Forget C-class, what about older Mercs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruce

Car
280CE (1984)
Most of these threads seem to be about C-class Mercedes, which - sorry guys - while perfectly pleasant and well made cars are about as interesting and common as a Vauxhall Vectra.

Is there anyone out there with stories/advice on older Mercs? I don't mean expensive vintage/sports stuff, just the sort of currently old bangers from the 1970s/1980s that one day, if they stay the course, will be quite cherishable. My 1983 280CE, already is cherished (by me anyway) despite the body rust, ongoing electric window problems, dead aircon etc etc. It's already the coolest car in the carpark (so long as there is no serious competition about!). Let's keep these old beauties alive before they all disappear.

Anyone else on this wavelength or am I in the wrong place?

I agree with you Bruce, I enjoy reading and looking at photographs of members older Mercs.
Although I am guilty of always owning a new or newish Car, because I do not have the time to maintain an older Car.
I am envious of you having such a Wonderful Car, I hope one day to buy an old classic (not the trim level...lol) and spend my spare time working on it.
Please post some pics

Best Regards
Joe

Welcome to the forum Bruce! :D

This is a forum for all mercedes owners/enthusiasts, people are free to chat about their cars, regardless of model, we don't discriminate. It just so happens that certain models are very popular :) .

There are several members who own w123s and I'm sure they're more than happy to discuss them with you, if you try the search link you might find there are lots of interesting threads about w123 e-classes :) .

Hi Bruce, im definately a big fan of 123's, i have two 200's at the mo....
Im always v happy to help with any problems if i can....

Hi bruce
I have a 190 and like the older Mercedes.
I had a 1987 560 SEC before the 190 great cars for not much cash

Hi Bruce,

As Shude and others have said you're in the right place :) There are also a few owners of W201 190E's here too as well as W123.

My previous car was an '86 190E and I can understand your preference for the older models. So why did I trade my trusty 190E in for a C Class? Unfortunately it was costing too much in minor niggles to keep on the road so I decided something more modern would better suit my needs. In some respects I still actually prefer the design of the W201 over the W202 especially around the rear lights.

Hope you enjoy the forum :D

S.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to our forum.

Yeah, we are a bit C-Class oriented, there just seems to be more of us. Not too sure I like the Vectra comparison - the whole point is they are a few cuts above a Vectra and that's why we are here.

Still, it isn't a C-Class forum so hope you stick around.

You might find this forum interesting though MBOA , they have more of a mix of cars I find, might be more to your taste.

tee hee - our '89 W124 just fits into the 80's category :).

and our W123 which we parted company with recently certainly did.

There's a nice cross section of cars/owners here all with different outlooks and knowledge.

Welcome, and enjoy :)

Andy

Originally posted by Brian WH
Don't forget the new boys with their toys.:D :D LOL

M8, but your E-Class is about as exciting to discuss as a Vauxhall Omega. :D

Me runs (fast).

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
M8, but your E-Class is about as exciting to discuss as a Vauxhall Omega. :D
Me runs (fast).

Jealousy will get you nowhere.:D :D

I do agree that I would like an older model to "Play With".:cool: :cool:

Jealousy will get you nowhere.:D :D

I asked for that.

I do agree that I would like an older model to "Play With".:cool: :cool:

Yeah. You mean like something that doesn't cost £360 to fit a K&N filter to? Yes, a project car would be nice.

Mind, if I had that sort of tinkering money I believe there would be something shaped like a Caterham 7 or Westfield in my garage.

Originally posted by Bruce
Most of these threads seem to be about C-class Mercedes, which - sorry guys - while perfectly pleasant and well made cars are about as interesting and common as a Vauxhall Vectra.

Is there anyone out there with stories/advice on older Mercs? I don't mean expensive vintage/sports stuff, just the sort of currently old bangers from the 1970s/1980s that one day, if they stay the course, will be quite cherishable. My 1983 280CE, already is cherished (by me anyway) despite the body rust, ongoing electric window problems, dead aircon etc etc. It's already the coolest car in the carpark (so long as there is no serious competition about!). Let's keep these old beauties alive before they all disappear.

Anyone else on this wavelength or am I in the wrong place?

Nope, right wave length. New ones are nice but have no history as yet. Both mine are old (cant afford a new one lol) but have shed loads of history and enjoyment putting them right when they fall sick.

Hi Bruce and welcome aboard mate!

I have a year old C220CDi estate and really really rate the car. Its a cracker bar none. Yet I can appreciate the joy in having a mature MB with history and character. I would genuinely have gone down that road if wifey (bless her) didnt object on the grounds of reliability and image etc. She has a point with regards the former because im sooooo useless when it comes to mechanicals. With regards "image", im with you all the way mate. Maturity and character ROCK!:rock: :bannana: :rock:

Mine will be a classic one day, I just happen to own it now. It’s 6 yrs old and I’ll be happy to keep it for at least another 8 years. It’s my way of avoiding car dealers, I’ll just pay to get it fixed when it goes wrong. Then in 2011 I’ll put it in the garden as an ornament and remember the good times we’ve had. Or if it’s still worth anything flog it:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom