Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting but the Japs have had normally aspirated 600CC engines with over 125bhp for a number of years now so Ford are still light years behind.

Interesting but the Japs have had normally aspirated 600CC engines with over 125bhp for a number of years now

Car engines for 1400kg cars?

Car engines for 1400kg cars?

Well no, but I don't see why they couldn't use these engines in a car. 125hp is 125hp and at 5252rpm the torque must also be identical on both engines so pulling a bigger load shouldn't be an issue at all.

125 bhp per litre is exactly the same as a Ferrari 458 :D In a Focus :eek: trouble is in the true fashion of all 3 cylinder engines it will have no torque and it's life will be incredibly short.

Now if they could get something to match the Koenigsegg at 223 bhp per litre then we are talking :bannana:

2 bhp is an average output for a 10cc engine used in r/c aircraft, so 200 bhp/litre there :)

Well no, but I don't see why they couldn't use these engines in a car. 125hp is 125hp and at 5252rpm the torque must also be identical on both engines so pulling a bigger load shouldn't be an issue at all.

Is the Japanese 600 producing 125Bhp at 5252 rpm or higher. The torque below there will be woeful and not enough for the mass of vehicle.

Manufacturers would be better not mentioning power but usable torque, however that doesn't suit most people wanting to play Top trumps with the output figures.

For older diesels Mercedes don't give max torque figures, only a minimum figure over a wide rev range, now they give the Max even though it drops off a cliff after then.

Marketing twaddle for simple people.

trouble is in the true fashion of all 3 cylinder engines it will have no torque and it's life will be incredibly short.

Not all 3 cylinder engines fall into this category - but you're right the 3cylinder car engines I've seen all die prematurely.

last year's BMW 1000RR bike produces 198 bhp from 1 litre & 83 lb ft torque :thumb:

last year's BMW 1000RR bike produces 198 bhp from 1 litre & 83 lb ft torque :thumb:

Note the torque is woeful at 40% of the power and at what revs is the power and torque produced?

If you put that engine in a regular car all you would do is burn the clutch out.

:D

[YOUTUBE]MaMLctHYz7Q[/YOUTUBE]

I believe that this SMART car has a turbocharged 'busa engine in it.....and is around 400BHP +

Power is nothing, without torque!

600cc M/B - 125BHP @ 14,000rpm, 180Kg weight - does not need much torque to get it moving!

Note the torque is woeful at 40% of the power and at what revs is the power and torque produced?

If you put that engine in a regular car all you would do is burn the clutch out.

My comparison was tongue in cheek, however as you raised a couple of points:

The BM has 198 BHP and 112 Nm at 9,750 rpm. It weighs next to nothing so the engine characteristics required are somewhat different to a car

The Mercedes A class officially produces 95 HP and 140 nm.

This chart shows why a Busa engine is such a flexible engine and so commonly put into track cars. You can also bolt on a turbo with very few internal mods and reliably run them with 400HP

Ahh I cant paste the table so you'll just have to click the link. Note that a Busa makes more torque at 300rpm than an R1 does at its peak @ 9000rpm.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2000/bus_dyno.htm

Last edited:
I have no torque issues with my CBR1000RR Fireblade, have trouble keeping the front wheel down in most gears :thumb:

Any gear, any revs, you open the throttle and everything in the side mirrors appear to be little dots....

I have no torque issues with my CBR1000RR Fireblade, have trouble keeping the front wheel down in most gears :thumb:

You must be one Fat B******d to make a Fireblade weigh in at 1450Kg.

I suspect where this engine will differ from motorbike engines is that it will have longevity and torque (being turbo charged) and will differ to Honda VTEC engines in that it will be more fuel efficient.

There's no mention of the engine's mass.....

This chart shows why a Busa engine is such a flexible engine and so commonly put into track cars. You can also bolt on a turbo with very few internal mods and reliably run them with 400HP

Ahh I cant paste the table so you'll just have to click the link. Note that a Busa makes more torque at 300rpm than an R1 does at its peak @ 9000rpm.
]

I think you mean 3,000 rpm, which A: is a very low torque figure and B: totally unsuitable for road cars.
It only generates 128Nm max, which is low and it's at 7,500rpm.
I wonder what the fuel consumption would be if geared to actually move a 1400Kg car. Probably single figures as the engine would have to work so hard.

The heavier the vehicle the more torque you need, power gives top speed, torque gives acceleration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom