max budget £5k do not mind high miles example
Cheers

This ones worth a look owned by my mate since 10,000 miles well maintained

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec 5dr [Euro 4] [Climate Pack] Diesel

only selling as daughter wants a smaller car

Diesel 2005 - 2009 max budget £5k do not mind high miles example
Cheers
Be very very careful if you intend to buy a focus with the 1.6 PSA engine.

These engines have suffered very badly from infrequent servicing( but not always due to infrequent servicing or incorrect oils) and the use of oils that are not low saps and not 5.w30.
This has led to premature failure of the turbo, however fitting a replacement turbo is not the answer as it will soon fail again.
The failure is caused by carbon build up in the engine and the blocking of the oil feed pipe.
Cleaning out the system before replacing the turbo will work for some engines but usually when the problem appears at the turbo the engine is beyond saving.
The Peugeot and Citroen use the same engine, as does the Mini, albeit with a timing chain fitted rather than a belt.

PSA Engine ?

PSA engine is a shared development engine and was fitted by Ford Peugeot Citroen, Volvo and others. There's nothing wrong with this engine the last example in my car did 170,000 but as pointed out it must have a full DEALER history if high mileage as the wrong oil causes the problem already described. Another vunerable point is the DPF has to be changed at 80,000 if its not been changed bank on £600 for a new one or £350 ish for DPF delete and remap. If you dont want the hassle stick to the 2.0 diesel but fuel economy suffers, the PSA engine will easy clear 60 mpg in anything it;s fitted on a long run. My mate has a Volvo V70 with 1.6 PSA and it does 62 mpg on a run. Just be careful and check the car history :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom