Ford Puma, any good?c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
I am thinking of buying a Ford Puma as a second car, as it is front wheel drive which will get me through the winter and hopefully a future classic so won't loose any money on it when I resell it.
Anyone had one of these?

ford fiesta under the skin so expect rusty floor and sills, engines generally ok, coil pack and leads tends cause missfire, spark plugs can snap in head if handnt been changed for a while.

Mrs Ted had one from new for around six years.
Cracking car. Handled well, felt fast, reliable well equipped and generally a joy to drive and own.
Boot is surprisingly big and deep - the rear seats fold forward to give plenty of space.
BIL had three, including an FRP which is a very different car, but actually didn't feel that much faster. It was also a very rough ride.

On the downside, although quality was generally good, it was let down by some fairly typical Ford issues - rust was starting to appear on sills and tailgate, the leather steering wheel was looking decidedly shabby, and there was some general areas of wear and tear.
Mercedes quality it is not.
We also had to replace a clutch and slave cylinder - a common problem I am told as the slave cylinder leaks onto the clutch components, but this was the only issue during the time we owned it.
Replaced by an R170, it took Mrs Ted over a year to stop saying she preferred the Puma - it was that good.
Stick with thew 1.7 - apparently it was much better than the 1.4

Wife had the Puma Racing. Fabulous car (should never have sold it). They look timeless. Great fun cars to drive. Very pointy but stick well. As ted says usual Ford niggles. Lights mist up in the wet (known issue) front wheels rubbed on full lock (I think this just affected the racing version).

Biggest issue by far. I couldn't get the wife to let me drive very often.

Yes a friend had one very picky with her cars but always maintains them. Her view was that it was a fun car and in 60K miles not one single problem with it. No rust when she sold it. As always choose carefully!

Good wee cars but prone to rust--- rear wheel arches are the classic rust point------ evidently old Peugeot 104 front wings or some such have the right profile for surgery+fabrication of replacement parts . There used to be a couple of good internet forums on them.

I broke the habit of a lifetime back in '98 and decided I would get a FORD.

The puma 1.7vct duly arrived after 5 months. I liked the Steve McQueen ad that went with the car

handled well, I liked the shape and it seem to be ok.

Wet weather was amusing as the hatch lid pours into the boot. Minor issue.

then the recall to have the brake cylinder changed......no issue, booked it in and they gave me a focus to play around with for a week. (Now that was rubbish).

went for a country lane drive when the puma was back....no problems.:rock:

following day, doing about 25mph....total brake failure....and I mean total. Solid pedal....no braking.......hmmmm....:doh:

Car came to rest ok, I was a bit out of breath.......however, I could then replicate the issue on demand.......car returned to dealer...13months old.....see ya.

Hello Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 days later........:thumb:

Managed to never get a FORD since.........but that V8 Mustang is now pulling on the stupid bits of my brain.

.............. they gave me a focus to play around with for a week. (Now that was rubbish).

:D Contrary to Scumbag's experience, I bought an old (51 plate) Focus 1.8 petrol to see out my work days instead of the Merc. Needed a new fuel pump last year, but apart from that, a great car that really does handle well. I'd say a big step up from a Puma. The wife is happily driving it now and to think it cost just £700 3 years ago.

Thanks all for your experiences and comments on the Puma, think it's time to look at some examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom