Forged Alloy Wheels vs Cast Alloy Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Ok techies - forged wheels are more expensive (why?), but what other differences are there?

Forged should be a much denser and therefore stronger material.

Cast...the metal is poured into a mould. Forged means it is cut from billet.

I think.

Nah - forging is a process that increases strength for a lower weight than casting.

It's more expensive (than casting) too.

Forging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two pieces of metal, both the same size...the forged will be heavier.

However, given it's greater strength it allows for slimmer profiles and thus will be lighter.

For sure it's more dense (due to the forging process) and accordingly heavier for a like size, but forged doesn't mean it's cut from billet.

Agreed the additional strength allows less material to be used.

Forging is not cut from billet. The forging process is one where the shape of the product is formed by putting a heated (usually) lump of metal into a mould (or tool) and applying tremendous compressive pressure often in a stamping type of process. The finished product is a very dense material much stronger than a cast product which may have air holes or imperfections due to the flow of metal.

Forging is not cut from billet. The forging process is one where the shape of the product is formed by putting a heated (usually) lump of metal into a mould (or tool) and applying tremendous compressive pressure often in a stamping type of process. The finished product is a very dense material much stronger than a cast product which may have air holes or imperfections due to the flow of metal.

I think you mean forging isn't always cut from billet...as opposed to isn't cut from billet.

http://www.corwheels.com/forged-vs-cast-wheels-what’s-the-difference/

Haven't clicked on any of the links but for the sake of the thread.

There are complete cast alloy wheels. Cheapest, most brittle.

Flow formed or rotary forged wheels which essentially still have a cast centre but the outer barrel is spun and heated to increase it's strength.
Many production wheels are made like this and are not true forged wheels.

The wheels that are normally referred to as forged are milled from billet for the centre and the outers are put through a similar spinning process as above.

This is all from vague memory of visiting the Ronal factory in 2006...

Back to your question John, they are (typically) lighter and/or stronger so improve your cars unsprung mass.

Thanks Ian - I'm aware of the lighter/unsprung mass bit - I'm hoping they will be stronger and therefore a bit more buckle resistant on our crappy roads :crazy:.

T minus 6 and counting :cool:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom