Ford MKI Capri

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My only claim to fame in the Capri department was that I once drove a friend's heavily modified 1984 2.8i. What a beast it was.

And an honorable mention to the Capri's rival from the same period:

20190215-233125.jpg

Never owned one but I always had a soft spot for Capris.

The original Ford Capri was of course the 1960s Consul based version:

Ford Consul Classic - Wikipedia

When I lived in Walton on Thames many years ago somebody had an immaculate low mileage one laid up in their garage. A learner driver passing by lost control of their car, shot down his drive at high speed and ploughed through the garage door ... causing massive damage to it. He wasn't happy ;)
If only they had stuck a little V8 in it!
1920px-1962_Ford_Consul_Capri_1.3_Front.jpg

If only they had stuck a little V8 in it!
1920px-1962_Ford_Consul_Capri_1.3_Front.jpg

These really are pretty looking cars (Consuls) the colours do make a big difference to them. I love the bubble style roof & screens with the twin headlights.

I recall being driven around in one when in my yoof and working weekends at the Go-Kart track at Butlins in Ayr, Scotland. The guy who owned the consul also had a tweaked up Ford Corsair (Similar to this one).

618f09345c50340969f00687edaa10e1.jpg

We flew up the, fairly newly opened, Ayr > Kilmarnock, bypass at just over 100mph. A feeling I still remember well. Happy days. It had one of these rectangular strip/moving bar speedometers and a chrome everywhere. He had an aftermarket cloth sunroof, which I remember burst & tore open one day, when somebody opened a window (not me).

I owned a MKI Lotus Cortina.

The one pictured is in the same colours mine was, minus the door numbers/decals.

e6d02211111172a81616267041e52de9.jpg
This was bought from a Policeman. It had been raced and damaged and hated the damp weather which would ensure non-starting for days.

It finally blew a core plug. To replace that we knocked a hole through the firewall with a chisel. Then attached a new plug to the end of a hammer shaft with some grease and punched it in.

The car eventually just gave up the ghost with mechanical failure after failure. We then sold it on again (after it was stolen returned)

Happy days, or maybe not [emoji1782]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ford Classic /Capri was I believe the last of what might be termed the heavy metal UK Fords. With the introduction of the Mk 1 Cortina we saw a significant change in stamped steel monocoque chassis engine compartment design which conveyed a distinct power to weight ratio advantage in subsequent Ford models giving them a deserved sporty reputation.

I had a ford corsair as a company car , loved it, bench seat and column change , great for an evening out with the girlfriend!

In naming the 1969-74 Capri the Mk 1
Ford were essentially choosing to ignore the existence of the original Ford Classic/Capri it was such a marketing embarrassment to them.

I had a ford corsair as a company car , loved it, bench seat and column change , great for an evening out with the girlfriend!
My neighbour had a Ford Pubic. It was made out of a load of Corsairs. :p

My first car was a 1973 Capri 1.6 XL I think. Put a piano frame in the boot as living in north of Scotland at the time the back end never did behave but was great fun! Still got a soft spot for them. Mine rusted to death and sadly didn’t have the time, money or ability to fix it so sold it.

And an honorable mention to the Capri's rival from the same period:

20190215-233125.jpg

Not sure the Manta was really a rival in the UK till the mid '70s when this second version (both coupe and hatchback, and also sold by Vauxhall) came out. The first one was quite unusual here (a teacher at my school had one, which he managed to roll into a ditch :D). I had the Vauxhall version of the coupe (same body shape as above) .. rarer and better looking IMO than the hatchback.

Back in the day I knew somebody who owned this heavily customised MKI 3.0 V6 Ford Capri.

The car was painted in a black flip glitter with air brushed scenes on the bonnet & boot lids. Sat on Wolf Race Alloys it was fun. Even in those days people would steal bits from it (note the missing petrol flap).

My mate liked his Capri. He just grew out of It.
b73e64cf45b2b5cb93456aeeaf6c2c83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not Mk 1 , but these have been sitting for a while near Stonehaven .

Could be a Mk 1 under the cover ...

Google Maps

I've had three over the years, a Mk2 3.0L S, and two Mk3's a 2L and 1.6L Laser. Mates Sister had a baby Pink Mk1 :D
My biggest Ford now i regret selling was a absolutely stone mint Mk1 3.0L Granada Ghia I had.

I had a Mk 1 Granada 3.0 Ghia - lovely car. Pretty basic by modern standards though - steel wheels, manual windows, manual sunroof, etc.!

I never much cared for the Capri, the best bit about the mk1 Capri was that the front McPherson Struts and the complete braking system fitted the mk2 Cortina which I fitted to my old mk2, they were from a GT Capri, the suspension had zero movement in it and what with an after market servo system added to the brakes made it real sharp for stopping.

This popped up in the google, watched every minute of it!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom