Foreign diesel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrorange, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mrorange

mrorange New Member

Car:
    97 E300 TD
    Does anyone know if it would be worth taking my 97 E300 TD to the Bahamas when I move there? I know it seems crazy but cars are extremely expensive there & i need a runaround. My main concern is that the diesel they have there is very rough so this my kill the engine. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this. Thanks

2. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    A friend took his Renault Espace over there, can't get parts so it's sitting in his yard rusting! He bought second hand from Japan and imported it to Nassau.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Since Diesel cars run on waste veg oil and all sorts of concoctions , I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue .

The biggest question , I'd have thought . would be whether the costs of shipping it out there , and any import duties/taxes you might have to pay , together with any alterations you might have to make to conform with local regulations might outweigh the savings against just buying a car there ?

1 person likes this.
  4. AANDYY

AANDYY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
    Correct :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  5. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    I dont think all diesel cars run on WVO. The older diesel generation cars would cope perfectly fine, but newer cars with fancy electronics and sensors may not cope as well. As Pontoneer said it may be cheaper to buy a car out there.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vlad

Vlad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs come and go
    An E300TD is an older generation diesel so is fine on any old diesel and WVO for that matter

1 person likes this.
Tags: