Ford Puma?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesey

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa 156 1.8TS
Wifey - wants a "new" car (possibly a 25th wedding present). She has always wanted a Tigra, but after a quick google they seem a bit fragile as far as head gaskets go. Also the puma generally gets much better write ups - apart from, something many of us are familar with... #

...rusty wheel arches, due to poorly designed arch liners. :crazy:

Looking for a lowish miles 98/99 car (can't see any reason for spending more than that). Plenty in that region for under £2K private.

Anyone any puma experiences?

Was planning to keep our 95 Astra until the yongest learns to drive (18 months still) and then give it to one of the kids - but may just run three cars for a bit. It has a good set of tyres/brakes/exhaust etc - so if I were to commute in it for a bit the petrol savings at the moment could justify the tax/insurance (plus less wear and tear on the merc).

Ran one from new back in 1997. Great cars, look for one with a/c, cd player and heated front screen. The 1.7 is the best of the early engines (unless you like going slowly in the 1.4) but the Yamaha unit has been reported to be a bit fragile if not looked after. People like the later 1.6 but may not be within budget.
Look for suspension wear. They eat batteries. The remote locking needs constant what Ford refered to as "re-coding" aka fixing. The front lip is fairly low and the rubber liner often gets snapped off on kerbs. Make sure no-one has nicked the gearknob, and watch out it is cold on those frosty mornings! I think they look best in black.

Great fun to drive, fantastic gearbox, quick, good handling.

Please, please don't get a Tigra.

Ditto above, I ran one as a constrast vehicle to my W210 E55, my god, I loved both them for different reasons, the Puma is a go kart, and not just in comparison to a big merc, you dont have to be going fast to enjoy it, I could get round corners quicker in the E55, I just grinned more in the puma!! never found it eat batteries or problems with the central locking but maybe I was lucky, the suspension comments are right though, its the fiesta chassis with 40% stiffer springs (I worked with its designer years ago) and yes its wishbone mounts wear out a bit quickly, but because its a Ford the replacement parts are peanuts!!! (I seem to remember £30 a wishbone!) It is a very good loooking car for the money and like all Fords its good, honest cheap motoring, I think the early cars had the best looking wheels but the later ones had a computer on board which could be unlocked to reveal all the inputs to the ECU, so you could scroll through lots temps etc,

honest john review

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=112&

I know lots of car snobs, I only buy mercs, I only buy race cars, I only buy original Audi Quattros etc, when I brought my Puma everybody wanted a go and everybody loved it!

So I say go ahead and buy one, but with regards to letting a learner loose in it beware, the rear visability is shocking and you may be repainting the bumper a lot

My friend ran a Puma for 6 years and never bothered to have it serviced because he didn't do enough miles! :crazy:

Anyway, the thing performed faultlessly during his ownership and having driven it it was a great car to drive too.

If its a cheap small coupe that you're after then I think it's the best out there.

Agree

Very nice to drive if a little bug looking, nice gear stick. I had a 1.7 one for a while in between cars, good fun in the lanes.

I think the 1.4 and 1.7 look identical from outside?

Thanks - just been reading a bit elsewhere - as has been said 1.7 has had some reported issues (which seem to be related to service/oil quality) so I'll be careful on service history on those. Powerflex bushes in time.

Being a VX fan (never liked Tigras though) buying a Ford is difficult to get my head around - but whilst I couldn't be seen dead getting into the driver seat of a focus or mondeo the puma is a different kettle of fish.

Funny that, I have never like Vauxhalls , always Ford over them. IF the Puma had been say 20% bigger then they could have never botherered with the lame cat that was the Cougar.

Know what you mean about Tigras v Puma.

Hell man, whose car is it anyways ....:)

Being a VX fan (never liked Tigras though) buying a Ford is difficult to get my head around - but whilst I couldn't be seen dead getting into the driver seat of a focus or mondeo the puma is a different kettle of fish.

That's quite funny actually.

I'm a big Ford fan (since age dot) and have always had the same difficulty as you but with VX's instead and I don't know whay? :crazy:

Although with age I have come to hanker after a Lotus Carlton and even quite like the big old 3.0 Omegas. I even prefered the looks of the VX220 over the S1 Elise!!

Must be tough knowing the Mondeo has always been a better car than the Vectra ;) :D

Mrs Ted had a Puma from new before the SLK.
Brilliant car to drive, handling was still pin-sharp after 50 odd thousand miles, and the (1.7) engine was a gem.
The only issue was the clutch slave cylinder leaked, ruining the clutch - a common problem I was told.
Also it didn't handle the knocks and bangs on the sill too well - some rust was coming through.
It may look small, but with the seats folded doen, there was LOADS of room.
Mrs Ted still misses it, and often says that she preferred it to the SLK.

Funny that, I have never like Vauxhalls , always Ford over them. IF the Puma had been say 20% bigger then they could have never botherered with the lame cat that was the Cougar.

Know what you mean about Tigras v Puma.

Hell man, whose car is it anyways ....:)

Oi! I had a Cougar (V6) and loved it! :p

Vive la Difference!

Puma....great cars....seriously good fun to drive....comfortable...well built....what more can I say.

Oi! I had a Cougar (V6) and loved it! :p

Vive la Difference!

The Cougar was never a bad car, just misunderstood and sitting in a very niche market so it was always going to have it tough.

My neighbour had a 2.0lt Cougar and reckoned it did 0 to 60 in 5 seconds....oh dear!

My neighbour had a 2.0lt Cougar and reckoned it did 0 to 60 in 5 seconds....oh dear!

Only way it would do that was if it was dropped from a crane! :eek:

My V6 was fast enough for me at the time

Must be tough knowing the Mondeo has always been a better car than the Vectra ;) :D
Always?

Better is subjective anyway - especially if you don't care about ride quality. :D

My prejudice comes from too long spent fixing friends Found On Road Dead's and struggling with silly fixings, inaccessible bolts and so on. Then going back to my Cavailer where you could change the clutch without separating the engine/gearbox (sensible engineering that). Of course the modern Ford's are a little different.

Also of course I don't think "Sierra man" did anything for Ford's credibility - in fact since 3 series Beemers started out selling Mondeos I have an adversion to them as well. :confused:

I had one, and had to wait 6 months for delivery they were that popular.

has to 6 months and it got a recall for a change to the brake master cylinder as it could fail. It went in and they gave me a Focus for a week (Which had just been released and was the most rubbish car ever) and it came back.

2 weeks later the new master cylinder failed, and it suffered complete and total brake failure.

It went back to ford and I ended up and a Jeep.

I would never buy a FORD again.

On the plus side, it was very good to drive, handled well and I did like it until it tried to kill me.

On the downside, besides its murderous intentions, if its raining, when you open the rear hatch, all the water pours off the tear drop shape, into the boot. This is a by-product of this car being the first to go from CAD-CAM to production and bypass the expensive test modelling stage.

Rear seats are a bit cramped and its not good in the back for looking out of, so I have been told.

Jason Dawe on The Used Car Roadshow on ITV4 said that the later 1.6 engine is the one to go for above the 1.7 and 1.4.
Buy one now and it will almost be depreciation proof over the next year or so.

However, in Ford's defence, the water does not run into the boot of the Mondeo when opened
What about when it's closed:D

As Dinnie says the 1.6 seems to have the better reputation are far as reliability goes.

Sat in one for the first time today at 6ft I just fit in the front, could put up with a short trip in the rear. Wifey if 5'4" so she'll be OK. Few chips/knocks on that one and a very worn rubber bit on the steering wheel. Gave me an idea of the things to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom